Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

5 minutes ago, msc said:

The next MP for the area is a school governor who used to work for a pension fund, states her reason for standing is the crap state of the health services and that the best bit of being a councillor is helping people. But I'm sure we can Westminster that out of her. :P

She's a total knob. 3 time loser. Last time she stormed out of the count red faced in disgust at the result. The Libs have nobody better to put up. Sadly she'll probably win this time and be a one term MP.

2 minutes ago, msc said:

The next MP for the area is a school governor who used to work for a pension fund, states her reason for standing is the crap state of the health services and that the best bit of being a councillor is helping people. But I'm sure we can Westminster that out of her. :P

Hazel Grove folks surely don't need another bloody school governor? :lol: 

Who knows, with the past two incumbents being a sell out LibDem (now dead) and one who continues to draw a salary while technically not representing the party the Hazel Grove folks voted for (regardless of his voting record).

Gawd-fucking-awful representation.

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Hazel Grove folks surely don't need another bloody school governor? :lol: 

Who knows, with the past two incumbents being a sell out LibDem (now dead) and one who continues to draw a salary while technically not representing the party the Hazel Grove folks voted for (regardless of his voting record).

Gawd-fucking-awful representation.

At least they're not Rochdale! Danczuk, Cyril Smith, Galloway...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Andrew Stunell, Baron Stunell, former LibDem MP for Hazel Grove (1997-2015), part of the team that sold out the LibDem principles for coalition with the Tories in 2010 and power for its own sake, reportedly dead: https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/a-dedicated-public-servant-former-29087800

FTR, Stunell last spoke in the Lords on 27 March and last voted on 22 April (Rwanda bill). Death was likely sudden and not expected.

• Like 1

As a matter of curioisty has Michael Hesletine popped up anywhere recently ? Usual seems to pop up every now and again and thought we may have seen him with the elections coming up

6 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

As a matter of curioisty has Michael Hesletine popped up anywhere recently ? Usual seems to pop up every now and again and thought we may have seen him with the elections coming up

He spoke in the Hisue of Lords only a couple of weeks ago. https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/michael-heseltine-questions-police-treatment-28998633

6 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

He is PNG with the current Tory party because he is considered a pro-European and I think he has enough dignity not to offer a running commentary on the demise of the party he has represented

It will be interesting if he gets any punditry during the GE

He was giving interviews at the beginning of March

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Last spoke in the House on 15 April.

He also hosted his own event in Westminster about 6 months ago that a friend of mine went to. He looked good from the photos I saw.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

I believe he recently made a comment urging the resolution of ex Liverpool mayor Joe Andersons situation as he has been under investigation by the police for a long time and Heseltine said only in recent weeks it needs to be resolved. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Last spoke in the House on 15 April.

He also hosted his own event in Westminster about 6 months ago that a friend of mine went to. He looked good from the photos I saw.

Here is the clip. Speaks briefly at 14:58:50. Admittedly he doesn't look or sound his best, but for a 91 year old he seems to be above average.

• Like 1

On 06/02/2024 at 17:22, arghton said:

I've updated the list...

I think the oldest notable Berber personality is now Mohamed Chafik, 97.

From the list, one (excluding Sheikh Salem, Abdoulaye Wade etc) I am especially impressed is still alive is Syrian Muslim Brotherhood leader Issam al-Attar. He was gravely ill for months between 2019 and 2020 and in ICU again in May 2020.

Issam al-Attar dead at 97.

• Like 1

‘German politician Matthias Ecke, a member of the European Parliament, seriously injured after attack by 3 or 4 people in Dresden.’

On 01/05/2024 at 16:13, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Being interviewed on The World This Weeked on R4 today. 

• Like 1

On 15/03/2024 at 22:47, drol said:

Rodolfo Hernandez's cancer now terminal.

Rodolfo Hernandez hospitalised in ICU after emergency surgery, but expected to recover.

André Trigano (wiki), French businessman and politician, dead at 98.

Mayor of Pamiers, a city in the south of France, from 1995 to 2020. He was 94 when he stood down and was a member of the French Resistance during World War II. Additionally, he was also a racing driver and collected classic cars, amounting a collection of 180 which he sold in 2020. 

This guy makes Hazel McCallion look boring by comparison!

_112998299_trigano2015_getty.jpg.c36f5e78806c3d12e59a993b2db3b473.jpg

• Like 3

On 09/06/2022 at 21:23, arghton said:

PUERTO RICO (US)

Angel Martín Taboas (1918-2023) Secretary of Treasury 1970-1971.

José Manuel Ramos Barroso (1928) Former Senator.

Ramón Luis Rivera (1929) Longtime mayor of Bayamon.

Enrique Méndez Jr. (1931) Puerto Rico and US politician, general.

Off

José Manuel Ramos Barroso (Wiki) died in 1996 at the age of 68.

• Like 3

On 02/08/2022 at 21:10, arghton said:

As it seems I've not covered these before...

List of European politicians born before 1930 + honorary mentions. (By population, largest first and I've numbered them to make cropping the post easier. Excluding the UK, countries partially in Asia and countries with a population of under one million as those have already been covered elsewhere. The list is not ready. I'll  slowly update this now and then.)

16. Austria

Hans Tuppy (1924) Minister for Science and Research 1987-1989

Heinrich Pfusterschmid-Hardtenstein (1927) Ancient diplomat who looked very frail last year

Helmut Kritzinger (1928-2023) Right-wing ÖVP influencer politician who retired due to failing health in 2019.

Anton Nigl (1928) Another ÖVP ancient

Alois Partl (1929) Third ÖVP ancient, comes from Tirol.

Josef Ratzenböck (1929) Fourth ÖVP ancient, decrepit.

Beatrix Eypeltauer (1929-2023) Social Democrat

Kurt Jungwirth (1929) ÖVP, looked dead in 2019.

Bertram Jäger (1929) ÖVP, possibly has parkinson's.

Johanna Preinstorfer (1929) Decrepit

Willibald Pahr (1930) Former Foreign Affairs Minister

Christian Schwarz-Schilling (1930) former  High Representative for Bosnia and Herzegovina

Hans Tuppy reportedly dead - failed to make the 100: https://medienportal-univie-ac-at.translate.goog/media/aktuelle-pressemeldungen/detailansicht/artikel/universitaet-wien-und-meduni-wien-trauern-um-hans-tuppy/?_x_tr_sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=sc

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Current presidential candidate RFK Jr. was once thought to have a brain tumour, right when Ted Kennedy was dying from it, but on further inspection, it was a dead parasite:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/05/08/us/rfk-jr-brain-health-memory-loss.html

Among what it seems are a laundry list of health issues, from spasming vocal cords to hepatitis C...

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Comped said:

Among what it seems are a laundry list of health issues, from spasming vocal cords to hepatitis C...

I was wondering when the article was going to get to RFK Jr's drug addictions, which is tucked way in a bottom paragraph but used to make headlines decades ago.

He has a felony for heroin possession in the 80s after overdosing on a plane.

He's rumored to currently be abusing steroids. Between his atrial fibrillation and that, he's a heart attack risk.