msc

So, How's Your 2017 Shortlist Looking?

While I had to painfully remove John Glenn from my shortlist, I think I found the 18 year old Spade was talking about, as well as another celebrity's sister...

Well, she'll be on 20-30 teams now! :P

Does anyone know her last name? Is it the same one?

Google it yourself!

(Yes)

He means her off Loose Women's sister.

It'd have taken them two seconds to look it up! Even googling Joey's post brought it up on the first page.

Do you think that sister would have any chance to be in the drop 40?

*looks blank*

It's like being on the outside of a soundproofed greenhouse.

• Like 4

ngl, just found an absolute peach of a pick that seems heavily off the radars of everyone on here.

Peaches, the electroclash singer?

Peaches Geldof?

Edit: Goddamnit, I forgot Peaches Geldof is dead.

As for my own shortlist, I find it terribly conventional right now. But I want to avoid last year's mistake and take out Mark Farren and Pearl Washington in the last week for terminally ill but hardly notable people. I will channel these instincts into my B team.

I think my team can hardly be improved anymore though I have to edu-cate myself some more. Just yesterday I started going through my longlist and found out that a DDP regular and very early entry into my list, is going South. As is his/her obitability though.

Francine "Peaches" Hurd Barker of Peaches and Herb is also dead. A cursed name?

"The Georgia Peach" Ty Cobb is dead.

First go-through of names - and even that isn't complete - and I've 200+ names lmao. And that isn't cancer mums and survivors etc. that's just names from our 2017 Watch list here and a few dozen I'd written down otherwise.

SC

Edit: John Glenn's name nary to be found. I guess I just don't know the magic words to look for in a news article yet.

When I use facebook to look for cancer sufferers, Joey Feek still shows up a lot even though she's been dead for months.

When I use facebook to look for cancer sufferers, Joey Feek still shows up a lot even though she's been dead for months.

Add something like "-Feek" to your query to eliminate those. I can't do a Stage 4 cancer search without 30% Big Ang articles, it helps to eliminate that crap.

• Like 1

The other was because I couldn't find enough evidence for that person so I can put him on my team.

Aye, Person A still hasn't revealed the results of their tests in November. Terribly unsporting, really...

Big fan of the guaranteed QO pick whose test results won't be available until the first week of January.

Ah yes, the Ian Farmer gamble could have changed DDP history if it had come off. Well, and if OoO and DDT hadn't both picked him, thus depriving both of the potential unique.

Although, just looking this up there, I realise OoO didn't have Bernie Nolan, and finished 9 points behind Spade - ouch!

I dreamed of a DDP team last night, and some of the people on there I never even heard of before... I haven't even found them...

I dreamed of a DDP team last night, and some of the people on there I never even heard of before... I haven't even found them...

As long as dream about a qualifying obit you'll be fine.

Unfortunately, the Glenn/Gill double whammy took some guaranteed people to make my DDP team

The fates giveth, the fates taketh away.

Actually, as I said nearly a year ago exactly:

Of course, but that's the nature of life. Many a prospective DDP joker has failed to make the starting line.

Those who contend just put the next hospice dweller on their list, and the rest of us go "Oh bugger, well, Bernard Hepton's still alive..."

And you know what? Bernard Hepton is still alive.

• Like 1

Actually, it's funny that when I dreamt up that dream team last night he wasn't on there. I guess that was foreshadowing

Nearly there.

I have some refining to do then I'll blast all the pools with my entries in a couple of days or so (except Hare's Pool for which I've already made my entry).

Apparently Ian Brady has a terminal lung condition. So he might be one of the biggest gambles of 2017, as he's pretty much guaranteed a drop 40 spot. The question is do you trust him? Or do you think he's pulling a Ryan Buell. Criminals are tricky you know...

I don't see how I will have time to give a fair assessment of the 200+ names I have much less a few I've come across since. 2017 going to be a half-assed DP year I fear.

SC

I had one of those moments that you see a nice 18 year old mentioned by the daily mail and scribbled on to your hypothetical DDP team, only to find his Twitter account and realize he's been dead since August, and the daily mail not reporting his death after all. Sigh. At least he wasn't my planned joker.

Even after removing the 18 year old who died in August from my DDP team, I found someone else that may or may not be on some people's radar, and made an easy replacement from the 18 year old. In case you want to know who the 18 year old was, it was a guy called Luke Blanock, who got a mention from the daily mail but no obituary on his death. I found out his death by looking up his twitter. Here is a mention of his death: http://www.observer-reporter.com/20161209/emotional_night_for_victorious_big_macs

And here's the daily mail article I was talking about: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3462088/Pennsylvania-teen-Luke-Blanock-18-terminal-bone-cancer-marries-girlfriend-Natalie-Britvich-ceremony-two-months-finding-illness-terminal.html

Yeah, inspirational cancer sufferers who get mentioned once and only once are a bear trap for unwise deadpoolers.

• Like 1

Being a first timer in the DDP, that is a mistake I learned and hopefully won't fall for again.

Seems like their a lot more 50/50 60/40 gambits compared to last year.

• Like 3

One of my gambits, Barrelhouse Chuck has died. I fear if more people die I have to go with a mostly super popular team.

• Like 1

ONE longlist which will never be allowed to reach 50 names will feed THREE deadpools (DDP, HPDP and Deathrace). I'll renew my RDP when that falls due and not even consider owt else. Current state of play is a total of 31 names, down from 34 cos three stiffed out on me over the last few weeks.