Davey Jones' Locker

Non-British Royals

Princess Mele Siuʻilikutapu of Tonga, also Tonga's first woman to be a Member of the Legislative Assembly 1975-1978 (their parliament) being reported dead at 75. Daughter of Prince Fatafehi Tuʻipelehake and granddaughter of Queen Sālote Tupou III.

• Like 5

On 18/04/2023 at 13:54, arghton said:

Prince Mangosuthu Buthelezi claimed Zulu king Misuzulu was ill last week:

But then later he said that the king is in perfect physical health and unwell only spiritually...

King Misuzulu hospitalised after being poisoned according to Buthelezi.

How does he know? He did it.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, drol said:

King Misuzulu hospitalised after being poisoned according to Buthelezi.

How does he know? He did it.

King's own press release says he's in eSwatini only to see his uncle. One of Misuzulu's top advisors is dead, suspected poisoning.

There's been some kind of a power struggle since around February now and Buthelezi (and other members of the royal family who are against the King) seems much more powerful.

On 01/06/2022 at 20:40, arghton said:

Royals older than Queen Elizabeth II

tahnoun.thumb.jpg.ecaf076fba95f98d0b81cac658f569b4.jpg

. Sheikh Tahnoun Bin Mohammed Al Nahyan (more likely 1942-) Brother-in-law of the founding father of the UAE. Like in the case above, exact birthdate not known so could be younger than QEII. Seems to be doing pretty well, able to walk with the help of a stick and still active in politics. Also seems to have a twitter account.

I've removed Sheikh Tahnoun bin Mohammed from the list as the Arabic wiki page on him has changed his birthyear to 1942. I think that's his correct birth year as I can't find much mentions of him before 1966 and he doesn't look 97. Sheikh Salem Al-Ali of Kuwait is probably the oldest living male royal and excluding Saudi royals (there's tens of thousands of them) the oldest living Arab royal.

Another ancient mother of a royal is Bandhu Savali Kitiyakara, mother of Thai King's ex-wife Princess Soamsawali (who suffered two strokes in 2019 and has seemingly been wheelchairbound and paralyzed since) and grandmother of Princess Bajrakitiyabha...Her health has been very bad for atleast the last ten years and she's now 89.

• Like 1

Élisabeth de Chimay (Wiki), French-born Belgian princess and writer dead at 97

• Like 1

I was wondering today if there are any elderly members still living of the royal family of Zog I of Albania

He has six sisters (no survivor) and one half-brother, Xhelal Pasha Zogu (which has 8 children, 5 who are dead)

Said Zogu (1909-1909) 

Melek Zogu (1911-1911)

Genc Zogu (1938-1944)

Elvira Zogu (1932-2015)

Melita Zogu (1934-2016)

The survivors are Skënder Zogu (Wiki), born 1933 aged 90 living in France

Vera Zogu (born 1936) and Mirgin Zogu (born 1937)

For the last two since they don't have an English wiki and info than the first one they were survivors when their two sisters died in 2015 and 2016 and until then there is no news so they could still be, two live in France and one in Egypt.

• Like 1

On 01/06/2022 at 18:40, arghton said:

Royals older than Queen Elizabeth II

Underlined are members of a royal family that currently rules a sovereign state.

Names that are disputed/European but not mentioned in the Longest Lived European Royals list are in italic. Not ready, suggestions are welcome

Pictures above name.

*snip*

e2685aa9d3c4122fbeb80ed7be22a95c.thumb.jpg.752a02aa388714e458836e5d2b6c44a9.jpg

Archduchess Yolande of Austria (6 May 1923-)

*snip*

Yolande has died aged 100 according to an edit on her Wiki page. At work and haven't time to look online, will have a dig later if nobody else finds anything in the meantime.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Yolande has died aged 100 according to an edit on her Wiki page. At work and haven't time to look online, will have a dig later if nobody else finds anything in the meantime.

Only source is this french blog about royalty. Her french wiki page states She died on the 13th and her funeral are planned for the 23th. 

edit : death certificate (in french). Interesting to see she’s called by the name of her late husband in official document (not here though) 

0B864634-60F2-4D3C-9BE6-F684496C9D8C.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Interesting to see she’s called by the name of her late husband in official document

I looked up a few people on MatchID yesterday as I wasn't aware of it before.

Interestingly Diana, Princess of Wales was indexed as Spencer.

I couldn't find Jim Morrison.

3 minutes ago, Toast said:

In MatchID the females keep their birth surname not the husband one (mostly)

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

To be more preciseful, Matchid reports the deaths in France since the year 1990 (for foreign-born people), but for French-born people, it starts years before 1990. I know it because, my great-grandparents and my two grandparents dead are reported on MatchId. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

So Jim Morrison died in 1971, foreign born people dead before 1990 are not reported.

• Like 1

Pictures from Princess Bandhu Savali Kitiyakara of Thailand’s 90th birthday celebration. On september 24th. She is a great-granddaughter of King Rama V. 

IMG_5508.jpeg

IMG_5507.jpeg

• Like 2

Princess India of Afghanistan dead at 94.

• Like 3

On 31/01/2023 at 13:54, arghton said:

A palace of Ado Ibrahim, traditional African royal and paramount ruler of Nigeria's Ebiraland was, according to Nigerian media, bombed last month by terrorist group ISWAP. He's also "disrespected" President Buhari by not attending some meeting a few weeks ago. 94 next week

Ado Ibrahim dead at 94.

• Like 3

On 23/04/2022 at 14:39, arghton said:

Africa has quite a lot of elderly traditional rulers, if anyone is interested here are the ones I'm aware of born before 1940:

Owhorode Dr R. L. Ogbon (1917 - 16 March 2023) Ohworode of Olomu Kingdom from 1988 to 2023.

Ngola Buba Nvula Dala Mana Cabombo (1922 - September 2023) Monarch of Ndongo, Angola from the 1960s or 1970s to 2023. As of September 2023, the oldest living African traditional ruler.

Fon Angwafo III of Mankon (1 May 1925 - 21 May 2022) Fon of Mankon 1959 to 2022. Mankon is an area in Cameroon, and the Fons of Mankon seem to have lived long in the past: Since 1799 (first known Fon), he's the fourth person to hold this title. Also accused of keeping slaves. Picture above.

Joseph Chike Edozien (28 July 1925, also claims 1922 or 1923 -) Asagba of Asaba, traditional ruler of a city in Nigeria since around 1991. A respected figure, but the crime rate of his city is quite high.

Igwe Kenneth Onyeneke Orizu III (30 October 1925-) Obi of Otolo and Igwe of Nnewi Kingdom since 1963. Nnewi is a slightly smaller city than Asaba in Nigeria, Kenneth abolished a local caste system once.

Gundonaa Samata Abudu (9 March 1926-) Ghanaian traditional ruler, Gundonaa/Paramount woman chief of the Dagbon traditional region in the Northern Region of Ghana. The Gundonaa is the only Chief, be it male or female, who is able to veto the Yaa-Naa's word, whatever the hell that means.

Eze V. B. C. Onyema III (13 February 1927-) Eze Onyema III of Ogwu-Ikpele, an area in Nigeria since 1976.

Arubiefin IV, Owa of Idanre (March 1927-) Nigerian traditional monarch of old city Idanre. Crowned in September 1976.

Sayyadi Abubakar Mahmoud Usman (1928-) Emir of Ringim, an area in Nigeria since 1991.

Ado Ibrahim (1929 - 29 October 2023) Ohinoyi of Ebiraland 1997 to 2023.

Updated. Also, HM Ngola Buba Nvula Dala Mana Cabombo of Ndongo or whatever his name was died sometime in September, which should make Chike Edozien the oldest "monarch" in Africa if his age is correct. All the listed ones born in the 1920s are increasingly frail, most "somewhat active" except VBC Onyema III and Gundonaa Samata Abudu who I think might die off radar. Orizu III definitely the most "high-profile" on the list and might even get a QO somewhere.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, arghton said:

Updated. Also, HM Ngola Buba Nvula Dala Mana Cabombo of Ndongo or whatever his name was died sometime in September, which should make Chike Edozien the oldest "monarch" in Africa if his age is correct.

Died on September 8.

His name was so difficult I did not find the news when I searched eralier this morning. You have to search for "Rei Cabombo" to find the obit.

• Thanks 1

On 03/09/2023 at 01:53, polar duck said:

Prince Hitachi of Japan hospitalized with COVID-19 (non-English source).

Prince Hitachi was apparently unable to attend the re-opening of Tokyo Equestrian Park this month. His wife (Hanako, Princess Hitachi) was there and looked quite good for someone who's had some health troubles in the past:

hanako.thumb.png.ea1dba88c46b84df1ed274a35d74483c.png

(And that's Sen Sōshitsu XV, 100, behind her)

2 hours ago, arghton said:

Prince Hitachi was apparently unable to attend the re-opening of Tokyo Equestrian Park this month. His wife (Hanako, Princess Hitachi) was there and looked quite good for someone who's had some health troubles in the past.

Not surprising, as Hitachi has barely appeared in public since his surgery. His wife also represented him at last month's Paraemium Imperiale Awards Ceremony.

Here's a photo from last week: ZDRC3KENZ5NTVBFZXKKOWVNWWM.jpg

• Like 2