Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

On 16/04/2022 at 16:39, drol said:

Here's your unrequested list of provincial Chinese politicians born before 1940. Three centenarians, a 98 year old, and a lot born in the early 30s.

Provinces:

Shaanxi

Zhang Boxing (1930)

An Qiyuan (1933)

Chen Andong (1936)

An Qiyuan, Shaanxi province secretary 1994-1997, dead at 90.

• Like 1

Abdullah Badawi hospitalised in ICU with respiratory failure .

Of course, despite being wheelchair-bound advanced dementia sufferer, he is in good condition and not in danger.

• Like 2

On 09/06/2022 at 21:23, arghton said:

Carlos Figueroa Serrano (1930) Minister Economy, Development and Tourism 1969-1970, Minister of Foreign Affairs 1994, Minister of the Interior 1998-2000

Sergio de Castro (1930) Finance Minister 1976-1982, one of the Chicago Boys.

Francisco Cumplido (1930-2022) Minister of Justice 1990-1994

Paulino Varas Alfonso (1930) Former Minister.

Ricardo García Rodríguez (1930-2022) Former Interior and Foreign Affairs Minister.

Sergio de Castro (Wiki), Former Minister of Finance of Chile dead at 94

• Like 5

Watching TalkTV earlier (god knows why). They were discussing the vote of no confidence in Humza Useless next week. Apparently one of the opposition MSPs is “too ill to attend”.

Anyone know who it could be?

18 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Watching TalkTV earlier (god knows why). They were discussing the vote of no confidence in Humza Useless next week. Apparently one of the opposition MSPs is “too ill to attend”.

I’m surprised Scotland doesn’t have proxy voting like Westminster now has for ill MP’s.

23 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Just been told by a friend that it’s Mercedes Villalba (wiki), Labour.

Supposedly she’s been sick for months. 

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Just been told by a friend that it’s Mercedes Villalba (wiki), Labour.

Supposedly she’s been sick for months. 

Her views on Israel are well known.

Sick or quietly sidelined, or both.

17 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Her views on Israel are well known.

Sick or quietly sidelined, or both.

I doubt they have the power to quietly sideline her - she could just quit and become independent. 

Looking at the 92 hereditaries still in the House of Lords, there are 27 who are 75+ this year. Checking their attendance and voting records, they've all been present this year with the exception of just one:

Lord Willoughby de Broke (wiki), turning 86 is September. Once a Tory peer, then UKIP, and now non-affiliated. He last spoke in 2020 and last voted in 2021. May just be sick of the place and refusing to retire, may be at death's door. Who knows, but worth keeping an eye on.

• Like 1

Last Franco minister Fernando Suárez González dead at 90.

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

89 next month and obese. I'll give him 3 months. 6 absolute max.

A great shame, but I'd have to agree with you. It's a nasty cancer to treat.

A good guy, but the end comes for all. I suspect he wont do a lot of treatment  

23 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

89 next month and obese. I'll give him 3 months. 6 absolute max.

And he has a serious autoimmune disease to boot.

Former president of Uruguay Luis Lacalle Herrera hospitalised after fall, but already out of danger.

Andrew Stunell, Baron Stunell, former LibDem MP for Hazel Grove (1997-2015), part of the team that sold out the LibDem principles for coalition with the Tories in 2010 and power for its own sake, reportedly dead: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/a-dedicated-public-servant-former-29087800

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Former MP Andrew Stunell dead at 81.

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

Aside: Hazel Grove now represented by that pillar of the community William Wragg, Tory currently disowned by his party. 

Not a lot of luck, the good (normally Tory) people of Hazel Grove.

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

Aside: Hazel Grove now represented by that pillar of the community William Wragg, Tory currently disowned by his party. 

Not a lot of luck, the good (normally Tory) people of Hazel Grove.

That's not true. He has left the whip by his own choice, and is still voting with the Government / using another Tory MP as a proxy vote. As I already said in the political rants thread – Wragg himself is not in trouble. He volunteered to speak to the police and is being treated as a victim, as will the other MPs who have been involved in this honeytrap scandal. This is not a resignation/by-election issue by any means.

Putting things you don't know anything about aside, I'm sad to hear about the passings of both Andrew Stunnell and his predecessor, Tom Arnold. Both gentlemen.

4 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That's not true. He has left the whip by his own choice, and is still voting with the Government / using another Tory MP as a proxy vote. As I already said in the political rants thread – Wragg himself is not in trouble. He volunteered to speak to the police and is being treated as a victim, as will the other MPs who have been involved in this honeytrap scandal. This is not a resignation/by-election issue by any means.

Putting things you don't know anything about aside, I'm sad to hear about the passings of both Andrew Stunnell and his predecessor, Tom Arnold. Both gentlemen.

Surely having the Whip removed is the party disowning?

Mind you, the Tories are good at victimising "victims" if that is what Wragg is. I have a passing interest nothing more in the parcel of rogues that sit in Westminster

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Surely having the Whip removed is the party disowning?

Mind you, the Tories are good at victimising "victims" if that is what Wragg is. I have a passing interest nothing more in the parcel of rogues that sit in Westminster

I didn't say he had the Whip removed. You did. You can surrender the Whip and opt to sit as an independent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I didn't say he had the Whip removed. You did. You can surrender the Whip and opt to sit as an independent.

Ah well, interesting to see what occurs in that seat. Tory generally, maybe the LibDems stand a chance of taking it?

What will be unearthed on the next MP for the area, we can but see. :lol:

11 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Ah well, interesting to see what occurs in that seat. Tory generally, maybe the LibDems stand a chance of taking it?

What will be unearthed on the next MP for the area, we can but see. :lol:

The next MP for the area is a school governor who used to work for a pension fund, states her reason for standing is the crap state of the health services and that the best bit of being a councillor is helping people. But I'm sure we can Westminster that out of her. :P

• Haha 1