RadGuy

Thoughts On The 2017 List

So we need 7 to die to get the record so here is my assessment of the 14 most likely to die

1)Jerry Lewis (Heart problems dating back to 1960 as well as many gealth problems.Now has difficulty swallowing following an infection:Been very quiet these past few weeks)

2)Tony Booth (Advanced Alzheimers COPD and congestive heart failure and still smoking)

3)Gord Downie (Now 20months into a glioblastoma diagnosis which is above average.Been quiet again recently.

4)Nobby Stiles (End stage alzheimers dating back well over a decade.In a nursing home and seems close to death according to son.Also has prostate cancer and several strokes.

5)Leah Bracknell (11 months into stage 4 lung cancer and reliant on quack medicine for several months.Nearly died from a build up of fluid on heart last year.)

6)Jake LaMotta (Extremely elderly frail and in a nusing home now.Has had heart problems too)

7)King Michael (Two types of cancer frail but stable but at nearly 96 and a lot of time in hospital things can only get worse)

8)HermanWouk(Exceptionally old wheelchair bound and reliant on oxygen tank.)

9)Jill Gascoigne (Had Alzheimers and has been a nursing home for about 3.All reports seem bleak)

10)Liz Dawn (Had emphysema nearly 15 years is wheelchair bound has heart problems and is prone to pneumonia.Very quiet since heart surgery in June)

11)Valerie Harper (Has metastatic lung cancer in the meninges.Been dying for 4 and a half years but no recent update.)

12)Leslie Philips (Had a serious stroke 2 years ago.Wheelchair bound and nearly died from a seizure a while back.)

13)George H W Bush (Has a form of parkinsons and keeps getting a recurrent lung infection.)

14)Bruce Forsyth (Not been seen orphotographed since 2015 when he had anerysm surgery.At 89 such a slow recovery can't be a good sign)

Seems plausible half will go by December 31st.Even if not still a lot of over 90s on this list.Still achievable.

2/14 in 4 days.

• Like 6

On 09/08/2017 at 01:00, FixedBusiness said:

Glen Campbell - Loretta Lynn or Willie Nelson? Maybe even Kenny Rogers... (Country legends)

Or Malcolm Young?Musician with alzheimers.

• Like 2

I was checking the numbers of "deathlist Hits" from 14 august until 31 December of past 12 years... the worst cases are that we can expect at least 2 deaths more, so we are going to have a score of 10 (not so bad)... on the other hand, in the most positive cases we get 6 more hits, and then we are going to equal the record of 14... so, according to the records, seems unlikely that we (deathlist ) are going to score more than 6 hits until 31 december 

I can see Graham, Bracknell, Lewis, King Michael, Stiles and LaMotta leaving us before 2017 is out giving us a record equalling total of 14.

Bruce has just taken us to Nine so well done to the poster who said they would be a second August hit.

• Thanks 2

It's got another 4 more in it, I reckon. Bracknell, Booth, Downie, Dawn.

I suspect that at a minimum, it'll be a record tying year. Lots of good picks remain.

I think we're heading for a record now. Still sticking with the six I predicted a few posts up. 

On 15/08/2017 at 12:19, Shaun of the Dead said:

So we need 7 to die to get the record so here is my assessment of the 14 most likely to die

1)Jerry Lewis (Heart problems dating back to 1960 as well as many gealth problems.Now has difficulty swallowing following an infection:Been very quiet these past few weeks)

2)Tony Booth (Advanced Alzheimers COPD and congestive heart failure and still smoking)

3)Gord Downie (Now 20months into a glioblastoma diagnosis which is above average.Been quiet again recently.

4)Nobby Stiles (End stage alzheimers dating back well over a decade.In a nursing home and seems close to death according to son.Also has prostate cancer and several strokes.

5)Leah Bracknell (11 months into stage 4 lung cancer and reliant on quack medicine for several months.Nearly died from a build up of fluid on heart last year.)

6)Jake LaMotta (Extremely elderly frail and in a nusing home now.Has had heart problems too)

7)King Michael (Two types of cancer frail but stable but at nearly 96 and a lot of time in hospital things can only get worse)

9)Jill Gascoigne (Had Alzheimers and has been a nursing home for about 3.All reports seem bleak)

10)Liz Dawn (Had emphysema nearly 15 years is wheelchair bound has heart problems and is prone to pneumonia.Very quiet since heart surgery in June)

11)Valerie Harper (Has metastatic lung cancer in the meninges.Been dying for 4 and a half years but no recent update.)

12)Leslie Philips (Had a serious stroke 2 years ago.Wheelchair bound and nearly died from a seizure a while back.)

13)George H W Bush (Has a form of parkinsons and keeps getting a recurrent lung infection.)

14)Bruce Forsyth (Not been seen orphotographed since 2015 when he had anerysm surgery.At 89 such a slow recovery can't be a good sign)

Seems plausible half will go by December 31st.Even if not still a lot of over 90s on this list.Still achievable.

Only 6 on this list needed to break the record (not to mention the other coffin dodgers on the list)

Hmm, of your list I wouldn't write Christmas cards for Lewis, Booth, Downie or Bracknell right now. Suspect (at least) one of the old timers will go, too. That takes us to 14, and as you point out, lots of folk in dire straits, none of which would surprise if their death was announced tomorrow.

1 minute ago, msc said:

Hmm, of your list I wouldn't write Christmas cards for Lewis, Booth, Downie or Bracknell right now. Suspect (at least) one of the old timers will go, too. That takes us to 14, and as you point out, lots of folk in dire straits, none of which would surprise if their death was announced tomorrow.

Except for David Prowse, of course...

On 02/08/2017 at 09:49, Deadpool said:

I will say two hits on August 

I was right :)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Deadpool said:

I was right :)

Not yet, there could be another hit in the next 13 days...

Just now, Joey Russ said:

Not yet, there could be another hit in the next 13 days...

I hope so... but my answer was more for another user who said that the hit number 8 ( before Glen Campbell dead) it's gonna be on September 

My updated verdict for the 2017 list with Brucie gone. 

Almost certain: King Michael of Romania, Nobby Stiles.

In real danger but may see 2018: Gord Downie, Kirk Douglas, Herman Wouk, Leslie Phillips, Jill Gascoine, Desmond Tutu, Liz Dawn, Valerie Harper, Emperor Akhito, Leah Bracknell, George Bush Sr, Jerry Lewis, Tony Booth

Will they won't they?: Lord Carrington, Duke of Edinburgh, Denis Norden, Pierre Cardin, Jimmy Carter, Robert Mugabe, Javier Perez De Cueller, Jake Lamotta, Doug Ellis, Hugh Hefner, David Prowse, Sandy Gall, Pope Benedict, Fats Domino, Vera Lynn, Olivia De Havilland, Ian St John, Hosni Mubarak, Billy Graham, Stan Lee

Little chance: Betty White, Honor Blackman, Queen Elizabeth II, Bob Barker, Bob Dole, Gay Byrne

I must laugh, most of the list's acclaim was focused on the picks who weren't on the 2016 list. However, most of the hits so far were picks that actually on last years list, which had mixed reviews. That shows that those picks, along with the missed Pirsig, were picked one year too early (and many of them kind of felt that way in the first place anyways). What we actually got so far from the non-2016 list was that really old guy who was never in doubt, the criminal who took on the role of dying for the year, and the terminally ill boxer who was picked on all the contenders team. I suspect there's more to come, but I think more hits this year could be from 2016's survivors instead of the returnees/newcomers to the list...

• Like 2

On 8/15/2017 at 06:19, Shaun of the Dead said:

Didn't Valerie have brain cancer? Not lung?

20 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

Nope valerie has lung cancer,, you're probably thinking of Downie

2 hours ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

@FixedBusiness is right, although the cancer is no longer in her lungs, only in the meninges (membrane surrounding the brain), it's still classified as "metastatic lung cancer", because it originated from there. (Just like Jimmy Carter's cancer was classified as metastatic melanoma and not liver and/or brain cancer.)

She thought she had her primary cancer (in the lung) "beaten" in 2009, only to see it recur in 2013 as leptomeningeal carcinomatosis, which should've killed her in three months according to her doctors' initial guesses. But her chemotherapy was remarkably successful, and although she has not beaten the disease and had not been symptom-free, she could stay reasonably active in the last 4 and a half years.

I guess her cancer is now more akin to a "managed" chronic condition (like Sam Simon's colon cancer) that is expected to eventually kill her if the chemo is no longer effective, although when that will happen is anyone's guess.

• Thanks 4

Colin Meads is the biggest miss of the year for the committee.

• Like 2

On 8/18/2017 at 22:36, FixedBusiness said:

Nope valerie has lung cancer,, you're probably thinking of Downie

No I'm not. I remember it being Terminal brain cancer specifically.

2 minutes ago, Zsa Zsa's leg said:

No I'm not. I remember it being Terminal brain cancer specifically.

She does not have brain cancer.The cancer is in the meninges.It was reported as nrain cancer due to it being so close to the brain.

44 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

Colin Meads is the biggest miss of the year for the committee.

You do realize that it's their list, not ours. So, you can't really complain if someone was on the list or not , even if they're known to be ill...

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 2

Just now, Joey Russ said:

You do realize that it's their list, not ours. So, you can't really complain if someone was on the list or not , even if they're known to be ill...

Yes just seems a glaring ommission.

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

The thread title is thoughts on the 2017 list and Shauns thoughts on this list is that one particular name is a glaring omission. Categorising that as complaining is just a bit silly. 

• Like 5