Guest Goldeneye-69

Political Frailty

So dead for 18 days afore obit, hope for Bamber yet then.

Guest Guest

TGhe former President of Haiti Leslie Manigat has died http://abcnews.go.co...t-died-24331209

However, today I received news of a far more personal nature which has stunned me,and which I may tell you about later,if I'm able to. Suffice to say that that death has become far more real to me than ever before...

Does anyone else think that the New coalition culture minister Javid Sjid is a dead ringer for The Hood from Thunderbirds?

Or an Asian version of Telly Savalas !

None of the resignations from the current coalition have been directly related to extra-marital relationships. In fact the last person to lose his job because of this was David Blunkett. I think generally people are more tolerant of the existence of affairs but when the people involve either take advantage of their position or lie to cover up the affair then public anger is raised and resignations tend to follow.

John Major’s government did suffer a bit of a witch hunt on this subject but they became hostages to fortune by promoting the Back to Basics campaign for moral renewal.

As for Bill Clinton everyone knew what he was when he was re-elected in 1996 but voters looked past his personal life to see his politics and the subsequent impeachment was politically motivated. If Hilary had not backed him then history may well have been different but she was very Tammy Wynette about it, but was she just playing the long game?

You say there is no-one on the Labour front bench team you would trust because they voted for Red Ed but it was the Union block vote that got him across the line and I think he has shown that he is not just a union man. However any protests of support from his colleagues is the requirement of a collective responsibility of the front bench no-one wants to commit political suicide by directly going up against the leader, however if the beast was wounded the hyenas would circle, but politicians of all colours behave like this.

But it is this point that I want to focus on is that clearly from your response as someone who is naturally on the right of UK politics you cannot see a leader who reaches out to you across the centre ground. I am in the same boat but from a different perspective, I do not see the One Nation Conservative leader who would allow me to consider them as an alternative to the options on the left that I would usually go for. Where have all the Ken Clarkes gone?

You must have a short memory, Liam Fox and Adam Wetherity was blatantly and extramarital type situation.

None of the resignations from the current coalition have been directly related to extra-marital relationships. In fact the last person to lose his job because of this was David Blunkett. I think generally people are more tolerant of the existence of affairs but when the people involve either take advantage of their position or lie to cover up the affair then public anger is raised and resignations tend to follow.

John Major’s government did suffer a bit of a witch hunt on this subject but they became hostages to fortune by promoting the Back to Basics campaign for moral renewal.

As for Bill Clinton everyone knew what he was when he was re-elected in 1996 but voters looked past his personal life to see his politics and the subsequent impeachment was politically motivated. If Hilary had not backed him then history may well have been different but she was very Tammy Wynette about it, but was she just playing the long game?

You say there is no-one on the Labour front bench team you would trust because they voted for Red Ed but it was the Union block vote that got him across the line and I think he has shown that he is not just a union man. However any protests of support from his colleagues is the requirement of a collective responsibility of the front bench no-one wants to commit political suicide by directly going up against the leader, however if the beast was wounded the hyenas would circle, but politicians of all colours behave like this.

But it is this point that I want to focus on is that clearly from your response as someone who is naturally on the right of UK politics you cannot see a leader who reaches out to you across the centre ground. I am in the same boat but from a different perspective, I do not see the One Nation Conservative leader who would allow me to consider them as an alternative to the options on the left that I would usually go for. Where have all the Ken Clarkes gone?

You must have a short memory, Liam Fox and Adam Wetherity was blatantly and extramarital type situation.

This was not what the media storm was about. It was about inappropriate access and blurring of politics and business. If there was anything more than a platonic relationship between the two (I don't believe there was) then if the media had chosen to focus on this he might have been able to hang on because he could have tried to claim a homphobic witch hunt. David Laws' resignation in 2010 obviously had an element of sexual content but it was because he lied to prevent prying into his private life. If he had not made the false claims about his abode then I do not think a newspaper would run a headline in the current climate saying "Minister lives with another man shock!"

This was not what the media storm was about. It was about inappropriate access and blurring of politics and business. If there was anything more than a platonic relationship between the two (I don't believe there was) then if the media had chosen to focus on this he might have been able to hang on because he could have tried to claim a homphobic witch hunt. David Laws' resignation in 2010 obviously had an element of sexual content but it was because he lied to prevent prying into his private life. If he had not made the false claims about his abode then I do not think a newspaper would run a headline in the current climate saying "Minister lives with another man shock!"

I'm aware that the media storm was about the inappropriate use of taxpayers money accommodating a lobbyist. However my cynical side thinks that there's cheaper ways of appeasing a lobbyist than taking a close friend all over the place on business trips. Also he was married, it doesn't matter whether the other in question is male or female extra-marital affairs are still morally objectionable to the vast majority of society. Accomadating your extramarital affair with anybody through taxpayers money and providing MoD access would sell newspapers anyway if it could be proven. It couldn't be proven or didn't happen, so it wasn't ran that doesn't mean to say there was no extramarital element. This did flare up around the period of super injunctions, phone hacking and general panic of offending or libelling anyone in the news industry.

Oh also I'm proposing a new rule, from now anyone else who makes a post which quotes that entire fucking MP list of Deathray's in full, will be banned on the spot.

It looks like there might be another use for Deathray's list. Which MPs may have been in Leon Britten's vanishing dossier?

Did anyone see Leon Brittain on TV yesterday refusing to answer questions about a list of paedophiles at Westminster around the time when the fat reptile from Rochdale was at it.

Surely, there can't be any paedos at Westminster these days.............can there?

Guest Big Ben Healy

According to wikipedia former Nigerian transportation minister Umaru Dikko is DEAD

I'm aware that the media storm was about the inappropriate use of taxpayers money accommodating a lobbyist. However my cynical side thinks that there's cheaper ways of appeasing a lobbyist than taking a close friend all over the place on business trips. Also he was married, it doesn't matter whether the other in question is male or female extra-marital affairs are still morally objectionable to the vast majority of society. Accomadating your extramarital affair with anybody through taxpayers money and providing MoD access would sell newspapers anyway if it could be proven. It couldn't be proven or didn't happen, so it wasn't ran that doesn't mean to say there was no extramarital element. This did flare up around the period of super injunctions, phone hacking and general panic of offending or libelling anyone in the news industry.

When William Hague was accused in the media of sharing a hotel room with a (male) researcher during the election campaign he stated that it was to keep within the electoral rules on spending and the issue went away and he kept his job. Sex scandal does not equal resignation but sex scandal and lying/hypocrisy does.

Did anyone see Leon Brittain on TV yesterday refusing to answer questions about a list of paedophiles at Westminster around the time when the fat reptile from Rochdale was at it.

Surely, there can't be any paedos at Westminster these days.............can there?

I remember that the police did investigate some MPs back in the day. Greville Janner was caught up in a massive child abuse trial in Leicester when Frank Beck tried to implicate him in his trial.

Janner was not charged with anything. Beck died shortly afterwards in prison at a relativly young age.

I am not sure how widely this was reported outside of the East Midlands.

I remember that the police did investigate some MPs back in the day. Greville Janner was caught up in a massive child abuse trial in Leicester when Frank Beck tried to implicate him in his trial.

Janner was not charged with anything. Beck died shortly afterwards in prison at a relativly young age.

I am not sure how widely this was reported outside of the East Midlands.

True fact this: The day after Beck died in 1994, Chris Morris used radio footage of some official reacting to his death (basically saying "good riddance") for a spoof news annoucement about Jimmy Savile's "death" for his first Radio 1 show!

• Like 1

Spoooooooooky! :o

Guest Guest

According to wikipedia former Nigerian transportation minister Umaru Dikko is DEAD

damn! why wasn't he on the list !

Guest Guest

The veteran cabinet minister Kenneth Clarke is likely to be axed in a reshuffle next week ,ending his decades long career in politics. Various other pieces of deadwood will also doubtless be pensioned off. http://www.express.c...-faces-the-sack

Anyone care to speculate on what other changes there might be in the reshuffle ,and who you might like to get rid of? Personally I'd like to get rid of the whole bloody lot of them but we have to wait till next year for that

Oh also I'm proposing a new rule, from now anyone else who makes a post which quotes that entire fucking MP list of Deathray's in full, will be banned on the spot.

It looks like there might be another use for Deathray's list. Which MPs may have been in Leon Britten's vanishing dossier?

Speaking of Leon...according to this morning's news he's been questioned under caution about an alleged rape in 1967. What's shocking me is the the "victim" was 18 years old and female, so that's all my theories about Brittan's sex life destroyed in one news report, then.

Former US senator of Illinois, Alan Dixon, dead at 86.

http://talkingpoints...-dixon-has-died

I'm sure on his deathbed he said "it's okay. I sat next to Walter Mondale once so I've led a pretty exciting, full life"

Former Georgian premier - and KGB big man - Eduard Shevardnadze

http://www.bbc.co.uk...europe-28190328

He's a pretty big name.I'm surprised he was never on the list

Mebbe the difficulty of the spelling, eh? Not like Zsa Zsa!