RadGuy

Thoughts On The 2017 List

Things seemed to have slowed down a bit so I was thinking who would be good like for like replacements for the seven hits.

Peter Sallis - Freddie Jones (well loved British actor)

David Rockefeller - Lilliane Bettencourt  (Very rich and very old)

John Noakes - Johnny Ball (kids TV)

Joost van der Weisthuizen - Fernando Ricksen  (ill sportsman)

Mary Tyler Moore - Carol Channing ( US TV)

Errol Christie - Stefan Karl Steffansson  (Iller than they are famous)

Ian Brady - Peter Sutcliffe  (Murderers)

I was thinking David Bellamy has to be getting to the age where he's on the Committee's longlist now. Anyone got any health info on him?

6 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I was thinking David Bellamy has to be getting to the age where he's on the Committee's longlist now. Anyone got any health info on him?

He is a patron of the British Homeopathic Association so that should be good from our point of view.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Since it's looking like July will be another dud month, it now must have a hit on the remaining five months in order to have the number of months with the most hits ratio. Is that possible? 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

Since it's looking like July will be another dud month, it now must have a hit on the remaining five months in order to have the number of months with the most hits ratio. Is that possible? 

Before more people get confused (again), I'll again clarify what I meant. In 2008, one of the three record-tying years, it got it's hits spread out between 9 months in all. Currently in 2017, it's hits has been spread out between, so far, 5 out of 7 months. So I was asking if the hits could possibly spread out to more than 9 months. 

I know, I can be very confusing some times...

3 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Things seemed to have slowed down a bit so I was thinking who would be good like for like replacements for the seven hits.

Peter Sallis -  Colin Baker (well loved British actor)

John Noakes - ken Dodd (kids TV)

Mary Tyler Moore - Dick van Dyke ( US TV)

Ian Brady - Charles Manson  (Murderers)

Improved your list.

• Like 3

Was Ken Dodd really a kids TV host? I mean he did the voiceover for the Diddymen, but by that argument Ringo Starr is a kids' TV fave.

Ringo Starr is a kids TV fave. I didn't know he had a music career till I were about 10 or 12.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Improved your list.

I don't think Ken Dodd is a good replacement for Noakes. If there is anyone on the main list he would be a good replacement for it would be Vera Lynn. Freddie Jones is much older than Colin Baker but it would be a 50:50 toss up between Sutcliffe and Manson.

I also this Dick Van Dyke has 100 in his sights.

Edited by Bibliogryphon

What about Frank Miller ( a famous comic book writer) ?

• Like 1

I will say to wait a litle bit more before to start to do replacements... I think we need to start a  list of the remaining people. .. the top 25 stay 

4 hours ago, Deadpool said:

I will say to wait a litle bit more before to start to do replacements... I think we need to start a  list of the remaining people. .. the top 25 stay 

I am of a different opinion. The people who have died are a certainty. The Committee never go for direct replacements so this was a discussion topic until the next hit (in September)

On 31/07/2017 at 15:25, The Mad Hatter said:

Improved your list.

Is there anything wrong with Colin Baker apart from him being enormously fat? Surely the older Tom Baker is a better bet if we have to have a Doctor. If we are going for old actors how about Joss Ackland? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I am of a different opinion. The people who have died are a certainty. The Committee never go for direct replacements so this was a discussion topic until the next hit (in September)

Do you think we are not going to have a hit on August?? Be more optimistic! 

On 01/08/2017 at 21:33, Bibliogryphon said:

You were wrong this time... I think we can get another hit in August 

My updated verdict for the 2017 list with Campbell gone. 

Almost certain: King Michael of Romania, Nobby Stiles.

In real danger but may make to 2018: Gord Downie, Kirk Douglas, Billy Graham, Herman Wouk, Leslie Phillips, Jill Gascoine, Bruce Forsyth, Desmond Tutu, Liz Dawn, Valerie Harper, Emperor Akhito, Leah Bracknell, George Bush Sr, Jerry Lewis, Tony Booth

Will they won't they?: Lord Carrington, Duke of Edinburgh, Denis Norden, Pierre Cardin, Jimmy Carter, Robert Mugabe, Javier Perez De Cueller, Jake Lamotta, Doug Ellis, Hugh Hefner, David Prowse, Sandy Gall, Pope Benedict, Fats Domino, Vera Lynn, Olivia De Havilland, Ian St John, Hosni Mubarak

Little chance: Stan Lee, Betty White, Honor Blackman, Queen Elizabeth II, Bob Barker, Bob Dole, Gay Byrne

On 7/31/2017 at 09:25, The Mad Hatter said:

Peter Sallis -  Colin Baker (well loved British actor)

John Noakes - ken Dodd (kids TV)

Mary Tyler Moore - Dick van Dyke ( US TV)

Ian Brady - Charles Manson  (Murderers)

Glen Campbell - Loretta Lynn or Willie Nelson? Maybe even Kenny Rogers... (Country legends)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ebless said:

My updated verdict for the 2017 list with Campbell gone. 

Almost certain: King Michael of Romania, Nobby Stiles.

In real danger but may make to 2018: Gord Downie, Kirk Douglas, Billy Graham, Herman Wouk, Leslie Phillips, Jill Gascoine, Bruce Forsyth, Desmond Tutu, Liz Dawn, Valerie Harper, Emperor Akhito, Leah Bracknell, George Bush Sr, Jerry Lewis, Tony Booth

Will they won't they?: Lord Carrington, Duke of Edinburgh, Denis Norden, Pierre Cardin, Jimmy Carter, Robert Mugabe, Javier Perez De Cueller, Jake Lamotta, Doug Ellis, Hugh Hefner, David Prowse, Sandy Gall, Pope Benedict, Fats Domino, Vera Lynn, Olivia De Havilland, Ian St John, Hosni Mubarak

Little chance: Stan Lee, Betty White, Honor Blackman, Queen Elizabeth II, Bob Barker, Bob Dole, Gay Byrne

Douglas, Wouk, Tutu and Lewis are not in real danger imho, they are just old. Carter and Fats should be moved to the "little chance" category as they seem to fully enjoy life atm.

Also, I have a bad feeling about Stan Lee.

12 hours ago, FixedBusiness said:

Glen Campbell - Loretta Lynn or Willie Nelson? Maybe even Kenny Rogers... (Country legends)

Another option is Linda Rondstat. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Another option is Linda Rondstat. 

oo yeah, forgot about the parkinson's.

My updated verdict for the 2017 list

Almost certain (90-99%) : King Michael of Romania, George Bush Sr, Leah Bracknell 

In real danger (60-90%) but may make to 2018: Gord Downie, Kirk Douglas, Billy Graham, Herman Wouk, Leslie Phillips, Bruce Forsyth, Desmond Tutu, Liz Dawn, Valerie Harper, Duke of Edinburgh, Tony Booth

Some chance (20-60%): Jill Gascoigne, Lord Carrington, Denis Norden, Pierre Cardin, Jerry Lewis, Jimmy Carter, Robert Mugabe, Javier Perez De Cueller, Jake Lamotta, Doug Ellis, Hugh Hefner, David Prowse, Stan Lee, Sandy Gall, Pope Benedict, Vera Lynn, Olivia De Havilland, Ian St John, Hosni Mubarak

Very little chance (0-20%): Emperor  Akihito, Betty White, Honor Blackman, Queen Elizabeth II, Bob Barker, Bob Dole, Gay Byrne, Fats Domino 

• Thanks 1

Do we really think they'll break the record, or is it just hope from the forum that they will break it. 

I'm wondering if 14/50 is that ceiling that, while they hope will be broken, they'll never be able to break the glass walls. It's not that they don't have enough good names to break it (there's still plenty to choose from, it's more the fact that many of them will roll over into 2018 despite their illness because that is what always happens every year. 

If the record is to be broken, however, a) how much can it be broken by this year and B) who will join the already deceased picks in order to break the record. 

I personally think that 16 is a reasonable end of the year total with this year's selection, there are still plenty of good names on the list, and there's always at least one name that strikes you as still doing, but then they become a surprise hit. 

I can't really comment on who will be the remaining hits, imo, other than the gut feeling of Jerry Lewis,  who's doesn't have any recent news of his hospital visit that he has yet to be discharged from...

P.S. Whenever I place the b and ) next to each other, they always turn into this. B) Is there a way to fix that please...

Hits for year if added rest of year to current total

2016 (14), 2015 (12), 2014 (12), 2013 (13), 2012 (12), 2011 (10), 2010 (14), 2009 (14), 2008 (11), 2007 (10), 2006 (14), 2005 (12), 2004 (12), 2003 (14), etc.

It'd require unprecedented hittage in the last third of the year to break the record.

Although, take precedent out of it. How many of the current list are known to be frail or very ill? 12-14. So, yes, the record can be broken.

Valerie Harper and Liz Dawn, don't you think they look a little lonely on the list now?

Also, we've had a rather warm summer here, and whenever one of those happens, there's a a fucker of a winter to follow. Lots of old people on the list. Old people didn't like cold winters.

With all that said, no, I don't think they'll beat the record, till its broken one day.

• Like 1