themaninblack

Derby Dead Pool 2017

What letters do you have remaining that I can do?

What letters do you have remaining that I can do?

Thanks for reminding me. I was going to a list of what's been done so far.

They are:

0-9

A

F

G

H

I

J

L

O

P

Q

R

V

Y

Z

D, K & S are currently being worked on.

That leaves N (18), T (26), F (31), C (52), W ( M (74) & B (80) still to do...

How does it work? Via PM? I could do a couple of letters, next weekend will be very quiet.

You could do a couple of the less taxing letters, while I tackle the bigger beasts...

An update is due this week, so I may work on the pics first before tacking the biog info...

Then give me the N, if you like.

Then give me the N, if you like.

Sent.

• Like 1

Actually just got finished with the work on the Ds last night, I'll send them right now...

Did catch on that Dare should be Da Re as I was doing the research.

• Like 1

Sumner is the sixth hit for Bert Trautmann. He's the only one who could keep up with the breakneck speed of last year. Also ahead in my statistical scoreboard, but I want to keep at least a week of distance between updates.

Sumner is the sixth hit for Bert Trautmann. He's the only one who could keep up with the breakneck speed of last year. Also ahead in my statistical scoreboard, but I want to keep at least a week of distance between updates.

I'm ahead on 2016 Pan Breed by 3 days. My 5th hit last year was Valentines Day (Lord Avebury).

I'm noticing the lack of list of lost entrants. Only 3 so far. I wonder if it's either the fact journalism got better or if people's research has gotten better...

• Like 1

I'm noticing the lack of list of lost entrants. Only 3 so far. I wonder if it's either the fact journalism got better or if people's research has gotten better...

And one of them is for my reserves team! Which, to be fair, backs up him being a reserve: no obit and even if he gets an obit, not unique!

"Journalism got better" is kind of Ironic in the case of Paul McGill

A respected Journalist and one time President of the NUJ

I thought someone from one of the QO sites would have known him and given him a mention.

• Like 1

The obituary vault may be the first step towards the abolition of Fringes of Fame or Not Famous But Terminally ill picks. That proves everyone knows who they are (because since the Obituary Vault exists we all know who will be put in it) and there are no ambiguities in declaring their non-fame (no one has protested because Sims or McGiffin were included in the Vault). The drop 40 bonus also points in that direction, privileging famous picks and not encouraging OV ones.

We are gonna see how the DDP goes this year. The victory of a team with few terminally picks (not nice to say, but some of them, at least two three, are essential to make well with this rules) would prove there's no real need for them. We have enough famous deaths.

This could be done not necessarily next year, but in a foreseeable future. That's how I see it. But for this year enjoy the competition and not polemicize.

I think it's more of a way for people to focus less on OFFBIAD picks and more on actual celebrities WITHOUT banning them entirely.

• Like 1

I think it's more of a way for people to focus less on OFFBIAD picks and more on actual celebrities WITHOUT banning them entirely.

Penalize them and then ban them. Time to time.

• Like 1

I'd actually consider a penalty more effective than a ban since banning names would probably have to be done at the beginning of the year and would be a massive headache (especially since famous for being ills aren't always clear cut to the degree of... you're either under 18 or not, or you're either an ISIS hostage or not) but a penalty could presumably be implemented when a name dies. And the big reason for picking these names is because they're worth a lot of points. One of the big caveats with this though is that this would increase the chances of one of these picks being unique, and of course the debate of whether certain borderline names are FFBI or not would always remain.

I was thinking about this a few nights ago, and came up with the idea of banning certain picks from being jokers. Not your Joey Feek (award nominated musician) or dr Granger (OBE) but your "in a coma" or Shameless-fodder. With the caveat being that if you did pick them as your joker, they were removed and you played without a joker and only 19 names.

But, if there is a 2018 DDP, this is stuff we can discuss at great depth in a few months...

What would the rugby hopeful fall under. I know the person who's my joker is one of the debatable names.

At what point does an old person become a terminally ill person?

It could be said that the likes of Kirk Douglas, Vera Lynn or Hugh Hefner could be classed as terminally ill simply due to their age.

At what point does an old person become a terminally ill person?

It could be said that the likes of Kirk Douglas, Vera Lynn or Hugh Hefner could be classed as terminally ill simply due to their age.

An old person can't be classed as a terminally ill person until they have a terminal illness like King Michael. Those are simply just old people you are talking about.

I have no objection to any name being picked no matter what the reason, the penalty for picking someone that is terminally ill is that most others will pick them as well thus nulifying the points gained.

As has been said, those terminal cases should be barred from being selected as a joker pick.

We're not saying to ban all terminal cases from being jokers, just the ones who are ONLY famous for being ill.