Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Therese Coffey's life might not be in danger but, her job...really kicks off about eleven and a half minutes in, great stuff!!

I don’t like her. I know her personally and she’s a total bag, but I thought Morgan came across as the jackass. He asked a question, she actually gave a very direct and honest response then the co-hosts lynched her for it. She’s telling the absolute truth. High % of aged population and obesity levels are largely to account for more deaths.

Now, had he asked why there’s been so many CASES on the other hand. Arguably part of the blame there is the Government’s response – both their strategy and response time, but the U.K. also has a very high population density which would account for the spread (and this is generally supported by the heat maps when looking at where the virus is spreading fastest).

These are not simple questions with simple answers but good on her for being one of the few politicians to raise obesity. My local hospital is full of obese COVID patients in their 30s, 40s, 50s etc. Some will make it out alive but for the Government to continue pandering to PCness rather than making some very brief and poignant points about health risks which are totally within people’s own control, is quite frankly dangerous and irresponsible.

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Therese Coffey's life might not be in danger but, her job...really kicks off about eleven and a half minutes in, great stuff!!

When was the last time any of them fell on their sword or where sacked. Sure Williamson aka Private Pike is still there. 

7 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I don’t like her. I know her personally and she’s a total bag, but I thought Morgan came across as the jackass. He asked a question, she actually gave a very direct and honest response then the co-hosts lynched her for it.

She didn’t like what she’s just said being put back to her. That’s what happened. Coffey is by far the bigger bellend of the two which, when the other is Pierced Organ, is quite some achievement.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I don’t like her. I know her personally and she’s a total bag, but I thought Morgan came across as the jackass. He asked a question, she actually gave a very direct and honest response then the co-hosts lynched her for it. She’s telling the absolute truth. High % of aged population and obesity levels are largely to account for more deaths.

Now, had he asked why there’s been so many CASES on the other hand. Arguably part of the blame there is the Government’s response – both their strategy and response time, but the U.K. also has a very high population density which would account for the spread (and this is generally supported by the heat maps when looking at where the virus is spreading fastest).

These are not simple questions with simple answers but good on her for being one of the few politicians to raise obesity. My local hospital is full of obese COVID patients in their 30s, 40s, 50s etc. Some will make it out alive but for the Government to continue pandering to PCness rather than making some very brief and poignant points about health risks which are totally within people’s own control, is quite frankly dangerous and irresponsible.

Piers is a twat who talks over people which is irritating seeing as he is more than capable of destroying these utter morons without doing so.Oh obesity is an issue just funny that the only one to admit it is the only obese cabinet minister.Age I reckon is a big factor too.She could have mentioned the test and trace  fiasco , confused messaging inconsistent rules lack of protection for care homes lack of enforced quarantining and lack of public faith in woefully incompetent hypocritical and intellectually challenged ministers. Again although it was a rare instance of a minister giving a straight answer it is putting all the blame on the public and none on the government or scientists who are driving the government.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sean said:

Piers is a twat who talks over people which is irritating seeing as he is more than capable of destroying these utter morons without doing so.Oh obesity is an issue just funny that the only one to admit it is the only obese cabinet minister.Age I reckon is a big factor too.She could have mentioned the test and trace  fiasco , confused messaging inconsistent rules lack of protection for care homes lack of enforced quarantining and lack of public faith in woefully incompetent hypocritical and intellectually challenged ministers. Again although it was a rare instance of a minister giving a straight answer it is putting all the blame on the public and none on the government or scientists who are driving the government.

Again, I reiterate an important point that both Morgan and Coffey totally missed – there is a big difference between asking why it spread so much/why we have so many cases (my 2 answers are the Gov's response and population density) vs. why we have so many deaths.

A direct answer to why person X died is not "the government", because you're looking for medical reasons as to why the person didn't survive, and in most instances age and weight are the two biggest factors as to why their body couldn't win the fight.

15 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

She didn’t like what she’s just said being put back to her. That’s what happened. Coffey is by far the bigger bellend of the two which, when the other is Pierced Organ, is quite some achievement.

She didn't like how Morgan rephrased it, which I agree was quite disrespectful. There are ways to make a point without directly insulting people. Morgan said it differently to try and stir controversy and upset people, which is what his ilk of journos do. When an interview is going at a boring pace, twist somebody's words or rephrase to make them sound piercing so the Twitter and FB feeds fill up with the faux outrage brigade. :rolleyes:

"Too old" doesn't make any sense of course. That's outside somebody's control unless you're Benjamin Button. "Too fat" makes perfect sense because in most cases people can control their own weight, but there are nicer ways of putting it, like Coffey tried to do before Morgan childishly bent it so it sounded more like a case of playground name calling.

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

She didn't like how Morgan rephrased it, which I agree was quite disrespectful. There are ways to make a point without directly insulting people. Morgan said it differently to try and stir controversy and upset people, which is what his ilk of journos do. When an interview is going at a boring pace, twist somebody's words or rephrase to make them sound piercing so the Twitter and FB feeds fill up with the faux outrage brigade. :rolleyes:

"Too old" doesn't make any sense of course. That's outside somebody's control unless you're Benjamin Button. "Too fat" makes perfect sense because in most cases people can control their own weight, but there are nicer ways of putting it, like Coffey tried to do before Morgan childishly bent it so it sounded more like a case of playground name calling.

So Piers and his other ilk of journos should simply stick to saying what these MPs have been conditioned to say (which is always rephrased to either soften what they’re actually saying or, in many other cases, cover the truth altogether)?

No. That’s not holding them to account.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

So Piers and his other ilk of journos should simply stick to saying what these MPs have been conditioned to say (which is always rephrased to either soften what they’re actually saying or, in many other cases, cover the truth altogether)?

No. That’s not holding them to account.

You know fine well that wasn’t my point. 

There are ways of making a point without unnecessarily upsetting people. Pointing out that obesity kills is credible, walking up to someone and saying “you’re a fat cunt” is hurtful and unhelpful. Morgan’s rephrasing of what she said was on par with the latter and it derailed from the actual question he posed and the answer she gave. That’s my point. 

54 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You know fine well that wasn’t my point. 

There are ways of making a point without unnecessarily upsetting people. Pointing out that obesity kills is credible, walking up to someone and saying “you’re a fat cunt” is hurtful and unhelpful. Morgan’s rephrasing of what she said was on par with the latter and it derailed from the actual question he posed and the answer she gave. That’s my point. 

No it really isn’t, neither do I suspect you believe it is.

He wasn’t making a point at all. Morgan didn’t misinterpret anything Coffey said, he just worded it slightly more brusquely. Coffey is there to answer questions, for the public’s benefit, but she got the arsehole when Morgan put what she said back to her. Pathetic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Again, I reiterate an important point that both Morgan and Coffey totally missed – there is a big difference between asking why it spread so much/why we have so many cases (my 2 answers are the Gov's response and population density) vs. why we have so many deaths.

A direct answer to why person X died is not "the government", because you're looking for medical reasons as to why the person didn't survive, and in most instances age and weight are the two biggest factors as to why their body couldn't win the fight.

I agree and the spread I think was pretty much inevitable.More spread and cases will translate to more deaths though but that doesn`t explain the death toll except on a very basic level which misses the point of the question.

19 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

No it really isn’t, neither do I suspect you believe it is.

He wasn’t making a point at all. Morgan didn’t misinterpret anything Coffey said, he just worded it slightly more brusquely. Coffey is there to answer questions, for the public’s benefit, but she got the arsehole when Morgan put what she said back to her. Pathetic.

You can hardly claim that she was evading anything. For starters she volunteered to come on and do the interview. It was pretty long as well, she sat there for 14 minutes answering his questions. Coffey claimed it was supposed to start earlier than it had done. Assuming she isn't lying and that is the case then it's the producers and/or presenters who are at fault for not timing the show properly. Coffey said that she had another interview elsewhere to attend. I believe her. When ministers are dished out to do interviews they do them in rounds, typically in 30 minute slots consecutively. I remember well because I often had to book them. :D After she made the point, she elaborated on it. It wasn't until Morgan spun it into a tabloid-esque faux outrage angle of calling people "old" and "fat" that she was like "okay I'm buggering off now". The media are not anyone's pals or guardians @The Quim Reaper, I hope you realise that. They're not there as some kind of free charity of information or some great mediator of scrutiny. They're there to reel in viewers and listeners and make lots of fucking money. It was quite a boring interview until Morgan spun it, and that's why he did it. Cos he knows that somewhere people will post it and discuss it, all for those 10 seconds of controversy, otherwise it'd just be "another interview".

Anyway, this is very off topic. Vid shouldn't have even been posted in here. There's a general off topic thread for the pandemic somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

You can hardly claim that she was evading anything. For starters she volunteered to come on and do the interview. It was pretty long as well, she sat there for 14 minutes answering his questions. Coffey claimed it was supposed to start earlier than it had done. Assuming she isn't lying and that is the case then it's the producers and/or presenters who are at fault for not timing the show properly. Coffey said that she had another interview elsewhere to attend. I believe her. When ministers are dished out to do interviews they do them in rounds, typically in 30 minute slots consecutively. I remember well because I often had to book them. :D After she made the point, she elaborated on it. It wasn't until Morgan spun it into a tabloid-esque faux outrage angle of calling people "old" and "fat" that she was like "okay I'm buggering off now". The media are not anyone's pals or guardians @The Quim Reaper, I hope you realise that. They're not there as some kind of free charity of information or some great mediator of scrutiny. They're there to reel in viewers and listeners and make lots of fucking money. It was quite a boring interview until Morgan spun it, and that's why he did it. Cos he knows that somewhere people will post it and discuss it, all for those 10 seconds of controversy, otherwise it'd just be "another interview".

Anyway, this is very off topic. Vid shouldn't have even been posted in here. There's a general off topic thread for the pandemic somewhere.

Aye, well...

Apologies for linking the video. Point I was making was that her immediate health isn't in danger but she's done her career no favours so political frailty seemed a better option than by-election bingo. 

Either way, sparked a pleasant chat on a boring lockdown Tuesday, eh?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, The Quim Reaper said:

Morgan didn’t misinterpret anything Coffey said, he just worded it slightly more brusquely.

So he could then legitimately misquote her later.

Political Journalists are all cunts (Morgan the top of the Cunt Tree) interviewing Politicians who are all cunts terrified of being misquoted. So you get crap interviews where the journos try to entrap the politicians for the headline quote and the politicians desperately trying to get through the interview avoiding giving that quote then a horde of other journos poring over all the interviews trying to find the most controversial thing that has been said.

It's crap. The situation is even worse on GMTV because the Govt refused to go on for 6 months so now they are after blood even more every time one of them goes on.

I'm surprised Susanna Reid is still on the show because Piers Morgan who is a complete cunt interrupts her all the time and speaks over her and she is deserving of better treatment.

Did I mention that Piers Morgan is a cunt?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The media are not anyone's pals or guardians @The Quim Reaper, I hope you realise that. They're not there as some kind of free charity of information or some great mediator of scrutiny.

^ Don’t insult my intelligence.

As for the lateness thing, the feature beforehand ran over through the show’s choice. It was an interview with Lily Ebert, a Holocaust survivor who’d just been vaccinated, and an absolute inspiration.

Just now, The Quim Reaper said:

^ Don’t insult my intelligence.

As for the lateness thing, the feature beforehand ran over through the show’s choice. It was an interview with Lily Ebert, a Holocaust survivor who’d just been vaccinated, and an absolute inspiration.

Inspiration or not, if their subsequent guest has a tight schedule to keep to then the correct thing to do is to respect that and honour the before planned timeslots.

Not insulting your intelligence. Many people often misunderstand/forget the real purpose of the media or are in the dark about the true nature of it.

I don't think you're unintelligent FTR, you're actually quite witty and you yourself will know that I frequently send positive reactions to your posts. I do however think you're often just on here to pick arguments or crack jokes, as you never post any news of deaths.

I don't watch Piers Morgan's show at  the best of times but I definitely wasn't going to watch it today.The last thing I want to do is wake up and watch the Coffey ! 

1 minute ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Inspiration or not, if their subsequent guest has a tight schedule to keep to then the correct thing to do is to respect that and honour the before planned timeslots.

Not insulting your intelligence. Many people often misunderstand/forget the real purpose of the media or are in the dark about the true nature of it.

I don't think you're unintelligent FTR, you're actually quite witty and you yourself will know that I frequently send positive reactions to your posts. I do however think you're often just on here to pick arguments or crack jokes, as you never post any news of deaths.

Very sorry for not treating this site as data entry. Other people are all over that so I don’t have to.

And ‘picking arguments’ is actually ‘topical discussion’, which is exactly how I’ve seen this. Either way, no ill-feeling.

22 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

*snip*

Point I was making was that her immediate health isn't in danger but she's done her career no favours so political frailty seemed a better option than by-election bingo. 

*snip*

I wouldn't rule her out to be fair.

She's obese (at least by standard of medical definition). She turns 50 this year, and she's a smoker. Often see her slurping on a glass of vino and puffing a large cigar(!) on the terrace of Parliament.

My take on the whole discussion.

From 1:07 onwards.

• Haha 1

President pro tempore of the United States Patrick Leahy has been taken to a hospital: 

If he croaks the GOP would have temporary control of the Senate for a few months

12 minutes ago, CaptainChorizo said:

If he croaks the GOP would have temporary control of the Senate for a few months

Ok, so, not being 'murican, would there be a special election and if so is this what we'd call a 'safe seat'? i.e. if he croaked it'd be a shoo-in Democrat replacement? 

Or does it go state by state and depending on which system  this state uses it appoints some successor to see out the term without an election?

Curious because having taken control (aiui) of all three of presidency, senate and congress, they may actually get something done. Whereas if they lose one then it's obstacle city trying to get anything actually done ...

Clearly I know a bit, I'm a big fan of The West Wing, but I'm no scholar on the US system (in honesty I'm pretty ropey on ours I probably need a few lessons with our in-house estimable history teacher @RoverAndOut)

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, En Passant said:

Ok, so, not being 'murican, would there be a special election and if so is this what we'd call a 'safe seat'? i.e. if he croaked it'd be a shoo-in Democrat replacement? 

Or does it go state by state and depending on which system  this state uses it appoints some successor to see out the term without an election?

Curious because having taken control (aiui) of all three of presidency, senate and congress, they may actually get something done. Whereas if they lose one then it's obstacle city trying to get anything actually done ...

Clearly I know a bit, I'm a big fan of The West Wing, but I'm no scholar on the US system (in honesty I'm pretty ropey on ours I probably need a few lessons with our in-house estimable history teacher @RoverAndOut)

Governors get to make an appointment first for the senate, and the current Vermont governor is a Republican. So that’s why

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CaptainChorizo said:

CNN reporting it was out of 'an abundance of caution' so until we know more, sounds like he's not in mortal danger just yet.