Jump to content
Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

Recommended Posts

https://www.apu.fi/artikkelit/ele-alenius-parempi-jos-neuvostoliittoa-ei-olisi-syntynytkaan

Ele Alenius, 95-year old former Finnish second minister of the interior and only 60s Finnish minister alive isn't in bad condition. In this article he talks about his political career in the 60s and 70s and how, despite being a socialist, he was against the invasion of Czechoslovakia and managed to anger the soviet ambassador to finland with his anti-soviet comments. He's one of the four in my profile picture.

Also talked about going to a nursing home because a friend he made during wwII is there. He was widowed ten years ago.

IMG_20210204_223012.thumb.jpg.645f4d14315aad0cfd2992d26c1e4346.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ronnie Fearn turns 90 today meaning there are  35  British  ex MPs aged 90 or over. 12 years ago there were only 16. Is this a fluke or are they living longer and longer? :unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, CoffinLodger said:

Ronnie Fearn turns 90 today meaning there are  35  British  ex MPs aged 90 or over. 12 years ago there were only 16. Is this a fluke or are they living longer and longer? :unsure:

Probably not a fluke. I suspect that there are significantly fewer heavy manual workers eg miners, metal workers etc among today's nonagenarians on the Labour side which may well be a factor. 

 

Also the House of Commons in the 1960s and 1970s was reckoned to be awash with alcohol. Things were probably a bit more closely monitored by the 1980s and 1990s.

 

Plus more female MPs and women generally live longer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/05/2020 at 11:49, gcreptile said:

Susan Bayh is in extra time.

In terms of deadpooling glioblastoma is even more ... reliable... than other cancers. As people tend to live with it just about "a bit more than a year" you can time it very well.

 

But there are outliers. My C-team pick Martino Sclavi lived with it for six years. I put him on my team(s) because after several surgeries and two-three years of stability, there was a new growth. Then, some initially successful treatment pushed him from main team to C-team. But that treatment really didn't delay the inevitable.

Susan Bayh has died

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Susan Bayh has died

 

Gave up on her almost everywhere I death pool... figures.  At least it's a DbN hit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Salmon Mousse said:

 

Gave up on her almost everywhere I death pool... figures.  At least it's a DbN hit.

Yeah, I thought she would be more long term at this point if she was able to last over 2 and a half years with glio already. But sod laws make it that both she dies and makes the drop 40 this time...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't believe she got a QO that quickly. The only reason I didn't include her was because I didn't think she stood a good chance of getting one.

 

Cheers for the 3 Inverse points Sue!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a tip for the future, if someone is a former US Senator or related to a US Senator who had some relevance in the mainstream, they are almost certainly going to get a QO. I say almost certainly because you had Senator Mark Andrews somehow not getting a QO, but he seems to be the exception rather than the rule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Drop 40 at 3/40 in 37 days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

Just a tip for the future, if someone is a former US Senator or related to a US Senator who had some relevance in the mainstream, they are almost certainly going to get a QO. I say almost certainly because you had Senator Mark Andrews somehow not getting a QO, but he seems to be the exception rather than the rule

 

And this is how the notability standard continues downhill.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, msc said:

Drop 40 at 3/40 in 37 days.

I did warn you that bowels will be open and busy aplenty in 2021.....:D;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/01/2021 at 19:45, arghton said:

Former member of the Finnish parliament Jyrki Kasvi is in hospice care for multiple cancers.

https://www.iltalehti.fi/politiikka/a/a556782b-40da-4e92-82d4-55f27416a56c

Known from his glasses and his interest in computers, 57-year old Kasvi, also known as "Wexteen the Wizard" has been fighting cancer(s) for 18 years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jyrki_Kasvi

He says that he'll most likely die at the start of summer.

And now he (thinks he) might have hope with a new medicine

https://www.is.fi/politiikka/art-2000007787877.html

he's fucked and will most likely die this year, but who knows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, CoffinLodger said:

He's not exactly a household name, except maybe in his own  household ! 

Kind of a big name in Finland, atleast his cancer-related news has always been on the front pages of Finnish tabloids. Not a notable politician (except for being a member of the Finnish parliament for 16 years, however I don't remember him accomplishing anything) but an interesting personality most known for being a computer nerd, making a Klingon version of his campaign site in 2007 (https://www.reuters.com/article/oukoe-uk-finland-klingon-1-idUKL0929094420070313) and his cancer battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, msc said:

Drop 40 at 3/40 in 37 days.

Now 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/02/2021 at 22:28, arghton said:

https://www.apu.fi/artikkelit/ele-alenius-parempi-jos-neuvostoliittoa-ei-olisi-syntynytkaan

Ele Alenius, 95-year old former Finnish second minister of the interior and only 60s Finnish minister alive isn't in bad condition. In this article he talks about his political career in the 60s and 70s and how, despite being a socialist, he was against the invasion of Czechoslovakia and managed to anger the soviet ambassador to finland with his anti-soviet comments. He's one of the four in my profile picture.

Also talked about going to a nursing home because a friend he made during wwII is there. He was widowed ten years ago.

IMG_20210204_223012.thumb.jpg.645f4d14315aad0cfd2992d26c1e4346.jpg

Alenius has recieved the COVID vaccine:

https://www.is.fi/viihde/art-2000007785951.html

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shlomo Hillel (wiki), Israeli politician; former Speaker of the Knesset and Minister for Police, dead at 97.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like every Chinese new year, the old leadership gets visited or phoned by authorities. Jiang Zemin is the first name of the list, which includes everyone from last year except Cao Zhi who died last July.

 

Here is the full list anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 07/02/2021 at 01:08, arghton said:

(Jyrki Kasvi) Kind of a big name in Finland, atleast his cancer-related news has always been on the front pages of Finnish tabloids. Not a notable politician (except for being a member of the Finnish parliament for 16 years, however I don't remember him accomplishing anything) but an interesting personality most known for being a computer nerd, making a Klingon version of his campaign site in 2007 (https://www.reuters.com/article/oukoe-uk-finland-klingon-1-idUKL0929094420070313) and his cancer battle.

Has planned his funeral, family is preparing for his death. Talks about still playing videogames daily.

https://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000007795630.html

In this article he tells how bad the situation is:

https://www.iltalehti.fi/politiikka/a/13371a7b-c63f-4a9b-97de-c08d5f4f80c5

His both kidneys, bladder and spleen have been removed. Bladder cancer, renal pelvis cancer and they've spread to the liver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, arghton said:

Has planned his funeral, family is preparing for his death. Talks about still playing videogames daily.

https://www.is.fi/kotimaa/art-2000007795630.html

In this article he tells how bad the situation is:

https://www.iltalehti.fi/politiikka/a/13371a7b-c63f-4a9b-97de-c08d5f4f80c5

His both kidneys, bladder and spleen have been removed. Bladder cancer, renal pelvis cancer and they've spread to the liver.

Well...technically speaking cancer is in charge now, we should start saying the cancer has some jyrky on itself

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/01/2020 at 12:28, Ulitzer95 said:

Agreed that a lot of them have been dropping off recently.

Thought I'd take this opportunity to look at how many WWII veterans from the three strands of government in the U.S. are still with us.

There are still 16 living formers members of the House of Representatives who served:

b. 1919: Lester L. Wolff
b. 1920: Neal Edward Smith
b. 1921: Mike McCormack
b. 1923: Bob Dole, Al Quie
b. 1924: Frank Joseph Guarini, Weston E. Vivian
b. 1925: Fletcher Thompson, G. William Whitehurst, Lucien Nedzi
b. 1926: J. Roy Rowland, Elwood Hillis, Earl Hutto, Mark Andrews, Robert J. Lagomarsino
b. 1927: Benjamin B. Blackburn, Arthur Ravenel Jr., Austin Murphy, Bud Brown, Edwin Edwards, Jim Weaver, James W. Symington

There are just 4 living Senators who served (they are also the top 4 oldest living):
b. 1923: James Buckley, Bob Dole (also listed above)
b. 1925: Daniel Evans
b. 1926: Mark Andrews (also listed above)
b. 1927: John Warner

There are 12 living Governors who served:
b. 1921: John Malcolm Patterson
b. 1922: Wayne Mixson
b. 1923: William Winter, Al Quie (also listed above), Linwood Holton
b. 1924: Dale E. Wolf, Jimmy Carter
b. 1925: Ted Schwinden, Daniel Evans (also listed above)
b. 1926: George Ariyoshi
b. 1927: Phil Batt, George Nigh, Winfield Dunn, Edwin Edwards (also listed above)

Jimmy Carter (also listed above) is of course the only living President who served. There are no living Vice Presidents who served.

4 living members of the Cabinet who served:

Johnson administrationAlan Stephenson Boyd (b. 1922), Ramsey Clark (b. 1927)
Nixon administration: Henry Kissinger (b. 1923), George Shultz (b. 1920)
Ford administration: Henry Kissinger (b. 1923, also listed above)
Carter administration: Charles Duncan (b. 1926), Ray Marshall (b. 1928)
Reagan administrationGeorge Shultz (b. 1920, also listed above) NONE!

No living justices of the Supreme Court who served following the death of John Paul Stevens (1920–2019).

As far as I know, these are complete. I will do the UK (Commons and Lords) when I get time, but that will probably involve more research.


Updated lists for the deaths of Lagomarsino and Shultz.

Interesting to note that the Reagan administration now has no surviving WWII veterans and yet the four preceding cabinets have at least one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:


Updated lists for the deaths of Lagomarsino and Shultz.

Interesting to note that the Reagan administration now has no surviving WWII veterans and yet the four preceding cabinets have at least one.

Who is still alive from the Reagan administration? Presumably most of them were veterans. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use