Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Defence Secretary Austin had prostate cancer - reportedly treated and cured. To clarify: he had the surgery for the cancer in December. The January hospitalisation was as a result of a UTI following the surgery. 

• Like 11
  • Shocked 1

I thought so. Prostate surgery can make you impotent. That might be too embarassing for a military man.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Defence Secretary Austin had prostate cancer - reportedly treated and cured. To clarify: he had the surgery for the cancer in December. The January hospitalisation was as a result of a UTI following the surgery. 

The last time I checked, getting prostate cancer treated is not an elective procedure like the Pentagon has been claiming. And the UTI isn't exactly a minor complication unless it's caught early. I wonder if Congress or Biden knew about the reason behind the December surgery... And I certainly hope they did before this point.

Yes, that's outrageous.

Biden could have put him into his DDP team if he had known it in December.

• Haha 14

Seeing how CNN are reporting it you can understand why he tried to keep it quiet.

Kinda backfired…

I think this medical disappearing thing happens more often than is uncovered.

Trump did it himself in 2019.

"Elective" means scheduled, meaning it was a non-emergency.

It's hard to really tell on what level of concern this whole thing is. The Deputy Secretary took over duties but wasn't told the health reasons why for 3 days; also reports saying she was on "foreign" travel were false as she was in America (Puerto Rico). I get the press being confused by this story but it seems they kicked up some falsehoods to create more controversy.

A bigger military deal to me was what "Coach" Tuberville did holding up promotions for the past year, in order to block women's healthcare rights. Look at his state's newborn syphilis and maternal death rates; his policies drive doctors out of states and they drive people out of the military. Just my perspective as an actual American who was a military kid and had no choice in what shitty state we lived in.

I doubt Biden will try to replace Secretary Austin anyway; the Senate has been holding up the Labor seat for months, and it just had to be renewed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lilham said:

I think this medical disappearing thing happens more often than is uncovered.

Trump did it himself in 2019.

"Elective" means scheduled, meaning it was a non-emergency.

It's hard to really tell on what level of concern this whole thing is. The Deputy Secretary took over duties but wasn't told the health reasons why for 3 days; also reports saying she was on "foreign" travel were false as she was in America (Puerto Rico). I get the press being confused by this story but it seems they kicked up some falsehoods to create more controversy.

A bigger military deal to me was what "Coach" Tuberville did holding up promotions for the past year, in order to block women's healthcare rights. Look at his state's newborn syphilis and maternal death rates; his policies drive doctors out of states and they drive people out of the military. Just my perspective as an actual American who was a military kid and had no choice in what shitty state we lived in.

I doubt Biden will try to replace Secretary Austin anyway; the Senate has been holding up the Labor seat for months, and it just had to be renewed.

Biden already said he won't - just as likely he couldn't if he wanted to!

• Like 1

French Louis Le Pensec, former senator and Minister of Agriculture (1997-1998) has died aged 87.

Also known because his name literally means "the big butt" in Breton language !

Edited by Sinbabad
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Sinbabad said:

French Louis Le Pensec, former senator and Minister of Agriculture (1997-1998) has died aged 87.

Also known because his name literally means "the big butt" in Breton language !

He would have been popular in his French public school! ;)

Ngethe Njoroge (wiki) died on December 24, 2023, aged 95. Obit.

Mentioning because...

1) he's a pick in several pools on here (and maybe a disqualified one in several now)
2) he's the father of Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine
3) his ex-wife Mary Morello (wiki) is notable as an anti-censorship activist and is currently 100 years old (she's also Tom's mother)
4) he was Kenya's High Commissioner to the UK from 1970 to 1979

• Like 8

Diane Abbott and James Duddridge both getting six month long proxy votes which normally indicate health conditions. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Ngethe Njoroge (wiki) died on December 24, 2023, aged 95. Obit.

Mentioning because...

1) he's a pick in several pools on here (and maybe a disqualified one in several now)
2) he's the father of Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine
3) his ex-wife Mary Morello (wiki) is notable as an anti-censorship activist and is currently 100 years old (she's also Tom's mother)
4) he was Kenya's High Commissioner to the UK from 1970 to 1979

Morello posted on Instagram his 95th birthday, but not his death. Think he would get way more coverage than this, he looks like a typical Sun fodder ("Tragedy strikes Tom Morello as dad passes away").

On 01/11/2022 at 12:05, arghton said:

Ahmed Boulaleh Barreh, 93: Djibouti's old Minister of Defence.

Ahmed Boulaleh Barreh died in 2010.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drol said:

Morello posted on Instagram his 95th birthday, but not his death. Think he would get way more coverage than this, he looks like a typical Sun fodder ("Tragedy strikes Tom Morello as dad passes away").

Little media coverage but lots of tributes on Facebook from Kenyan MPs and friends, including pictures of the funeral programme and photos from the funeral itself. Tom Morello was a pallbearer and there’s plenty of pics of him at the service.

This doesn't sound good for Tony Lloyd MP (Labour MP for Rochdale) who has had a lot of health issues in recent years 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

This doesn't sound good for Tony Lloyd MP (Labour MP for Rochdale) who has had a lot of health issues in recent years 

According to some folks I know who have connections into Labour, it's not good at all...

7 minutes ago, Comped said:

According to some folks I know who have connections into Labour, it's not good at all...

I wonder if he has been selected on the DDP this year. He is on @msc Alt obit team. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I wonder if he has been selected on the DDP this year. He is on @msc Alt obit team. 

He was nearly on my DDP team but not. Someone will have picked him.

Surprisingly not a DDP pick. He's the second sub on Sean's MP theme team, but that's the closest he came.

• Shocked 1

43 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Surprisingly not a DDP pick. He's the second sub on Sean's MP theme team, but that's the closest he came.

He was in my final 40, but as he seemed active and the blood cancer was under some level of control, I thought against it.

I'm surprised he didn't make it on someone's list, especially a theme team.

One of those rare beasts, a dedicated MP to his consistency and by all accounts, a decent chap. Sorry to read this.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Thatcher said:

Ed Broadbent, Leader of Canada’s New Democratic Party from 1975-1989, has died aged 87.

One of my grandma's favourite politicians. She's been dead for years now, so no loss to her I guess...

On 01/11/2022 at 12:05, arghton said:

More:

Joseph Lagu, 93/91: South Sudan ancient.

1930:

Ahmed Osman, former Prime Minister of Morocco

Bulcha Demeksa, Ethiopian Oromo federalist.

Mabandla Dlamini, former Swaziland Prime Minister

Marie-Thérèse Houphouët-Boigny and Maria Nyerere, widows of founding despots.

1931:

Cleopa Msuya, former Kenyan VP and PM.

Sylvester Ugoh, Nigerian biafra politico.

Frédéric Guirma, Burkina Faso politico.

Pié Masumbuko, Ancient Burundi prime minister.

Jonas Mukamba Kadiata Nzemba, DR Congo former governor and diamond company head.

Ebun Oyagbola, Nigeria's first female govt minister.

Aminu Dantata, Nigerian politician. Widowed 2023.

Ali Ben Salem, Tunisian activist.

Burkina Faso politician and diplomat Frédéric Guirma (Wikidead at 92

• Like 2