Sign in to follow this  
Sir Creep

Biggest 'miss(es)' by the DL Committee 2016

Question is if she's such a big miss, why is she not on the Crowdsourced Deathlist?

Not enough votes.

She finished in 136th place.

Harper fucking Lee? You cocked up here fellas./

As far as I remember, there wasn't much evidence of illness, plus the longevity of her sister may have been a factor.

• Like 1

Well she was apparently unhealthy enough for them to speculate elder abuse, and I think there were reports of her being blind and stuff.

But can't blame the committee. I didn't have her. Most people didn't.

Well she was apparently unhealthy enough for them to speculate elder abuse, and I think there were reports of her being blind and stuff.

But can't blame the committee. I didn't have her. Most people didn't.

Actually you don't have to be unhealthy to be the victim of elder abuse.

The definition is "a term referring to any knowing, intentional, or negligent act by a caregiver or any other person that causes harm or a serious risk of harm to a vulnerable adult."

Being "blind and stuff" (deaf, wasn't it?) doesn't kill you. Unless it causes you to suffer a fatal accident, which is presumably why she was in a care home latterly.

As for the "elder abuse" (who the hell thinks up these phrases) my guess is that was all part of the controversy about the "new" book.

• Like 1

Being "blind and stuff" (deaf, wasn't it?) doesn't kill you. Unless it causes you to suffer a fatal accident, which is presumably why she was in a care home latterly.

As for the "elder abuse" (who the hell thinks up these phrases) my guess is that was all part of the controversy about the "new" book.

Toast,

Elder abuse is the term given to the manipulation of a senior citizen / OAP who is in a vulnerable situation usually for monetary gain.

An example of which was a city here in Minnesota was hit by a tornado / straight line winds. There's a high population of OAPs in that city who either didn't have anyone that they could call to remove a fallen oak tree from their driveway, or other areas from their property. So their prices increased in some cases by 300%

I know what it means, I just hate jargon. We used to call that sort of thing "taking advantage of (whoever)".

• Like 2

In an effort to suggest people who are actually famous (And would warrant a UK Obit), I suggest Harper Lee, author of To Kill A Miockingbird. Turning 86 next April, she currently lives in an assisted-living facility, had a stroke recently, is wheelchair bound, partially blind and deaf, and suffering from memory loss.

When I originally proposed her inclusion on the list she had a lot more obvious ailments. In march of last year she was said to be "in excellent health", so I can see why she was left off.

I know what it means, I just hate jargon. We used to call that sort of thing "taking advantage of (whoever)".

It's essentially the same thing, but it's all that legal nonsense. I had to do my annual compliance training course on elder abuse. The multiple choice questions and scenerios are exaggerated to such a degree that there's no way on earth that they would be a situation you would encounter.

Harper Lee has her own penthouse in this thread, thanks to yanking her from 2015 DL.

SC

As the proprietor of the Literary theme team I doubly kicked myself. Just thought she wasn't ill enough.

• Like 3

Mr Slocombe's in the house!

Seeing as I predicted Joey Feek would be the #1 overall selection this year by the committee, if Harper Lee has the penthouse in this thread, Feek has the foyer and concierge area. An absolutely ridiculous exclusion from the 2016 list.

SC

Seeing as I predicted Joey Feek would be the #1 overall selection this year by the committee, if Harper Lee has the penthouse in this thread, Feek has the foyer and concierge area. An absolutely ridiculous exclusion from the 2016 list.

SC

I'll beg to differ if I may, well, I will anyway, whether I may or not, he he.

On a UK list such as this, I'd expect people to appear who are:

Famous/infamous Brits.

Internationally famous/infamous people.

I'd expect the basis for the test of whether someone is famous/infamous or not to be whether the name is instantly recognisable: alternatively, they should be able to be named in the top 100 names given by over 75% of the UK public across all ages questioned in a hypothetical poll on 31 December of the preceding year.

In answer to the question, name a famous country singer, Feek doesn't qualify.

• Like 8

What you need to understand SC is that they don't put just anybody on the list. They don't put nobodies like Asif or Smith or Angelil or Feek on the list. The people have to be of some significance in Britain or the world in general.

• Like 11

I had never heard of Joey Feek until she got sick. Many of my friends (quite a few are country musicians ) were not familiar with her either. Christian Country music is such a small niche. So as for Feek being a miss, I would say "bollocks".

• Like 2

I would just say bollocks to this whole thread.

• Like 8

Biggest miss? The point.

• Like 7

Was George Martin known to be ill or in poor health at the end of 2015? He certainly would've been famous enough to be included.

If Feek had been included it would have put the whole purpose of this website in doubt. And the end of that particular slippery slope would be to choose Asif frigging Hassan or whatever his name was

• Like 2

Sir Peter Maxwell-Davies was on MY list. He shoulda been on theirs.

MISS.

I'd say Davies is their only real major miss this year. Feek is on the iffy side as far as list worthy and Harper Lee didn't have any known illnesses when she died.

• Like 1

I'd say Davies is their only real major miss this year. Feek is on the iffy side as far as list worthy and Harper Lee didn't have any known illnesses when she died.

Going forward I'd say this year is a reality check regarding the longevity of rock stars. We're probably in a golden dead pooling era for obitable types in that camp and one thing that's prevented us all from freely picking them is their capacity to rock on and apparently ignore the obvious health issues of long-term smoking/recreational drugs etc. I'd brought myself to the point of picking Lemmy for a couple of dead pools this year and he died just before I entered those pools. But Frey/Bowie/Lemmy etc. might be the leading edge of a deluge over the next few years. The one thing the trio shared was heavy smoking for many years and a fondness for cocaine. That's harmful to hearts and immune systems over decades. So, it's harsh to see Frey as a miss but... I'm reckoning the 2017 list might rock a little harder.

Rob Ford, anyone?