Sign in to follow this  
Sir Creep

Biggest 'miss(es)' by the DL Committee 2016

Agree with guesty to a point. His health hasnt had the media coverage of say Joost, even though he was a sportsman.

Fair play to Joost getting the career out of Union. Much like its bastard offspring of League and NFL , it ain't a sport.

Skiing can fall under the 'hunting, shooting, fishing' rule, and thus 'is'.

Agree with guesty to a point. His health hasnt had the media coverage of say Joost, even though he was a sportsman.

Fair play to Joost getting the career out of Union. Much like its bastard offspring of League and NFL , it ain't a sport.

Um....

His health hasnt had media coverage. Therefore it's not a miss at all. Sorry Guesty we don't wear 20-20 Hindsight glasses around here.

It's only a MISS if we've posted about that person a time or two and said person is left off DL. Saudi King last year e.g.

SC

• Like 1

well, the first American Olympic gold-medalist in the downhill, Bill Johnson, is quite a big miss, given that he wasn´t able to sit for the last 3 years, could smoke only with assistance (!) and had been talking about assist suicide recently...

Could smoke only with assistance. Got to love that!

Guest Droosy

well, the first American Olympic gold-medalist in the downhill, Bill Johnson, is quite a big miss, given that he wasn´t able to sit for the last 3 years, could smoke only with assistance (!) and had been talking about assist suicide recently...

Could smoke only with assistance. Got to love that!

lol, there was a quite broad coverage of his health issues: Later in 2010 Johnson, who had suffered a series of mini-strokes over the course of the previous ten years, fell victim to a massive stroke and was moved to a long-term care facility in Gresham, Oregon. Due to the stroke, Johnson lost the ability to sit up unassisted and could no longer use his right hand. He also lost sight in his left eye and further lost the ability to speak above a whisper. He also suffered great pain when swallowing, which made feeding him difficult.[32]

In June 2013, Johnson contracted an infection that nearly took his life. He was placed on life support while doctors worked to fight the infection. Johnson elected in July to remove himself from life support and refuse further treatment.[33] He said that the next time something like this happens, his wishes were to be left alone so he can die.[citation needed] As of February, 2014, after a return to long-term care, he was free of infection, able to move one side of his body, eat and smoke with assistance, and communicate using a letter board

Um....

His health hasnt had media coverage. Therefore it's not a miss at all. Sorry Guesty we don't wear 20-20 Hindsight glasses around here.

It's only a MISS if we've posted about that person a time or two and said person is left off DL. Saudi King last year e.g.

SC

I would add that a miss is someone who was on DL in the past and then dropped. Well that's what I would view as a miss

Um....

SC

I would add that a miss is someone who was on DL in the past and then dropped. Well that's what I would view as a miss

I agree with SC - if many people have been crying out a name to be added and it isn't and they die - that is a miss!

Someone who has been on the list before who dies isn't a miss in my mind. I wouldn't call Eddie Large a miss if he went as the general consensus seemed to be that he wasn't right for the list in the first place

Um....

SC

WHO GIVES A FUCK! They're gone, they're dead, they weren't on the list, oh well!

• Like 6

Let's see if John Jay Hooker obits cuz his death was more than certain, and as I say, living people (albeit more name recognizeable) don't obit.

SC

• Like 1

Boom boom boom , of course he's recognisable.

• Like 3

Committee is off their game in 2016. How could they miss Black dying from an auto accident when they were able to foresee John Nash's demise last year.

• Like 6

Committee is off their game in 2016. How could they miss Black dying from an auto accident when they were able to foresee John Nash's demise last year.

I do hope you're kidding.

You need to polish up your irony and sarcasm detector! Been in the USA too long :lol:

• Like 7

You need to polish up your irony and sarcasm detector! Been in the USA too long :lol:

That, and more sleep needed.

Dammit, I suppose there will still be whiners about misses if DL would have 50 hits. Not likely to happen, I admit, but at least possible.

If only these people not on the list would just stop dying.

Wogan: Another Mahoosive miss by the committee. How could they not have seen this coming? He missed the Euro contest and everything. There are more people dying that are not on the list than those that are on it. Shocking oversight.

• Like 1

He hasn't done the Eurovision for years so that was hardly an indicator of severe ill health. And he missed Children in Need because of a back problem. This thread really boils my piss.

• Like 3

Mine too Lardy, my apologies if my attempt at tongue in cheek/sarcasm isn't as clear as I might have hoped.

Guest Droosy

George Gaynes?

George Gaynes?

I think it's fair to question his absence. He's 98 (the committee loves that shit); he's well known enough; and MorbidKid brought him up in discussion so it wasn't a secret (though whether the committee reads these pages remains one)

SC

• Like 1

I have no idea who George Gaynes is/was.

You will know the face the Commander from Police Academy or the awful soap actor in Tootsie.

You will know the face the Commander from Police Academy or the awful soap actor in Tootsie.

Never seen any of the Police Academy films, been ages since I've watched Tootsie and before you mention it. I never watched Punky Brewster.

The thing is, hindsight is great after the event. And yes, people are going to say "hey I told you so about..." but if you look at how many well known people have already died this year and then realise you've only got 50 spaces on a list. There's outrage if you leave someone off, and the same if opt for one person and not another.

• Like 1