1 minute ago, time said:

I've tried the real world, didn't like it.

I don't like it either.

33 minutes ago, time said:

Well, the BBC as we know it will be no more soon, as Conservative ideology does away with it's current funding model. What's next, the Armed Forces sponsored by Stark Industries?

FJODXmDXsAETwjs.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DCI Frank Burnside said:

FJODXmDXsAETwjs.jpeg

Sounds familiar.  Our (Tory) MP was chosen as a candidate for the seat because her dad had been the MP before.

So, you know, glass houses.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

Good.

Let the BBC live in the real world.

It's the sort of political statements that look good to a certain type of voter (this is not a reference to you!) but which would be suicidal to any government which actually went through with them. (For example, did you know that the licence fee also keeps the TV broadcasting infrastructure across the UK going, that even with private companies running them, they still require BBC/government top ups from the licence fee, and that without those, basic signal across most of the UK would fall apart thanks to decades of government neglect? Which is just as well as the licence fee also keeps Freeview on the air, which is the only TV access about 1/3rd of the UK get at all, most of whom are very old and Tory voting.)

Given the move from the licence fee needs a lot of careful planning so that large chunks of British infrastructure doesn't just die overnight, this government's achievements so far suggest that sort of thinking and planning is utterly beyond them. Given they can't even sort out one single train line without existential crisis.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, msc said:

It's the sort of political statements that look good to a certain type of voter (this is not a reference to you!) but which would be suicidal to any government which actually went through with them. (For example, did you know that the licence fee also keeps the TV broadcasting infrastructure across the UK going, that even with private companies running them, they still require BBC/government top ups from the licence fee, and that without those, basic signal across most of the UK would fall apart thanks to decades of government neglect? Which is just as well as the licence fee also keeps Freeview on the air, which is the only TV access about 1/3rd of the UK get at all, most of whom are very old and Tory voting.)

Given the move from the licence fee needs a lot of careful planning so that large chunks of British infrastructure doesn't just die overnight, this government's achievements so far suggest that sort of thinking and planning is utterly beyond them. Given they can't even sort out one single train line without existential crisis.

That may all be true but that's a bit like saying we should have left the Kray twins alone because, with them in charge of East London, Grannies and women could walk the streets safely of a night.

I do not doubt that the issues revolving around an end to the licence fee are more far reaching than having the BBC no longer funded by the public but that does not mean that we should continue funding them.

This Government is fucking useless, granted, and they are likely to fuck it all up but it really needs to be done. If there is a requirement for a new funding model to keep the infrastructure going then that will be a separate issue.

I do not mind paying to have the BBC, I just want the choice of paying and I want them to stop pissing the current fee up the wall.

I don't think that is too much to ask.

30 minutes ago, Lord Fellatio Nelson said:

That may all be true but that's a bit like saying we should have left the Kray twins alone because, with them in charge of East London, Grannies and women could walk the streets safely of a night.

I do not doubt that the issues revolving around an end to the licence fee are more far reaching than having the BBC no longer funded by the public but that does not mean that we should continue funding them.

This Government is fucking useless, granted, and they are likely to fuck it all up but it really needs to be done. If there is a requirement for a new funding model to keep the infrastructure going then that will be a separate issue.

I do not mind paying to have the BBC, I just want the choice of paying and I want them to stop pissing the current fee up the wall.

I don't think that is too much to ask.

Well note I haven't made my own view on the licence fee or the BBC here at all, I'm just noting the logistics of doing such a thing. Which are quite separate. So choice of what the BBC do or don't do with their share of the fee is irrelevant to my point here. 

A better analogy would have been the police rather than the Krays imo. Did the Sarah Everard case horrify? Does Cressida Dicks continual "one rule for them, another for the plebs" policing irritate? Certainly, as with all right thinking people. Do we want to abolish the police? Of course not. The knock on effect on society would be unthinkable. 

As for alternatives...

An alternative to the licence fee could be the creation of a new telecommunications infrastructure tax needed to raise the funds to keep basic TV/etc going. But that would be renaming the licence fee, basically. The "Netflix model" wouldn't work as it wouldn't pay for all those other bits and would be focused solely on one part of the BBC's output. The only private companies with the ability to step in and fund that infrastructure, on a British level, are pretty much BT (currently putting prices up because they overreached themselves with BT Sports) and Virgin (who are hilariously incompetent at infrastructure, though that might improve if we fined them every time their workers cut the water supply digging in the streets), so that's currently a non-starter. And even the private companies involved currently still get handsome top ups from the government.

Because as you'll note, they haven't even started to ask these questions. Just assumed it'll work. A lot of that in government decisions this century. British infrastructure (of which this is only a small part) has been left to grow dusty since before I was even born, kicked down the road by successive governments. It's their job to deal with it (and infrastructure support is basically a boon on the economy, it raises more in the long term) but instead, it appears like the role of government is to make members of the government wealthier, strangely enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, msc said:

Well note I haven't made my own view on the licence fee or the BBC here at all, I'm just noting the logistics of doing such a thing. Which are quite separate. So choice of what the BBC do or don't do with their share of the fee is irrelevant to my point here. 

A better analogy would have been the police rather than the Krays imo. Did the Sarah Everard case horrify? Does Cressida Dicks continual "one rule for them, another for the plebs" policing irritate? Certainly, as with all right thinking people. Do we want to abolish the police? Of course not. The knock on effect on society would be unthinkable. 

As for alternatives...

An alternative to the licence fee could be the creation of a new telecommunications infrastructure tax needed to raise the funds to keep basic TV/etc going. But that would be renaming the licence fee, basically. The "Netflix model" wouldn't work as it wouldn't pay for all those other bits and would be focused solely on one part of the BBC's output. The only private companies with the ability to step in and fund that infrastructure, on a British level, are pretty much BT (currently putting prices up because they overreached themselves with BT Sports) and Virgin (who are hilariously incompetent at infrastructure, though that might improve if we fined them every time their workers cut the water supply digging in the streets), so that's currently a non-starter. And even the private companies involved currently still get handsome top ups from the government.

Because as you'll note, they haven't even started to ask these questions. Just assumed it'll work. A lot of that in government decisions this century. British infrastructure (of which this is only a small part) has been left to grow dusty since before I was even born, kicked down the road by successive governments. It's their job to deal with it (and infrastructure support is basically a boon on the economy, it raises more in the long term) but instead, it appears like the role of government is to make members of the government wealthier, strangely enough.

Well my analogy was relevant, it's not like you to split hairs!! :lol:

Yes, I do understand where you are coming from but, If I may bring 30 + years of working in the telephone/internet infrastructure to the table, I can negate much of the argument about whether the infrastructure is good enough, able enough and cheap enough to maintain for the BBC and the funding to be, largely, kicked into the long grass.

The infrastructure is already in place, superfast broadband infrastructure is being rolled out at a pace that is staggering, certainly since I left the industry 3 years ago, and the technology is well in place to switch off most of the old school tech.

Costing? Well, as an engineer, it was clear that mass recruitment into the telecoms industry was primarily to saturate the network and get it up to scratch. There are areas that still need investing in but that is ongoing, the money is already being spent.

What we will end up with is a network that will, largely, be less problematic and only require a skeleton staff to keep on top of issues. What we will end up with is TV through the internet in its entirety.

I suspect that all of the internet/TV providers will be expected to chip in on the upkeep of the network, maybe via taxes?

Those that have no internet, like my in laws, will just have to get it and, again, I suspect, that such services will be offered very cheaply and they will just have to pay a very basic yearly sum for their TV service.

That may not sit well with people, it may appear to be a bridge too far and keeping the BBC funded would seem to be the better option but, personally, I don't believe that we should still have a state owned and run broadcaster in 2022.

Just my opinion.

• Like 1

I suspect the whole issue about the licence fee is being used as a proxy war.

The announcements about changes to the funding arrangement are being made to seem like an attack on the 'woke' bloated behemoth that is the BBC because that will play well with a certain sector of the population. 

Those stauch defenders see the attacks in the same way but as has been pointed out tge media landscape has changed. The question is there are things the BBC do well Documentaries,  Light Entertainment,  Drama, Radio but it is how to preserve the best of these in a new funding arrangement that does not discriminate against any particular sector. 

I would rather have the BBC free to air and paid for through a form of taxation because I suspect if I had to opt in it would take me a long time to do it. I am a late adopter to technology.

5 hours ago, Toast said:

Sounds familiar.  Our (Tory) MP was chosen as a candidate for the seat because her dad had been the MP before.

So, you know, glass houses.

Not to mention the thorny question of whether Nadine Dorries daughters were given jobs in the running of her constituency or Westminster office because they were the best  candidates for the job or because she is their mummy.  

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I suspect the whole issue about the licence fee is being used as a proxy war.

The announcements about changes to the funding arrangement are being made to seem like an attack on the 'woke' bloated behemoth that is the BBC because that will play well with a certain sector of the population. 

Those stauch defenders see the attacks in the same way but as has been pointed out tge media landscape has changed. The question is there are things the BBC do well Documentaries,  Light Entertainment,  Drama, Radio but it is how to preserve the best of these in a new funding arrangement that does not discriminate against any particular sector. 

I would rather have the BBC free to air and paid for through a form of taxation because I suspect if I had to opt in it would take me a long time to do it. I am a late adopter to technology.

Well Murdochs papers really toned down and depriortised criticism of his premiership in the last couple of days and then this news about the BBC is floated....

Call me  a cynic..

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Not to mention the thorny question of whether Nadine Dorries daughters were given jobs in the running of her constituency or Westminster office because they were the best  candidates for the job or because she is their mummy.  

Already mentioned in the post I replied to.

Let’s face it the announcement has been rushed out because Nadine is one of the few in the cabinet who is still a strong supporter of Boris and willing to distract from everything going on.,

Good! The sooner the BBC fucks off the better. Boris and the BBC both corrupt scum in different ways, both hid and probably still hide scandals. They also both think they have a god given right to UK taxpayers money and love wasting it on trash and cash for their corrupt friends/luvvies . The BBC scrounges £3.5bn+ off the UK public a year for a service they never asked for. 

Never forget 

• Like 1

On 08/01/2022 at 13:07, TQR said:

Make a small change to the articles about the Tory nutters that want a sing song to the National Anthem every day on the Beeb, and the idea suddenly becomes more palatable:

3EB03EA5-C92B-420A-A48E-3F28AF2374B8.thumb.jpeg.5b5da205ee30afbb04e8b37b4a96b668.jpeg

63B2C6AD-415B-4BFA-876A-D97EB2E5EFC0.thumb.jpeg.703561bd7f94289ca6ff2481e19be55c.jpeg

I don’t want Brexit and never asked for that. That’s £250bn, plus £120bn/year in perpetuity.

I don’t use Trident and have never asked to use it. That’s £205bn.

I won’t use HS2 and will never ask for that. That’s £105bn.

I didn’t use or ask for the binned off test and trace Dildo Harding fuck up. That’s £37bn.

I wasn’t part of and didn’t ask for the treasury to write off the Covid payment fraud. That’s £4.3bn.

I never have a use for and never asked for the Monarchy, or the royal yacht. Combined, that’s £0.5bn.

PPE, Vanity Projects, Corruption. Never asked for that. Billions more.

By the logic used by some people with regard to the license fee, including Nadine Dorries who is so thick she’d order sushi well done, I am owed a hell of a lot of money when I opt out of all of the above because I never use or asked for them. Result!

6 hours ago, TQR said:

I don’t want Brexit and never asked for that. That’s £250bn, plus £120bn/year in perpetuity.

I don’t use Trident and have never asked to use it. That’s £205bn.

I won’t use HS2 and will never ask for that. That’s £105bn.

I didn’t use or ask for the binned off test and trace Dildo Harding fuck up. That’s £37bn.

I wasn’t part of and didn’t ask for the treasury to write off the Covid payment fraud. That’s £4.3bn.

I never have a use for and never asked for the Monarchy, or the royal yacht. Combined, that’s £0.5bn.

PPE, Vanity Projects, Corruption. Never asked for that. Billions more.

By the logic used by some people with regard to the license fee, including Nadine Dorries who is so thick she’d order sushi well done, I am owed a hell of a lot of money when I opt out of all of the above because I never use or asked for them. Result!

Calls people thick and then spells licence with an s :facepalm:. Funny how you clearly see the corruption in everything except the vaccines.

They didn't fuck it up they want you to think they're stupid , they know exactly what they're doing. Their decisions are made for their puppeteers and business interests and never for us. 

48 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

Calls people thick and then spells licence with an s :facepalm:. Funny how you clearly see the corruption in everything except the vaccines.

They didn't fuck it up they want you to think they're stupid , they know exactly what they're doing. Their decisions are made for their puppeteers and business interests and never for us. 

Both spellings are used in English.

Also, it’s not a surprise to anyone that someone with such monumentally shit takes on the pandemic (yes, you) would have equally shit ones about everything else. No fucking way am I about to enter a discussion with you about anything going on in the world.

There’s an appropriate phrase here I’m minded of, often used here by the honourable member for Norfolk, with whom I disagree about many things but not on this particular point: fuck off.

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Both spellings are used in English.

Also, it’s not a surprise to anyone that someone with such monumentally shit takes on the pandemic (yes, you) would have equally shit ones about everything else. No fucking way am I about to enter a discussion with you about anything going on in the world.

There’s an appropriate phrase here I’m minded of, often used here by the honourable member for Norfolk, with whom I disagree about many things but not on this particular point: fuck off.

What if  it turns out I'm right in a few years about the pandemic will you apologise? Of course you won't , you come across as a very weak person and a coward.

Poor got poorer , rich got richer , small businesses closed and mega corporations made record profits including big pharma. We followed pandemic decrees they didn't. That ain't a conspiracy it's fact.

It's going to come out in the future about the vaccines and midazolam. You really think the tories want to save the vulnerable and old? They killed 100k people with austerity. Were was the furloughs and payments during austerity? The same government that leaves old people without enough to heat their homes and afford enough food ,will tank the economy for them? The same government who allows thousands to freeze to death and also people to  starve to death will do everything in their power to save them? The same government who took away the universal credit uplift and raised fuel prices before the cold season? You're the fucking conspiracy theorist if you believe that.

Boris even said let the bodies pile high what more evidence you want? 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/27/dying-cold-europe-fuel-poverty-energy-spending

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2020/jan/28/disabled-man-starved-to-death-after-dwp-stopped-his-benefits

You don't know my views on those other things. Your stereotyping me as pro royal brexiteer ? :lol: . My recent ancestors were from Ireland. I hope the UK whore of Babylon collapses. I hope the UK does get rid of its nukes and I'll open the gates for the invading army to come in ,can't be any worse than what we currently have. A reminder that Jeremy Corbyn was pro Brexit for decades so was all the other old school left wing politicians,as they knew the EU was just another layer of corrupt political control away from the people.

You can label me all you like but none of it is true. You sound like very angry guy, no pussy ? No money ? Not my problem Hans solo blame those in power not me trying to shine a light on their evil.

50 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

What if  it turns out I'm right in a few years about the pandemic will you apologise? Of course you won't , you come across as a very weak person and a coward.

Poor got poorer , rich got richer , small businesses closed and mega corporations made record profits including big pharma. We followed pandemic decrees they didn't. That ain't a conspiracy it's fact.

It's going to come out in the future about the vaccines and midazolam. You really think the tories want to save the vulnerable and old? They killed 100k people with austerity. Were was the furloughs and payments during austerity? The same government that leaves old people without enough to heat their homes and afford enough food ,will tank the economy for them? The same government who allows thousands to freeze to death and also people to  starve to death will do everything in their power to save them? The same government who took away the universal credit uplift and raised fuel prices before the cold season? You're the fucking conspiracy theorist if you believe that.

Boris even said let the bodies pile high what more evidence you want? 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/feb/27/dying-cold-europe-fuel-poverty-energy-spending

https://amp.theguardian.com/society/2020/jan/28/disabled-man-starved-to-death-after-dwp-stopped-his-benefits

You don't know my views on those other things. Your stereotyping me as pro royal brexiteer ? :lol: . My recent ancestors were from Ireland. I hope the UK whore of Babylon collapses. I hope the UK does get rid of its nukes and I'll open the gates for the invading army to come in ,can't be any worse than what we currently have. A reminder that Jeremy Corbyn was pro Brexit for decades so was all the other old school left wing politicians,as they knew the EU was just another layer of corrupt political control away from the people.

You can label me all you like but none of it is true. You sound like very angry guy, no pussy ? No money ? Not my problem Hans solo blame those in power not me trying to shine a light on their evil.

Absolutely mad.

What makes me angry is not a lack of money (I have plenty more than my “socialist pussy” self would care to admit) or indeed lack of pussy (I’ve only got my boyfriend to blame for that), it’s the incessant insensitivity and pure bullshit that you refuse to stop posting, I’m assuming because outside of your own personal echo chamber no fucker in the real world is prepared to listen to the bollocks you talk.

Read the room, and shut the fuck up.

5 minutes ago, TQR said:

Absolutely mad.

What makes me angry is not a lack of money (I have plenty more than my “socialist pussy” self would care to admit) or indeed lack of pussy (I’ve only got my boyfriend to blame for that), it’s the incessant insensitivity and pure bullshit that you refuse to stop posting, I’m assuming because outside of your own personal echo chamber no fucker in the real world is prepared to listen to the bollocks you talk.

I'm confused now. 

His latest diatribe seems to be about the general corruption and criminality in our current government, surely only condoned by those who also have their snouts in the trough. 

But this is hardly a "conspiracy theory", and quite separate from the pandemic.

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'm confused now. 

His latest diatribe seems to be about the general corruption and criminality in our current government, surely only condoned by those who also have their snouts in the trough. 

Because, as it turns out, everything comes back to vaccines and such. It’s every other sentence now, and as you say, is in no way related to govt corruption. Or, indeed, the BBC.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Toast said:

I'm confused now. 

The left wing socialist way is  all or nothing, unless you fully agree with them all the time you're the enemy.

45 minutes ago, TQR said:

Because, as it turns out, everything comes back to vaccines and such. It’s every other sentence now, and as you say, is in no way related to govt corruption. Or, indeed, the BBC.

I mentioned the vaccines once in that post. 

20 hours ago, TQR said:

Absolutely mad.

I'll never shut the fuck up. 

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.