msc

So, How's Your 2017 Shortlist Looking?

Seems like their a lot more 50/50 60/40 gambits compared to last year.

99/1 correct.

I found lots of people with cancer, but only one has a guaranteed shot on making my team if that person makes. Two of the most annoying cases I saw (and both were mentioned by qualifying sources):

Person A is likely to get the daily mail, but that person did not have their last name mentioned, which is important to the DDP because I don't want to fall into the which blah blah blah scenario

Person B was even mentioned by the BBC and was active at least one day ago on twitter(no articles on their death), but I found no age for that person

Typical short list problems

EDIT: found person B's age.

And on that note, I'm finalising my various teams, entries etc.

DDP entries to be emailed to TMIB within the day (and fingers crossed I don't have to deal with yet more deaths between now and the end of December for my teams).

Will I have to keep a list of dead people who made my shortlist? That's the fourth one in one week.

Why not? My 2014 DDP team was awesome in October 2013...

• Like 2

I think I'm gonna do fantastic next year.

I mean, this year I'm around 43rd in the DDP and my list is 12/50, and I didn't even research - just stuffed it with Havelange and Adulyadej types.

As my poem in Crap Poetry Corner states, I started researching in September. At this point, I pretty much have all my deadpool teams and my Shadow List finished, I just have to add people, and unfortunately, putting in subs for A.A.Gill and Gayiel Von types.

For the Derby Dead Pool, I'm not that optimistic, but I think I might crack top 30. My joker has been on lists for a while now, and might not be a dead cert - but he is an obit cert. I have one or two "shameless" types, and one pick that I wanted to put as my joker but decided not to - however, they will be very famous for dying if they die in the unique situation they're expected to die in, so an obit is no problem. The problem is will they die the way they could die. I'm going to rename my team name to "For Them The Bell Tolls", btw.

Deathrace I actually think I have a shot at winning. That's a bold statement, considering I didn't reach 2016 points until like June of this year. However, I found a decent amount of "local newspaper" types that are Deathrace-able.

The only thing I seem to have trouble with is Shaun's Death By Numbers. A lot of people who have a very good chance of dying next year are in their 70s and 80s, so not much points.

So far, my biggest problems with planning for 2017 are:

1) Not a lot of dead certs. A lot of people seem like risky picks, I have found very few that will definitely die.

2) Researching is hard! I'm trying to find cancer mum types, but it's hard. I guess I should try harder than to just type in "hospice care" or "3 months to live" into Google. Oh, well. Christmas break will bring me more time to research.

I think for my shadow list, I'm going to restrict it to deathlisty names. So a few terminals will make it, but it's mainly older folk. I did the same thing with Hare's Deadpool. The other dead pools I'm entering won't be just filled with old people waiting to die. All my picks on those teams are very risky. (Well, not all of them, but you know what I mean...)

There's at least a dozen on my list, probably more, who I'd say will certainly be dead before January 1st 2018. I'd guess the folk with an actual research game have far more. That's not listing folk who are in good spirits but with nearly irreversible cancers, including one who was mentioned on this forum...about a year/eighteen months ago, took a down turn over the summer, still breathing, hopefully forgotten by the rest of the forum. ;)

Won't pick any of them, of course. I need to defend the vital 121st place spot - I screwed that up badly this year...

• Like 1

I have a good number of dead certs on my lists. I've noticed that none of my ALS picks died this year, so I stuffed my list with a lot more cancer picks and a lot less ALS for next year.

Hare's Pool - done.

Deathrace - done and sent to MPFC.

DDP - 3 teams are ready and about be sent to TMIB shortly. (Couple of dodderers who may bite the dust before, but given my history....they'll live).

Hartlepool DP: Team is ready and will be sent to RA on Boxing Day.

Death By Numbers: Still to start, but should be posting this tomorrow.

Crowdsourced: Will send to msc by Monday at the latest.

Personal List: soon, my pretties, soon...

Generation Game/Scavenger Hunt carry over anyway.

Windy City doesn't start til early next year I think.

All my picks will obit as they are all famous in their own right.

• Like 1

Got that "slowly starting to talk myself out of my uniques" fever at the moment.

My move cost me two months of research time. I have three DDP teams ready (but didn't get to replace Craig Sager yet) but none for the other competitions. Last year, I had my first draft ready in August (DDP, HPDP, Deathrace, Hare's, Shaun's death by numbers). This year, it was impossible. I will also start to make multiple use of names. I couldn't do it the other way this time.

However, beginning on Monday I'm off work for a week, so time enough to do something.

• Like 2

Got that "slowly starting to talk myself out of my uniques" fever at the moment.

Let's put it this way: you had only 1 unique in your squad in 2016...

Let's put it this way: you had only 1 unique in your squad in 2016...

Only one team in the top ten without a single unique pick. B)

Most of the ones I talked myself out of wouldn't have been unique anyhow. I'm under the impression that Spade's domination of the DDP has forced others to try and raise their game, though.

The only names I'm still considering who I think have a chance at being unique (they probably won't be anyway...) are on the old side as is. I'm not concerning myself too much with uniques at this point, they only ever seem to work for me when I wasn't even expecting them to be unique - see Tony Sheridan and Suzanne Wright.

Suzanne Wright is basically the perfect unique pick, no? No one else noticed her, she died, and she was younger than expected = 12 points for DI.

Aye, but one kind of figures most of the super competitive players scour the web for all the pancreatic mentions they can find. But then I was much more confident on her obit chances than anyone else who may have found her, which was the key factor there...

I'm looking at what my team looks like right now, I have 2 potential uniques on my team currently, but I'm sure those two will probably be on other people's teams

I'm looking at what my team looks like right now, I have 2 potential uniques on my team currently, but I'm sure those two will be on other people's teams

Joey I love you to bits, but that's one of hell of a sentence to say absolutely nothing.

I'm looking at what my team looks like right now, I have 2 potential uniques on my team currently, but I'm sure those two will be on other people's teams

Joey I love you to bits, but that's one of hell of a sentence to say absolutely nothing.
D'oh, I forgot the word probably

Aye, but one kind of figures most of the super competitive players scour the web for all the pancreatic mentions they can find. But then I was much more confident on her obit chances than anyone else who may have found her, which was the key factor there...

Oh yes, pancreatic and glioblastomas. One of my short list even has both!

I'm looking at what my team looks like right now, I have 2 potential uniques on my team currently, but I'm sure those two will probably be on other people's teams

Sandy McDonald might have been a unique here (as those who knew seemed to steer clear on 50/50 grounds) had some idiot not mentioned it on this forum.

• Like 1

Oh yes, pancreatic and glioblastomas. One of my short list even has both!

Lucky you (but not them obvs).

• Like 2

I also knew of Suzanne Wright, but would never have expected her to obit ...qualifyingly.

I think my main team will end up having no uniques at all. My B-team however will have a couple of them. Shameless will have fewer uniques than this year.

I think it's also worth noting that uniques is no longer something that will pay off as much as teams that have a lot of people in the drop 40 . Not saying all 20 of your members need to be drop 40 contenders, but carefully selecting the right ones will help you next year.