Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

I parse that as: the European Union is not dead, it just smells funny.

regards,

Hein

Noone in the UK at the moment would probably stand up and say come on everyone we can make this an awesome club and it would improve our standing in the world as well.

regards,

Hein

Noone in the UK at the moment would probably stand up and say come on everyone we can make this an awesome club and it would improve our standing in the world as well.

Actually I saw Nick Clegg do that on TV recently - so you're right, no-one.

regards,

Hein

Actually I saw Nick Clegg do that on TV recently - so you're right, no-one.

In my opinion he completely failed to do it and only allowed NF (what unfortunate initials) to pretend he had the upper hand.

Of course he failed. I mean all he did was.......

Wait, why would I tell you guys what you're doing wrong? haha...

Of course he failed. I mean all he did was.......

Wait, why would I tell you guys what you're doing wrong? haha...

To be fair I don't think NF converted anybody they were both playing to their core audiences.

Whatever helps you sleep at night!

UK-Independence-Party-UKIP-leader-Nigel-Farage-1867935.jpg

A friend of mine was sent a postal vote for the East Midlands constituency and showed me the Ballot paper. There were 5 separate anti-EU, anti immigrations parties (not including the Conservatives).

I think most of them are put up by UKIP to make them look sane.

The former Prime Minister of Belgium Jean Luc Dehaene has died at 73 http://www.standaard...140515_01106617

Fixed that for ya...

800px-Jean-Luc_Dehaene_%28speech%29.jpg

media_xl_6111769.jpg

Dies aged 73? Nobody could have seen that coming!

I wonder if "Dehaene" roughly translates into English as Pickles?

• Like 1

A friend of mine was sent a postal vote for the East Midlands constituency and showed me the Ballot paper. There were 5 separate anti-EU, anti immigrations parties (not including the Conservatives).

To true. Very confusing, to those easily confused. What makes matters worse is that the top entry on the ballot reads "An Independence from Europe" with an EU flag that has been crossed through. Now I'm fairly sure that most people know about UKIP and those who wish to vote for them can do so in the alphabetically ordered list in the lowest position. But for those not fully "compost-mental" then this will wick away vital votes and depress the UKIP vote.

Big question is (beyond the little know mad folk down at the English Democrats). Who put up these other mavericks?

I think the Tories themselves have most to gain in acting to depress the UKIP vote.

Crafty.

To true. Very confusing, to those easily confused. What makes matters worse is that the top entry on the ballot reads "An Independence from Europe" with an EU flag that has been crossed through. Now I'm fairly sure that most people know about UKIP and those who wish to vote for them can do so in the alphabetically ordered list in the lowest position. But for those not fully "compost-mental" then this will wick away vital votes and depress the UKIP vote.

Big question is (beyond the little know mad folk down at the English Democrats). Who put up these other mavericks?

I think the Tories themselves have most to gain in acting to depress the UKIP vote.

Crafty.

Thing I don't get is that 'when' Scotland gets Indy, the Tories will be unchallenged for a gazillion years unless all the Labour voters defect to UKIP (unlikely).

The Tories should be backing Scotlands Indy bid (under the radar of course).

For the record, Liberals don't count. Not even a proper party.

• Like 1

Crafty.

Thing I don't get is that 'when' Scotland gets Indy, the Tories will be unchallenged for a gazillion years unless all the Labour voters defect to UKIP (unlikely).

The Tories should be backing Scotlands Indy bid (under the radar of course).

For the record, Liberals don't count. Not even a proper party.

Under the radar, I think the Tories really ARE backing the Scottish independence vote. Stands to reason, like you say, without Scottish Labour MPs they may even win the "Left over" British Election outright next year.

If they did not really want that breakaway and it's possible side effect, then the independence vote would have been kicked into the long grass some time ago.

Crafty.

I remember a trick from the Euro elections in 1994 when a "Literal Democrat" down in the south west got 10,000 votes and denied the Lib Dems a seat or two under the proportional representation system...

Crafty.

I remember a trick from the Euro elections in 1994 when a "Literal Democrat" down in the south west got 10,000 votes and denied the Lib Dems a seat or two under the proportional representation system...

That's funny but it's not exactly the funniest thing from the 1994 Euro elections is it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=438UKM1Av1g

And don't stop watching before you get to the yogic flying.

Crafty.

Some guy did that in the 1997 Winchester election and subsequent by-election, not as if there wasn't already enough issues with that particular election.

Guest Guest

One of the key figures of the Watergate Scandal, Jeb Stuart Magruder, has died. He was the deputy director of Pres Nixons CREEP (Committee to RE-Elect the President) http://www.kentucky....t-magruder.html

Barring anything exceptional we're looking at at least 12-15 years before any of our former PMs cark it. No wonder they made such a fuss of Thatcher.

Didn't Tony Blair have heart trouble while he was in office? He could easily cark it some time in the next 5 or 10 years.

Didn't Tony Blair have heart trouble while he was in office? He could easily cark it some time in the next 5 or 10 years.

ISTR Blair's heart trouble was that he doesn't have one.

regards,

Hein

• Like 2

Crafty.

Looking at the names of the candidates in some of these splinter groups it looks like they were once candidates for UKIP which seems to suggest that all is not well in Eurosceptic land and that there are a hundred little Napoleons each looking for their share of the limelight.

Basically you go from No to EU - Yes to workers rights to An Independence from Europe to We Demand A Referendum to UKIP to British National Party and cover the majority of the political spectrum.

Nobody has any need to vote for a mainstream party if they support independence really.

Guest Guest

Tony Blairs mum died of cancer in her 50s.It could be hereditary..

Tony Blairs mum died of cancer in her 50s.It could be hereditary..

Yes. And his dad's dead too, so death runs in the family.

• Like 1