Shroud

Remember The Bismarck! Sink Pearl Harbour! Der Totale Banzai!

I think you're confused, charon; the Japanese did the mass "murdering" in China for the vast majority. It's difficult to have murder in wartime, in any event; else we're ALL guilty far as nations go.

I hope what's left of the older generations have some appreciation, but it's rather obvious by this point that the only time England (or Europe generally, i.,e France) is interested in the US is when they need us to save your sorry asses, to be blunt. Or for what they can scam off of us. We have been more than generous over the years to Europe, enough so that I again, repeat that i think the US needs to let Europe slide, so to speak. It would be a nice sight to see some of the "royals" like "William the balding" blasted out of the sky in Pakistan or some such place, but in any case, I haven't "lost anything" in the English isles, and certainly won't feel deprived if I never see the place in person even were I to live to be the same age as old Frank Buckles did, 110.

I've done mys hare of research on the old empire btw; tying some unfortunate across a cannon and blasting him to bits wasn't a rare thing in former British India - note "former" once again, and other places to keep the natives "in line,' so you morons hardly have any ground to criticize others.

So, go screw yourself, and learn The Star-Spangled Banner, fellow.

this is what I say to the btar pangled sanner http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/simpsons/images/f/f1/BartMangledBanner.png/revision/latest?cb=20100331134207

Charon, I discussed you and some of the moronic comments you have made about the US as I have been somewhat baffled by your ignorance in-general. It was suggested to me that you may well be somewhat mentally unhinged, and this seems likely looking over many of your posts. taking this into consideration, I will attempt to overlook your comments, then, as it appears you're not entirely responsible for yourself, frankly. I suspect you're not terribly intelligent either, so will try and keep both facts in mind.

I'm not sure where this photo you posted came from, but in any event what difference does all this make now? I realize the loss of the empire also galls many of you apparently no end, but that was hardly the fault of the US. It's simply how history worked out.

Would any of you rather not had the Marshall Plan after the war or the vast amount of aid we have sent to everyone involved post-war? Would anybody rather Stalin had overrun ALL of Europe once the Nazis were defeated? I seriously think not if there's any intelligence on display here at all. Had Truman been the man he should have been, he would have allowed Patton, and the others after his death to have crushed the Soviets and so nobody would have had to worry about them much longer than 1945. Need I remind any one that they declared war on Japan in the final week of the war? Lots of help, "Uncle" Joe.

More in a moment.

Before charon began making smart-ass remarks, possibly simply to cause trouble, it seemed we were having a reasonable discussion about WW 2 veterans generally; i would like to return to that if enough here are mature enough to do so.

On other points here and there; US Army Rangers are among our best troops and I would match them against anything the UK or EU can put up against them any time. If the term "Ranger" refers to something as unpleasant as you say, too bad. Ours have a long, honorable history.

On Sherlock Holmes, the later Rathbone/Bruce movies were moved into the WW 2 years for propaganda purposes. That what I meant when referring to the film Sherlock Holmes and the Secret Weapon. Rathbone's rousing closing speech about how this England(i.e Empire) would endure indefinitely does indeed sound ironic in modern times.

On 'The Star-Spangled Banner," an such, well, you "guys" gave it a good try in the early 1800s to retake the "colonies," but it didn't work out - learn to live with it. The "Banner" has inspired millions of others in the centuries since around the world to aspire to freedom, so i hardly see anything to be ashamed of there.

In the US, one can easily be a patriot and a progressive; as I believe I mentioned previously, the two are not mutually exclusive. And yes, I have disagreed plenty of times with my government's polices. I would have hoped by now the British populace would understand democracy better, but that seems a somewhat vain hope.

And yes, many of us would like to withdraw from NATO and leave Europe to its own defense. You certainly claim to be able to defend yourselves, so why be upset if this eventually occurs? We have many other worthy causes those funds could go to, people.

So, then. Are we adult enough to discuss matters further w/o changing high school-level( at best) insults and vulgarities? I hope so.

Charon, I discussed you and some of the moronic comments you have made about the US as I have been somewhat baffled by your ignorance in-general. It was suggested to me that you may well be somewhat mentally unhinged, and this seems likely looking over many of your posts. taking this into consideration, I will attempt to overlook your comments, then, as it appears you're not entirely responsible for yourself, frankly. I suspect you're not terribly intelligent either, so will try and keep both facts in mind.

I'm not sure where this photo you posted came from, but in any event what difference does all this make now? I realize the loss of the empire also galls many of you apparently no end, but that was hardly the fault of the US. It's simply how history worked out.

Would any of you rather not had the Marshall Plan after the war or the vast amount of aid we have sent to everyone involved post-war? Would anybody rather Stalin had overrun ALL of Europe once the Nazis were defeated? I seriously think not if there's any intelligence on display here at all. Had Truman been the man he should have been, he would have allowed Patton, and the others after his death to have crushed the Soviets and so nobody would have had to worry about them much longer than 1945. Need I remind any one that they declared war on Japan in the final week of the war? Lots of help, "Uncle" Joe.

More in a moment.

I would have so that the USA helped these nations out of sheer generosity and kindness not for control and power. Strange you call Charon a retard but you get so much facts wrong.
  • Like 1

MorbidKid, young fellow,I'll take your youth into consideration. I didn't actually say charon is retarded; he does seem to have some psychological problems which need to be addressed. The term "retard" is not used very often any longer in the States. Yes, generosity did play a large role in our post-war actions towards Europe, although it seems unappreciated by so many today. I notice you ignored my points about Stalin, or the US Army Rangers. I'll give you a pass on the mature angle given your age.

I would add that no, I wish the atomic bombs hadn't been needed in Japan. Had we had to invade Japan proper, the loss of life would have vastly exceeded what both nuclear attacks resulted in. And yes, I would have rather purely military targets been selected. They no doubt would have fought to the last person. I have seen the hidden weapons in caverns(including some of what few aircraft they had left by then) and such they had ready to use against the invasion force, the instruction leaflets on how to attack US troops, etc., etc. I will point out that said lives saved included the Japanese as well as Americans, and any allies who might have joined the final assault on the Japanese homeland. I know the Australians did fight hard against Japan as well. We weren't out to be the leader of the free world at war's end; history takes unexpected turns sometimes, kid. Check out some US history and accounts of the war for a change - it seems a LOT of historical revisionism has occurred in how the war's history is taught in Europe. I would suggest sources from the early 1980s or before before political correctness and revisonism infected the USA as well.

Check out some US history and accounts of the war for a change - it seems a LOT of historical revisionism has occurred in how the war's history is taught in Europe. I would suggest sources from the early 1980s or before before political correctness and revisonism infected the USA as well.

Be careful with what some might interpret as an accusation. I take your use of historical revisionism in a neutral way, but in its ordinary use it has a very particular meaning. If you do mean that: there's little of that in Europe. I haven't read what's taught in Dutch schools recently, so I may be out of date. I don't think European historians differ much in opinion with their US colleagues. Of course "our" point of view is different, WWII was foremost the war against the Nazis and their allies, for most Europeans the war in Asia was far away (not for the Dutch, though, nor for the Brits).

• Like 3

War, HURGH, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing, except top bantz on a celebrity death site, evidently.

• Like 3

Shroud's gimmick change from 1995-era alt.scifi.general poster to rampaging military history forum patriot is one of the quickest in DL history.

• Like 5

I do mean historical revisionism in the neutral sense, Magere- in the States, around the end of the 1980's, history began to be changed a good deal from how it was taught in 1970's back, often to make the US look worse, u see. The phrase "self-hating American' does have some truth to it also, it seems. Hollywood has been a major offender at times also, although much of that from them has been in-re to our War between the States, or whatever one wishes to call it. It goes by several names here depending on what part of the country one is in.

Spade, what's this? You think my interests are confined to sci-fi? Hardly, my man, hardly. But as Magaere mentioned, viewpoints and cultre are different over there - here, the only ones who try to say one can't be progressive and a patriot as well ara almost always the far-right types. Given my dad and his brother's participation in WW 2 (two of who were in Europe by the by), I could hardly let charon's remarks pass unchallenged, now could I? The fellow does seem paranoid about the USA at a minimum. I gather that there are treatments and therapies in Europe for such problems which one cannot gain access to in the States, and I do hope he find an more- even keel, shall we say? Really would rather not see the fellow wind up in traction for months, and in the market for facial reconstruction, and so forth, but if he ever says some these things face-to-face to the wrong "yank," that may very well happen.

Edited by Magere Hein
Split from topic "World War II Veterans"

There's a 'right' yank? You live and learn....

Shroud's gimmick change from 1995-era alt.scifi.general poster to rampaging military history forum patriot is one of the quickest in DL history.

This has to be one of the greatest changes since Frank Maloney became Kellie.

Obviously, I went for Frankie rather than Bruce/Caitlyn version because Im not happy with the Yanks thinking they own the celebrity sex change thing like they think they own the fucking Universe.........or summat :D

• Like 2

NK_v_USA.jpg

• Like 3

Hope your Russian is up-to-date, people. Odds are the day may come when you'll need to learn it if not.

Cheers.

Hope your Russian is up-to-date, people. Odds are the day may come when you'll need to learn it if not.

Cheers.

I think the character Otto says a line very close to that in A Fish Called Wanda.

• Like 3

Cheers.

Cпасибо товарищу. Я думаю, вам нужно будет выучить испанский язык.

• Like 4

That wasn't bad, Assassin - I detest Russian script btw. I know it.s called something else actually, but I forget exactly what.

Anyhow, if you have paid much attention to what's going on in the east, the Bear is coming out of hibernation- ask the Urkanians. I think I spelled that wrong, but you get my point.

My unpleasantness, Toast? Have you checked any of your own postings. Talk about the being thick-skulled.

Thanks for taking the time out of your busy stumping schedule, especially on today of all days Sarah, but your kinda missing toast's point.

The posts have been moved to a thread created in your honour.

Personally, I would've moved them to the 'drunk, bored, psychopath' thread, I could occupy the first two parts, and yourself cou................

Edited by Magere Hein
Four posts moved from topic "World War II Veterans"
  • Like 1

200.gif

lol she is pointing it in the wrong direction, the ground isn't her head.

Assassin is the sub title or status (based on the number of posts) of the poster not their name (in this instance Cat O'Falk), the script name you want is cyrillic and it's spelled Ukrainians.

We doubtless mostly do get your point, but if you are going to attack others accuracy as much as you do, it would help if you didn't appear too lazy to check your own postings, it's only a tab away.

• Like 3

I detest Russian script btw.

What a silly thing to do. A script can't help what horrible languages are written with it.

I rather like Greek script, say Αλέξανδρος ο Μέγας: strong, youthful and masculine. Much better than that decadent Latin script.

• Like 2

That wasn't bad, Assassin - I detest Russian script btw. I know it.s called something else actually, but I forget exactly what.

Anyhow, if you have paid much attention to what's going on in the east, the Bear is coming out of hibernation- ask the Urkanians. I think I spelled that wrong, but you get my point.

My unpleasantness, Toast? Have you checked any of your own postings. Talk about the being thick-skulled.

Am I missing something?

If I were to make a list of the posters on here who are most likely to be rude, offensive or just irritatingly arrogant, Toast would be way, way down the list. I think of them as one of the more considerate posters which means if you have manager to piss them off to the extent they will respond with a less than polite retort then you probably deserve it.

In the years I have been posting here I have mostly been met with polite discourse.

OK I have been insulted by Dr Zorders and Tempus Fugit but I think most regular posters can claim the same.

• Like 1

Am I missing something?

If I were to make a list of the posters on here who are most likely to be rude, offensive or just irritatingly arrogant, Toast would be way, way down the list. I think of them as one of the more considerate posters which means if you have manager to piss them off to the extent they will respond with a less than polite retort then you probably deserve it.

In the years I have been posting here I have mostly been met with polite discourse.

OK I have been insulted by Dr Zorders and Tempus Fugit but I think most regular posters can claim the same.

To be fair, I did tell him to fuck off. Not before giving fair warning though.

Thanks for the kind words though blow-kiss-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

Why do you continue to allude to the British as the English? That's analogous to calling United States Americans Kentuckians.

My father was English and born in 1916. He fought for the BRITISH army in France in 1944, not the ENGLISH army; just the same as vast numbers of Scottish, Welsh and Irish did.

And Manx!

• Like 4