Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Governors get to make an appointment first for the senate, and the current Vermont governor is a Republican. So that’s why

Worth noting the Governor of Vermont is a liberal Republican, who approved the impeachment of Trump in 2019, voted for Biden in November and said Trump should resign over the Capitol Riot this month. Constitutionally, he can appoint whoever he likes to the seat, he could choose a moderate Democrat or a liberal Republican to fill the seat if the need arose. He doesn't strike me as the sort of person to purposefully create gridlock for political ends. But as I said above, no evidence yet that Leahy's in any real danger.

26 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Worth noting the Governor of Vermont is a liberal Republican, who approved the impeachment of Trump in 2019, voted for Biden in November and said Trump should resign over the Capitol Riot this month. Constitutionally, he can appoint whoever he likes to the seat, he could choose a moderate Democrat or a liberal Republican to fill the seat if the need arose. He doesn't strike me as the sort of person to purposefully create gridlock for political ends. But as I said above, no evidence yet that Leahy's in any real danger.

Yep. Also had indicated when there was talks Sanders was in the running for  cabinet post that he would be highly likely he'd replace him with someone who'd caucus with the Democrats.  Given his previous statements there's little advantage to him of pissing people in Vermont off.

Should be noted it's just over 20 years since Vermont last elected a GOP senator too and he left the GOP just over a year later to sit as an Independent. He was succeeded by Bernie  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

Should be noted it's just over 20 years since Vermont last elected a GOP senator too and he left the GOP just over a year later to sit as an Independent. He was succeeded by Bernie  

Said independents likewise mean that Leahy is the only Dem senator in Vermont's history. The state had been Republican for a very long time.

On 3.4.2018 at 04:06, Sir Creep said:

Politics on a small scale, but worth a look-see for Cup hopefuls or mid year DPs where applicable maybe.
Former Big Island (Hawaii) Mayor Billy Kenoi wrote a Facebook message to friends, family, clients and students that a rare form of bone cancer he was diagnosed with three years ago has recently returned

SC

Billy Kenoi has died now:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2021/01/27/billy-kenoi-former-hawaii-county-mayor-has-died-after-lengthy-battle-with-cancer/

• Like 1

Quite remarkable that right now theres 3 living state leaders who are 99, then nothing for a while and then only some of age 96 right now, although that will change very soon.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, roaming_comrade said:

Quite remarkable that right now theres 3 living state leaders who are 99, then nothing for a while and then only some of age 96 right now, although that will change very soon.

Yeah, cause Ben Halim is turning 100.

• Thanks 1

Former Tunisian Minister of Finance Chedly Ayari not dead, but in a critical condition, due to COVID-19 according to some sources.

9 hours ago, drol said:

Former Tunisian Minister of Finance Chedly Ayari not dead, but in a critical condition, due to COVID-19 according to some sources.

Deid.

• Like 1

On 27/01/2021 at 19:40, drol said:

Yeah, cause Ben Halim is turning 100.

It’s 29th in Libya so Mustafa Ben Halim is now 100. :party:

When was his last public appearance and do we have any recent health news?

7 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

It’s 29th in Libya so Mustafa Ben Halim is now 100. :party:

When was his last public appearance and do we have any recent health news?

He was in the news last May because he was accused of embezzling. His son spoke in his defense. Last health news date back to two years ago, he was fine. I have the link to his son's Instagram account (which I can't find without it) on an old computer that takes 30 minutes to be turned on, but I'll probably give it a try later. He sometimes gave updates about his father.

• Thanks 1

Just went to see. He celebrated his father's birthday by posting a photo, but I don't know how recent it is. Instagram does not allow me to see the comments (there are 18), so if some of you can and want here is the link.

Ok: type instagram.com/amr_benhalim in the search bar and you'll find it.

We are overdue the death of one of the oldest world leaders .Hasn't been one for a couple of months. My money is on Luis Echevaria Alvarez. 

Former member of the Finnish parliament Jyrki Kasvi is in hospice care for multiple cancers.

https://www.iltalehti.fi/politiikka/a/a556782b-40da-4e92-82d4-55f27416a56c

Known from his glasses and his interest in computers, 57-year old Kasvi, also known as "Wexteen the Wizard" has been fighting cancer(s) for 18 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyrki_Kasvi

He says that he'll most likely die at the start of summer.

On 14/12/2020 at 08:14, drol said:

Former PMs Mabandla Dlamini (Prince Mabandla) and Ben Nsibandze are still alive at 90 and 89.

Ben Nsibandze reportedly dead, but unsurprisingly no valid sources can be found.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drol said:

Ben Nsibandze reportedly dead, but unsurprisingly no valid sources can be found.

Here you go. Right next to a KFC ad. :P

4DEE6BE5-FEE5-42CB-A837-DB83E47CD91C.jpeg

CE5B169C-D757-4F65-A253-39DFB4F13CE2.jpeg

• Like 1

This means that there are four former prime ministers of Eswatini alive.

Mabandla Dlamini (born 1930) 1979-1983

Paul Shabungu (born 1943) 2003, acting

Themba Dlamini (born 1950) 2003-2008

Bheki Dlamini (born 1952?) 2008, acting

Mabandla looked very well at Ambrose Dlamini's funeral. Barring COVID, he is not a goner.

Potrebbe essere un'immagine raffigurante 1 persona e in piedi

Photo of Mustafa Ben Halim's 100th birthday.

Immagine

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drol said:

Photo of Mustafa Ben Halim's 100th birthday.

Immagine

No social distancing so that's him gone in 3 weeks. 

• Like 2

Well, he is fat, on a wheelchair and not able to watch the camera. I guess he has not much time left anyway...

Croatian parliament member Miroslav Tudman died yesterday aged 74. He was the son of president Franjo Tudman (1922-1999) and Ankica Tudman (born 1926)

• Like 1

On 10/01/2021 at 20:26, drol said:

Here is a picture of Gowri Amma. By the looks of it she is completely unresponsive beside looking like a skeleton.

VS Achuthanandan to step down from all his public duties (he still held them!) citing health reasons.

Both Achuthanandan and Gowri Amma step down from duties due to poor health. Gowri Amma will still be president of JSS, whatever that is.

• Like 1