How can people seriously complain about the BBC?

Living in other countries where journalism is of a diabolical quality makes you appreciate the quality of the BBC that much more. In NZ, our mainstream newspaper media is risible, the quality of journalism on the television barely scrapes through as 'Bird found nesting in classroom in Northamptonshire' Roger Finn Newsround standard and the only thing that really passes muster is Radio NZ's cheap rip-off of the BBC Radio 4 programme Today.

And then look at the quality of locally produced TV programmes in comparison. The quality in NZ doesn't bare thinking about.

Yeah but you did have Shortland Street.........................

QED.

But then on the other hand, I did hear that a new series of Birds of a Feather had been made. I'm not sure the original was necessary. I assume the Beeb were responsible?

• Like 1

How can people seriously complain about the BBC?

Living in other countries where journalism is of a diabolical quality makes you appreciate the quality of the BBC that much more. In NZ, our mainstream newspaper media is risible, the quality of journalism on the television barely scrapes through as 'Bird found nesting in classroom in Northamptonshire' Roger Finn Newsround standard and the only thing that really passes muster is Radio NZ's cheap rip-off of the BBC Radio 4 programme Today.

And then look at the quality of locally produced TV programmes in comparison. The quality in NZ doesn't bare thinking about.

I think its the threatening letters and subtle intimidation that if you don't forcefully fund us we'll be around to your door looking to catch you out. It's all very stasique. The model is outdated and the BBC is or was known to throw about the licence fee money very extravagantly . Well you know what they say about being generous with other people's money. Then you have the whole bias which some people complain about. Firstly many people claimed the BBC was anti-Scottish independence (probably because it wouldn't be able to collect the licence fee anymore) and second pro EU. The BBC has received funding from the EU breaking the whole TV licence fee agreement anyway and how can it be unbiased in covering Brexit when it received funds from the EU. Then there is the whole paedophile culture that existed there many children were lured to BBC studios to meet their heroes or take part in shows etc and had their lives destroyed and innocence taken. Rolf Harris has started a new trial a few days ago some of the victims were abused at the BBC. But other than that it's a national institution and it's TOTALLY worth the 145 pounds a year a bit like the royal family too :rolleyes:

• Like 1

So BBC News, the Scots winning at rugby was a surprise victory?

I'm allowed to be surprised, you are supposed to report it impartially - how about "The Scots win their opening match in the 6 Nations after a gap of 11 years"?

Edit: Or even: Scotland beat Ireland 27-22.

So BBC News, the Scots winning at rugby was a surprise victory?

I'm allowed to be surprised, you are supposed to report it impartially - how about "The Scots win their opening match in the 6 Nations after a gap of 11 years"?

Edit: Or even: Scotland beat Ireland 27-22.

Not really. In sports a surprise victory is generally to which you could have got long odds from it happening on the betting market. There not dissing the Scottish team or be impartial by saying it. It's no difference to say that Plymouth shock Liverpool to a draw in the FA Cup.

• Like 1

Tbh, I'm surprised we win at anything! All shock victories to me...

It is a shock win. We collapsed in the second half and then won anyway! Against one of the favourites. Entirely unScottish.

Every year I think this is going to be the the year the Scots will win the Six Nations and every year I'm left disappointed even though I'm a plastic paddy!

Do we not have a rugby discussion thread you can all fuck off to with this discussion?

So we can get back to talking about the BBC?

No.

And we don't yet have a rugby themed Deadpool....

Anyway, as I say the BBC shouldn't really be comparing for example Plymouth with Scotland. The fact it's a surprise to the privately educated establishment nobs who can't see past Dylan Hartley's huge arse indicates the innate bias against our proud nation... ^_^

Cacophony: a harsh discordant mixture of sounds.

This is how Sean on the BBC News Channel described the forthcoming Scottish Leaders' Debate. Now, I'll readily admit that Nicola and Kezia aren't the most pleasant of voices to listen to, even for us in Scotland, but this really is an ill-advised way of discussing a programme on your own channel. "Never mind the policies, listen to that horrible non-Home Counties pronunciation, totally unrecognisable, has anyone thought of subtitling it for us?" is the way it comes across.

How about properly describing the UK-wide debates? "And talking utter bollocks tonight will be...."

In fairness, the ones last year were a bloody cacophony. Especially once they invited that UKIP chap, and the audiences seemed full of people who seemed the whole thing was designed for them to shout at the politicians.

That's one of the biggest problems with politics right now. Instead of trying to change things too much people just want to say screw you to the establishment. No one wants to hear people out instead they vote. 

2 hours ago, msc said:

In fairness, the ones last year were a bloody cacophony. Especially once they invited that UKIP chap, and the audiences seemed full of people who seemed the whole thing was designed for them to shout at the politicians.

I'm not saying labour could snag this but the tory lead has fell 9 points in a week, if it falls 9 points in another week were looking at neck and neck?

On 21/05/2017 at 20:50, Deathray said:

I'm not saying labour could snag this but the tory lead has fell 9 points in a week, if it falls 9 points in another week were looking at neck and neck?

Aye, big if mind and bear in mind that the last election and Brexit - as predicted by pollsters - suggest people say touchy feely stuff when they're asked and then turn into self-centred frothing monsters when a ballot paper is presented and they can pull the curtain behind them.

• Like 2

On 22/05/2017 at 05:50, Deathray said:

As a foreigner, it is not really my place to comment on UK domestic politics but I saw with interest that Labor has actually "surged ahead" in Wales:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/latest-general-election-poll-wales-13073791

Will be interesting to see if they keep this up when the first post-Manchester polls come in.  

Dear BBC

Isn't interviewing Lord Coe about sport in Manchester like interviewing Fred Goodwin about the resilience of the banking community in Manchester?

Yours faithfully.

YW.

• Like 1

BBC Radio 1's big weekend. Scott Mill's introducing kings of leons set to viewers "there's a lot of strong language in this set, if you're offended by that there's plenty of other live music for you to watch on BBC iplayer"

Because the few remaining people offended by bad language are using iplayer? 

On 24/05/2017 at 08:15, Davey Jones' Locker said:

As a foreigner, it is not really my place to comment on UK domestic politics but I saw with interest that Labor has actually "surged ahead" in Wales:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/politics/latest-general-election-poll-wales-13073791

Will be interesting to see if they keep this up when the first post-Manchester polls come in.  

In they come and she is in decline:  http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-28/british-election-may-not-be-conservative-landslide-polls-suggest/8567214

9 hours ago, Davey Jones' Locker said:

Be intereesting to know where those polls would be with a different Labour leader - Jezza has that Bernie Sanders feel about him.Radical oldster mobilising loads of the disaffected but - apparently - personally unsuited to actually taking power.

• Like 2

From my distant point of view: I kind of "get" Jeremy Corbyn, he's sometimes a bit eccentric, but at least resembles a human being. I have no idea what Theresa May is doing there. Or what/who she is at all.

Edit: That was meant as a reply to the narrowing polls. I thought this was the politics thread...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

From my distant point of view: I kind of "get" Jeremy Corbyn, he's sometimes a bit eccentric, but at least resembles a human being. I have no idea what Theresa May is doing there. Or what/who she is at all.

Edit: That was meant as a reply to the narrowing polls. I thought this was the politics thread...

It doesnt matter.

People post wherever nowdays.

Its good to be a rebel. :D

• Like 3

0n5rwav918d01.jpg

At least they didn't "reach out" to them.  I suppose we must be grateful that some standards remain.

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

0n5rwav918d01.jpg

• Like 3

Well, while I know they can't cover everyone, the Beeb's We Remember this year was pretty good.

Surprised they gave so much time to Emma Chambers, but no mention of John Bluthal at all. And Geoff Emerick's omission is utterly surprising.

Wouldn't have been a stretch to squeeze Vic Damone in there somewhere.

BBC Scotland's announcer just introduced today's Doctors by saying "I wonder if Keith Harris and Orville ever have this problem."

Harris has had no problems since 2015....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1