Paul Bearer

Richard Wilson

Richard Wilson was (the best, I think) Reverend Green in the ITV series Cluedo.

Unfortunately, the scripts for his series (series 2) were mixed.

In the episode Fatal Distraction (see image) he appeared in only one scene (in the billiard room).

cluedo.jpg

2 minutes ago, Tempest said:

In the episode Fatal Distraction (see image) he appeared in only one scene (in the billiard room).

cluedo.jpg

O.................................kay...................

He appears in a billiard room, on ITV, in the 1980s! Stunning update.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Talk of him starring in a new sit-com!

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/one-foot-graves-richard-wilson-13291460

Though actually, the text isn't quite as euphoric as the headline.

Had no idea he had suffered a major heart attack. Or maybe I read about it and completely forgot.

He’s done very well to get to this stage, it sounded like he was a goner a few years back. 

Richard Wilson was talking to Radio 2 about his health last week. The Express have a write up, but he's doing OK, all things considered, bar suffering severe memory issues now due to the whole brain injury. 

One for 2024 DL? Surely old and famous enough, and had his fair share of health issues.

On 02/11/2017 at 19:42, Tempest said:

cluedo.jpg

Is this the best one-hit wonder post in DL history?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, drol said:

One for 2024 DL? Surely old and famous enough, and had his fair share of health issues.

He is one of those people who have always looked 'old', or older than their actual age. He and Annette Crosby have done well to both be around today, considering One Foot in the Grave started almost 35 years ago and neither of them looked young even then. 

4 hours ago, Sod's Law said:

He is one of those people who have always looked 'old', or older than their actual age. He and Annette Crosby have done well to both be around today, considering One Foot in the Grave started almost 35 years ago and neither of them looked young even then. 

One Foot in the Grave has done very well as a series in terms of longevity. Of the cast who have died- Doreen Mantle lived to be 97, John Rutland 96, Gordon Peters 95, Gabrielle Blunt 95 and Richard Pearson 93. As mentioned, Annette Crosbie is still going at 89 and Richard Wilson at 87. Even the younger actors - Janine Duvitski, Owen Brenman and Angus Deayton have avoided early deaths. Barbara Ashcroft (Mildred) still appears to be going aged 96. The first director, Sydney Lotterby lived to be 93 and its writer David Renwick and main director Susan Belbin are still around in their 70s. Of course Eric Idle who sang the theme tune is still around aged 80 as is Ed Welch who composed most of the music and is currently 76. The only person I can think of who is associated with the programme and died early is Peter Cook who guest starred in One Foot in Algarve. Hard to think of a comedy which has performed better in terms of longevity. 

• Like 9

19 hours ago, Deathrace said:

The only person I can think of who is associated with the programme and died early is Peter Cook who guest starred in One Foot in Algarve. Hard to think of a comedy which has performed better in terms of longevity. 

Another notable One Foot in the Algarve guest star was Edward de Souza, who's still going at 91.

Incidentally, Algarve has been cleaned up and transferred to HD. Watched it on BBC4 on Christmas Eve and it looked great.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Deathrace said:

One Foot in the Grave has done very well as a series in terms of longevity. Of the cast who have died- Doreen Mantle lived to be 97, John Rutland 96, Gordon Peters 95, Gabrielle Blunt 95 and Richard Pearson 93. As mentioned, Annette Crosbie is still going at 89 and Richard Wilson at 87. Even the younger actors - Janine Duvitski, Owen Brenman and Angus Deayton have avoided early deaths. Barbara Ashcroft (Mildred) still appears to be going aged 96. The first director, Sydney Lotterby lived to be 93 and its writer David Renwick and main director Susan Belbin are still around in their 70s. Of course Eric Idle who sang the theme tune is still around aged 80 as is Ed Welch who composed most of the music and is currently 76. The only person I can think of who is associated with the programme and died early is Peter Cook who guest starred in One Foot in Algarve. Hard to think of a comedy which has performed better in terms of longevity. 

Pretty ironic given the name of the series. Maybe more sitcoms need to be produced with death-themed names as a good luck charm to the actors involved? 

Til Death us Do Part? The four main actors made it to 89 (Mitchell), 78 (Nicholls), 84 (Stubbs) and 85 (Booth). Solid if unspectacular 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deathrace said:

Til Death us Do Part? The four main actors made it to 89 (Mitchell), 78 (Nicholls), 84 (Stubbs) and 85 (Booth). Solid if unspectacular 

That's pretty average though. I wouldn't say any of those are abnormally long lifespans.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

That's pretty average though. I wouldn't say any of those are abnormally long lifespans.

Was referenving it as it was a well-known sitcom with a reference to death in its title. 

Only When I Laugh has done well for a sitcom of its vintage - all four regulars and writer were still alive until 2022 took out Peter Bowles (85) and writer Eric Chappell (88). The other three regulars are still about at 88, 87 and 77. It’s a stark comparison to something like Oh No It’s Selwyn Froggitt where the entire cast is dead and the only living writer we know of is Roy Clarke, who was only involved with the pilot. 

1 hour ago, TheKeysOfMarinus said:

Only When I Laugh has done well for a sitcom of its vintage - all four regulars and writer were still alive until 2022 took out Peter Bowles (85) and writer Eric Chappell (88). The other three regulars are still about at 88, 87 and 77. It’s a stark comparison to something like Oh No It’s Selwyn Froggitt where the entire cast is dead and the only living writer we know of is Roy Clarke, who was only involved with the pilot. 

Again, somewhat ironic seeing as it was set in a hospital. 

On 26/12/2023 at 19:09, Deathrace said:

It is impressive however the fact that when the show came out the cast were older and were established character actors  meant they were less likely to let fame and the showbiz lifestyle go to their head.Still impressive though.