Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Sir Tony Lloyd was one of two MPs who nearly died from COVID-19 hospitalisations earlier on in the pandemic.

The other is the seldom seen Ealing Labour MP Virendra Sharma (wiki). 77 in April. I don't expect him to live to an extreme age so worth keeping an eye on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

Given he was on my final shortlist and no sod picked him I feel similar.

My gut told me to pick him but looking up his condition suggested he could well have lasted several years longer. He did worse than all the statistics for his condition would have suggested.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Sir Tony Lloyd was one of two MPs who nearly died from COVID-19 hospitalisations earlier on in the pandemic.

The other is the seldom seen Ealing Labour MP Virendra Sharma (wiki). 77 in April. I don't expect him to live to an extreme age so worth keeping an eye on.

You are forgetting Yasmin Qureshi who was also hospitalised .

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I note that he doesn’t have a proxy vote so when he does vote he has to be there in person (As he did yesterday and presumably will today.) The criteria for proxy voting seems vague enough that a lot of health conditions can be covered.so if an MP doesn’t want to come for a while they could get one. 

He has not yet confirmed he is standing down but I suspect he might well do close to the election so a candidate can be parachuted in to entirely remove the involvement of a chaotic local Labour Party. 

53 minutes ago, Sean said:

You are forgetting Yasmin Qureshi who was also hospitalised .

Aye, and Boris Johnson. Though I'm not sure how serious Qureshi's case was.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I note that he doesn’t have a proxy vote so when he does vote he has to be there in person (As he did yesterday and presumably will today.) The criteria for proxy voting seems vague enough that a lot of health conditions can be covered.so if an MP doesn’t want to come for a while they could get one. 

He has not yet confirmed he is standing down but I suspect he might well do close to the election so a candidate can be parachuted in to entirely remove the involvement of a chaotic local Labour Party. 

The proxy votes list atm is VERY interesting. If someone can find a copy of it I'll run through it.

A lot of sick MPs currently (though some are on maternity leave too so it's not always indicative of poor health).

My prediction is we'll probably get another incumbent MP death before the next election.

30 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The proxy votes list atm is VERY interesting. If someone can find a copy of it I'll run through it.

A lot of sick MPs currently (though some are on maternity leave too so it's not always indicative of poor health).

My prediction is we'll probably get another incumbent MP death before the next election.

Yesterday and Today are good days to find them because pretty much everyone is voting and there are not  many absences, 

Yesterday I can see the following used proxy votes. 

Tory

Lucy Allen 

Stuart Anderson 

Richard Bacon

James Duddridge 

Helen Grant  (Breast Cancer)

John Howell (Stroke)

Jane Hunt 

Kate Kniveton 

Craig Whittaker 

Independent 

Diane Abbott

Andy McDonald

Labour

Taiwo OwatemI (Maternity Leave)

SNP

Amy Callaghan  (Long term ill health) 

Angela Crawley

Allan Dorans

John Nicolson

Phillippa Whitford 

34 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Aye, and Boris Johnson. Though I'm not sure how serious Qureshi's case was.

Jo Stevens was hospitalised with Covid as well in January 2021. 

On 19/02/2023 at 12:14, arghton said:

Yael Dayan has suffered from COPD for 17 years and it has advanced to the point they've done a tracheotomy on her. She was also in serious condition three years ago.

Edit: Image from last summer

dayan.png.943213dca9b798f83cbc71a1093c7317.png

Apparently not the first time the death of someone still alive has been announced in the Knesset - former minister Amnon Rubinstein was announced dead in 2000 when he was in hospital, still alive 23 years later, now 91.

Amnon Rubinstein has died for real this time, aged 92.

• Like 2

On 17/01/2024 at 18:39, The Old Crem said:

Yesterday and Today are good days to find them because pretty much everyone is voting and there are not  many absences, 

Yesterday I can see the following used proxy votes. 

Tory

Lucy Allen 

Stuart Anderson 

Richard Bacon

James Duddridge 

Helen Grant < breast cancer

John Howell < suffered a huge stroke around Christmas

Jane Hunt 

Kate Kniveton 

Craig Whittaker

Independent 

Diane Abbott < very ill atm; rumoured to be Parkinson's

Andy McDonald < led to believe he had cancer in the past, may have returned

Labour

Taiwo OwatemI < actually on maternity leave, not ill. Ignore.

SNP

Amy Callaghan < chronic problems with cancer

Angela Crawley

Allan Dorans < very ill, told he has bone cancer

John Nicolson < told he had MS, has been absent for long periods of time as a result

Phillippa Whitford 

Alright, edited this to the best of my knowledge (my additions in red).

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Alright, edited this to the best of my knowledge (my additions in red).

Have you got a source for that info about Whittaker, I can't find anything to back it up

1 hour ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Have you got a source for that info about Whittaker, I can't find anything to back it up

Nor can I. Not publicly at least... Maybe someone with insider connections can confirm (or at least affirm it's not untrue)?

1 hour ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Apologies.

It was Craig Mackinlay who had near fatal blood poisoning, not Craig Whittaker. I get the two of them confused. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

James Duddridge looks very different if you compare 2014 to 2023 

James_Duddridge_October_2014.jpg

s465_james-duddridge.jpg

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Apologies.

It was Craig Mackinlay who had near fatal blood poisoning, not Craig Whittaker. I get the two of them confused. 

No amputations publicly disclosed for him either for what it's worth. Just an induced coma that he got out of relatively quickly.

1 hour ago, Comped said:

No amputations publicly disclosed for him either for what it's worth. Just an induced coma that he got out of relatively quickly.

He lost a leg and a hand. That information was passed on to me from another MP.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, Deathrace said:

James Duddridge looks very different if you compare 2014 to 2023 

James_Duddridge_October_2014.jpg

s465_james-duddridge.jpg

Just lost weight I'd say. Difference like that over 9 years wouldn't be dramatic IMO

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Jesus Christ.

He is not currently on the list of retiring MP’s so it will come out publicly if he does stand again. 

Duddridge is standing down through so is Howell. 

7 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

Jesus Christ.

He is not currently on the list of retiring MP’s so it will come out publicly if he does stand again. 

Duddridge is standing down through so is Howell. 

Yeah, I noticed that. Makes me wonder if Duddridge is ill.

With regards to the list of MPs standing down on Wiki... I will add that there is going to be quite a few more Tory MPs standing down last minute. Some are waiting until the last minute to see just how fucked the Conservatives will be at the next general. There will be one or two from other parties e.g. Diane Abbott isn't on there but I've been told privately she's leaving. Corbyn will fight as an independent given that he's decided against a run at the London mayoralty.

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Well then, I retract my statement.

On 30/11/2022 at 16:28, arghton said:

Alejandro Giammattei, President of Guatemala since 2020, hospitalised with upper gastrointestinal bleeding but already discharged yesterday. Overweight, has multiple sclerosis, a pacemaker, hypertension and other ailments

Alejandro Giammattei accused by US of significant corruption. Possible consequences might not be good for his health. It was also recently revealed that the quoted hospitalisation was due to cancer, but he claims he's recovered now.

Her Husband Barrie Taylor is a former local councillor for Westminster.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, Octopus of Odstock said:

Remember him well, a decent man. Sorry to hear of this.

One of the first elections I have a vivid memory of (I was a very nerdy 11 year old, whereupon he was elected as Cambs' inaugaral Police & Crime Commissioner). I doubt we will ever see a Conservative MP in Luton in my lifetime (unless we switch to STV and it gets amalgamated with various parts of Bedfordshire - and this assumes the persistence of a "Conservative" party in the UK after the forthcoming general election). 

• Like 2