Oh the misery, the wailing as Rutherford and Ennis Hill win medals but they are not gold. So commentary goes into grieving mode.

It's all good, you made up for it by having an Ethiopian who trains in the USA win a gold 'for England' in the 10000M. Whatever allows you to thump your chests I guess.

SC

He was actually born in Somalia, but point taken.

Oh the misery, the wailing as Rutherford and Ennis Hill win medals but they are not gold. So commentary goes into grieving mode.

It's all good, you made up for it by having an Ethiopian who trains in the USA win a gold 'for England' in the 10000M. Whatever allows you to thump your chests I guess.

SC

I suppose you'll be cheering on Kenyan born/raised US 5000 metres champion Bernard Lagat then?

• Like 1

SC

I suppose you'll be cheering on Kenyan born/raised US 5000 metres champion Bernard Lagat then?

It's like the Eurovision Song Contest these days.

I'd love to see a track and field version of the elimination race from the omnium maybe it could start with 157 competitors like the women's marathon! Or maybe even a version of the points race.

Looks like someone is going to miss the closing ceremony

Who is the sexiest Olympian at Rio 2016?

Would you go the distance with Mo Farah? Does David Florence paddle your canoe? Is Jessica Ennis Hill a 7 out of 7? Would you give Charlotte Dujardin a dressage down?

Yes, the lack of major deaths has come to this...

Some frankly bizzare choices in there youngwillz.

Only chose them for the "witty" line which could follow them. ^_^

I miss Fatima Whitbread

I fixed her line once way back when.

She was surprisingly short but built like a brick shithouse.

Impressive facial hair too.

Who is the sexiest Olympian at Rio 2016?

Would you go the distance with Mo Farah? Does David Florence paddle your canoe? Is Jessica Ennis Hill a 7 out of 7? Would you give Charlotte Dujardin a dressage down?

Yes, the lack of major deaths has come to this...

Some frankly bizzare choices in there youngwillz.

Only chose them for the "witty" line which could follow them. ^_^

I miss Fatima Whitbread

I fixed her line once.

Euphemism?

• Like 3

I'm looking forward to Havelange.

I was looking the right direction.

Ooh unlucky, Thomas Barr...

Now my favourite event: The international women's model contract final. To win one must jump over a horizontal bar the highest. The small print...

So a man won the womens 800m and a Somalian won the 5000m.

Team GB athlete Andrew Butchery came fourth in 5000m after silver and bronze were disqualified.

Team GB athlete Andrew Butchery came fourth in 5000m after silver and bronze were disqualified.

Farrah has lived in GB since he was a little kid,it's unfair imo to compare him to people who were already World Class athletes like Chelimo and Lagat when they decided to switch over to represent a different nation.

Farrah has lived in GB since he was a little kid,it's unfair imo to compare him to people who were already World Class athletes like Chelimo and Lagat when they decided to switch over to represent a different nation.

Not sure I get the drift. It would be better for him to represent Somalia than GB?

Zola Budd too. Didn't she do some promotional work for the power tool company Black and Decker?

Not sure I get the drift. It would be better for him to represent Somalia than GB?

I meant it seems like a slight to call him Somalian since he has spent most of his youth in GB and considers himself British which is a lot different then athletes who are just given money to represent countries which they have very loose ties to.

I meant it seems like a slight to call him Somalian since he has spent most of his youth in GB and considers himself British which is a lot different then athletes who are just given money to represent countries which they have very loose ties to.

I call him Somalian the same way I'd call Chris Froome Kenyan or Tesege Tewelde Eritrean.

I call him Somalian the same way I'd call Chris Froome Kenyan or Tesege Tewelde Eritrean.

But are you against them representing GB?

No, the nationality they identify as is their prerogative. It doesn't change their nationality. If I move to Wales and start claiming I'm Welsh I'd be treat as a loon. Same principle for professional athletes.

Giving that Britain funded the majority of their sporting careers it seems only fair they should compete for GB, doesn't make them British. They could probably lay claim to being a British Somalian or British Kenyan in Farah and Froome's case, Tewelde is an Eritrean refuge who lives in Britain - full stop.

Not "proper" British like Sir Bradley Wiggins*

*Born in Ghent Belgium. Australian father...

No, the nationality they identify as is their prerogative. It doesn't change their nationality. If I move to Wales and start claiming I'm Welsh I'd be treat as a loon. Same principle for professional athletes.

Giving that Britain funded the majority of their sporting careers it seems only fair they should compete for GB, doesn't make them British. They could probably lay claim to being a British Somalian or British Kenyan in Farah and Froome's case, Tewelde is an Eritrean refuge who lives in Britain - full stop.

Still not clear on what your point is. Mo Farah is a Great Britain team hero but he's not a Great Briton?

Still not clear on what your point is. Mo Farah is a Great Britain team hero but he's not a Great Briton?

A footballer playing for a football club does not make them a person from that club's area. Gareth Bale's not Spanish, Ronaldo's not a Mancunian and Michael Owen's not a Liverpudlian. I'm applying the same criteria to athletes.

That doesn't mean it's wrong to call Mo Farah a Briton as a term of endearment (see the age old chants regarding Pavel Srnicek