Sean

Personal Thoughts On Death

I'm turning 50 this year as well. I don't fear death. My family has an overall history of dying young; however, Nana and Nannie lived to ripe old ages respectively. My mum passed at age 43 (ovarian cancer) and my father at age 64 (diabetes). No other immediate family members made it out of their 70's. I've mentioned before that I figure I'll go between 65 and 70. As I come up on 30 years without my mum and having been 10 years longer without her than with her as hard as it has been I like to think I've done okay. Am I living the dream, not really but I am living on my terms. I've had the hard conversations and my friends know my wishes. If I die tomorrow I know that they will do right by my kids. No regrets.

Lol, it seems we are all either born in 66/67/68 or post 2000 :lol:

Definitely seems a disproportionate amount of 48,49 & 50 year olds on her.

• Like 1

Lol, it seems we are all either born in 66/67/68 or post 2000 :lol:

Definitely seems a disproportionate amount of 48,49 & 50 year olds on her.

I hit 50 last year, under the circumstances of that time, I had no desire to celebrate it.

I hit 51 a week or two back and I still had no desire to celebrate it.

Birthdays can fuck right off.

• Like 1

I'm 49 in 3 weeks, and I'm wanting a bottle of Laphroaig to magic itself into existence , not did that since I had 110 proof for 40.

Birthday...my kids will do nothing, BFF(1) will take me out for dinner and BFF(2) will forget, call me a week later and suggest we get together for lunch and then I won't hear from her again until I wish her a happy birthday in December. Gotta love routine.

Birthday...my kids will do nothing, BFF(1) will take me out for dinner and BFF(2) will forget, call me a week later and suggest we get together for lunch and then I won't hear from her again until I wish her a happy birthday in December. Gotta love routine.

Sounds like you need a new BFF #2.

Sounds like you need a new BFF #2.

That is just me being cynical about birthdays; she's a good person. She is there for me when it really counts. Last September, she dropped everything to be by my side while I dealt with my daughter.

• Like 2

I am not afraid of death and positively look forward to the peace and quiet that I hope comes with it.

I'm 30 currently turn 31 at the end of March and i don't fear Death either to be honest with my past drinking(Which has included being passed out Drunk in the street more times than i care to remember after Drinking the equivelent of a Litre plus of Vodka in 2 or 3 hours leading to Hospital admissions or drinking up to 70 pints of Lager a week, Drink Driving thankfully i didn't hurt or kill anyone, my biggest regret in life and still don't drive now out of choice because of it, being beaten up and mugged and coughing up blood plus numerous other things i have lived most if not all of my 9 lives. Thankfully i don't drink now and haven't touched a drop in almost a year apart from a glass of Buck's Fiz at new year and life is better without it but i know i won't be dry forever and my luck will run out eventually) and Epilepsy(Which included me turning blue on occasions, though i haven't had a seizure in about 16 years ) when i was younger i'm amazed i'm still here to be honesft and if i died tomorrow i wouldn't care but i hope i live for years to come, hope to live into my 70's but i don't want to end up like Zsa Zsa and linger on forever with no end in sight, life is for living and we should make the most of it but being a vegetable like her and not being able to do the basic things in life would be my worst nightmare. As i say don't fear death just hope that when the time comes it is quick and not too much suffering though i still believe i'm indestructible.

• Like 1

i don't want to end up like Zsa Zsa and linger on forever with no end in sight, life is for living and we should make the most of it but being a vegetable like her and not being able to do the basic things in life would be my worst nightmare.

I agree. Being in a coma/vegetative state is my worst nightmare! If there's no chance of me waking up anytime soon, just euthanize me.

I have a fear of dying stupidly, or dying early from someone else's stupidity. It's a perfectly rational and valid fear with "people" like my mum around.

Her Waynetta Slob hygiene standards have been bad for my health since day one, both cos of the stress and embarrassment it causes, and the actual bacterial threat it poses. There's nothing you can do if you're stuck with people who clearly not only have no self-respect but enjoy ruining it for people who do.

It also applies to the people of this country at large, if they don't have the will to deport (or prevent the entry in the first place) of people who pretty much openly say they are only here to kill unbelievers, there is nothing (or very little) I can do about that.

I think I do actually fear death. Or maybe the manner of death. I watched my sister, from age 39 to her death at 43, gradually degrade into a swollen, incomprehensible cabbage, ravaged by a brain tumour and an asshole 'husband', and have had to deal with the consequences left for her three children. And I am currently watching my nan, my intelligent, witty, lovely, lovely nan being destroyed by Alzheimer's. She doesn't know who anyone is and she shits herself. Meanwhile grandad is so distraught that he's drinking himself to death. In the wise words of Cypress Hill, I ain't going out like that. I'd sooner jump in front of a train.

And when I do go, who watches out for my daughters? Their fathers are a pair of cunts.

So yes. I think I do fear death, and the aftermath, whether I know about it or not.

I'm 43 this year.

Does a pair of cunts, beat a pair of twats.

Interesting thread here, people! As another who's on the wrong side of 50 now, I think I have earned my right to some thoughts on the subject along with the assorted "kiddies' here sharing their opinions.

I suppose one views life - and death - always from the type of life that each of us has led, naturally enough. I tend to view the world rather cynically for perfectly valid reasons and events which have happened to myself over the years since those much-missed days of childhood. Not that there haven't been many episodes where I very much have enjoyed life if generally only for short periods, but I think the fear of a bad death rather than death itself concerns a great many of us of whatever age. I have had to see several relatives die some nasty deaths ranging from dementia to cancer to ALS among some other "wonderful" things out there searching for us - one aunt made it to 100, but her mind left awhile before that mark. I most likely have picked up some chances at a long run given the ages some of my ancestors reached, but that is not always a great thing, of course. Do I fear the Reaper (with apologies to Blue Oyster Cult, of course)? I should have to say no now - reaching the point where there's more life behind than ahead seems to help ease the fear of dying curiously enough, in my case, anyway. I still have some goals I would like to reach, although I'm not spending my time shivering in terror of death overtaking me unexpectedly. Given the rise of terrorism in the States, it just might in such a manner, but I won't let myself be be ruled by such possibilities.

Despite being a relative youngster I have no fear of my own death - I believe death to be another chapter in our journey - not in the religious sense, or even a spiritual one, but in a practical sense and if it isn't I'm reasonably with happy with how life's gone so far. What I actually fear is the effect my passing would have on closest family members and friends and for that reason I'd hope to outlive them and struggle with letting new people into my life in a close sense. I also utterly dread the eventuality in which a family member actually dies - at the age of 20 I'm very very lucky not to have had this experience in the close family sense yet (my grandparents died when I was too young to remember events, and family who have passed on since then have been very extended and not well known to me) - I don't have a point of reference or blueprint on how to handle such a situation and feel like I'd be unable to deal with it on both the practical and emotional front. Despite the near certainty that I will have to deal with this situation at some point (although, I hope not for many many years) I'd be incapable.

I think I do actually fear death. Or maybe the manner of death. I watched my sister, from age 39 to her death at 43, gradually degrade into a swollen, incomprehensible cabbage, ravaged by a brain tumour and an asshole 'husband', and have had to deal with the consequences left for her three children. And I am currently watching my nan, my intelligent, witty, lovely, lovely nan being destroyed by Alzheimer's. She doesn't know who anyone is and she shits herself. Meanwhile grandad is so distraught that he's drinking himself to death. In the wise words of Cypress Hill, I ain't going out like that. I'd sooner jump in front of a train.

And when I do go, who watches out for my daughters? Their fathers are a pair of cunts.

So yes. I think I do fear death, and the aftermath, whether I know about it or not.

I'm 43 this year.

Does a pair of cunts, beat a pair of twats.

Depends on the game.

I am not afraid of death and positively look forward to the peace and quiet that I hope comes with it.

Aye, no more Tractors, sheep, cabbages, sheepdogs.............. :P

• Like 1

Guest Alias Undead

I was fortunate in being in the right place a few times in my life having met and partied with my favorite musicians and actors, bedded a lot of women with no STDs and did a whole lot of drinking and drugging. Just turning 50, disabled by numerous invisible health problems I feel are punishment for the error of my ways, and single with no family or true friends, I look toward my Presbyterian upbringing.

Having been taught that all riches are in Heaven, I am ready to go! The quicker I can get out of here without jeopardizing my eternal soul, the better. I look at the world now and am grateful I have no children to leave behind. My future quality of life depends on the cost of car insurance, the price of gasoline and heating oil, rent, and points to assisted living or low income housing in some high crime, urban neighborhood. From the price of food and housing, the low wages of average jobs, and world politics including ISIS, I cannot see a way for the US to avoid another Civil War or go to sleep without fear of retribution for poking our noses in other country's politics.

My generations parents could have lived their entire lives without knowing what their favorite singers like Sinatra looked like. In today's society we know what they eat, wear, are driving or sleeping with, etc. With , the Internet and social networking, I believe there will be a huge increase in depression and drug and alcohol use as well as their costs for treatment as we feel more like friends than fans. The death of young stars like Amy Winehouse, Heath Ledger, Philip Seymour Hoffman and increasing ages of icons like recently passing David Bowie, the surviving Beatles, Zeppelin, Sabbath, DeNiro, Eastwood, and the like.

When my doctor recently suggested a colonoscopy for prostate health, I said NO THANKS, I'm not interested in prolonging the inevitable.

"Suffering brings experience. Nothing forces us to know what we do not want to know, except pain. For it is better to die once and for all than to suffer pain for all one's life."

"They sent forth men to battle, but no such men return,

And home, to claim their welcome, come ashes in an urn."

Aeshlcylus, Agamemnon 458 B.C.

Guest Alias Undead

I was fortunate in being in the right place a few times in my life having met and partied with my favorite musicians and actors, bedded a lot of women with no STDs and did a whole lot of drinking and drugging. Just turning 50, disabled by numerous invisible health problems I feel are punishment for the error of my ways, and single with no family or true friends, I look toward my Presbyterian upbringing.

Having been taught that all riches are in Heaven, I am ready to go! The quicker I can get out of here without jeopardizing my eternal soul, the better. I look at the world now and am grateful I have no children to leave behind. My future quality of life depends on the cost of car insurance, the price of gasoline and heating oil, rent, and points to assisted living or low income housing in some high crime, urban neighborhood. From the price of food and housing, the low wages of average jobs, and world politics including ISIS, I cannot see a way for the US to avoid another Civil War or go to sleep without fear of retribution for poking our noses in other country's politics.

My generations parents could have lived their entire lives without knowing what their favorite singers like Sinatra looked like. In today's society we know what they eat, wear, are driving or sleeping with, etc. With , the Internet and social networking, I believe there will be a huge increase in depression and drug and alcohol use as well as their costs for treatment as we feel more like friends than fans. The death of young stars like Amy Winehouse, Heath Ledger, Philip Seymour Hoffman and increasing ages of icons like recently passing David Bowie, the surviving Beatles, Zeppelin, Sabbath, DeNiro, Eastwood, and the like.

When my doctor recently suggested a colonoscopy for prostate health, I said NO THANKS, I'm not interested in prolonging the inevitable.

"Suffering brings experience. Nothing forces us to know what we do not want to know, except pain. For it is better to die once and for all than to suffer pain for all one's life."

Seems I should have added a bit more or had more thought before I posted earlier

My Parents, grandparents, and their siblings all died over 80, the eldest 93. I can't imagine living another 10 let alone 40. And I express my condolence to family, friends, and fans of Motorhead legend Ian Lemmy Kilmeister. I partied with him as well

Seems I should have added a bit more or had more thought before I posted earlier

My Parents, grandparents, and their siblings all died over 80, the eldest 93. I can't imagine living another 10 let alone 40. And I express my condolence to family, friends, and fans of Motorhead legend Ian Lemmy Kilmeister. I partied with him as well

Bollocks.

And it's Kilmister.

• Like 2

I expect death will turn out to be a great big disappointment, much like life really.

• Like 6

I expect death will turn out to be a great big disappointment, much like life really.

More than likely, I'm not a great believer in God and the after life either.

Guest Alias Undead

Bollocks.

And it's Kilmister.

Thanks for the insightful thought provoking reply. I have always liked intelligent conversation.

I believe that death will be exactly the same as the time before my birth - total nothingness. I guess this leaves the door open for reincarnation with minds wiped clean between incarnations.

• Like 1

Bollocks.

And it's Kilmister.

Thanks for the insightful thought provoking reply. I have always liked intelligent conversation.

To be fair, Lardy, Lemmy must have partied with loads of people, so some of them are bound to crop up.