Sign in to follow this  
Sean

Elizabethans

40 minutes ago, ObakeFilter said:

Bit strange Robert Downey Jr. wasn't chosen some years later, he looks like a much more plausible option than her around that time...

Yeah I mean I get why you would pick someone who was off their face but Oprah doesnt fit in that category.

Mike Ditka picked twice: 1989 and 1990, and he is still alive and doing well aged 77. Still in TV ads. But I can see how he was an okay pick at that time due to his heart attack in 1988.

Anyways, nothing will ever top "any one Beatle" in terms of shittyness.

Quite frankly and with the greatest of respect to fellows on here, this is all bollocks isn't it?

IIRC, the Committee were roundly applauded for their list this year, then someone like Roger Moore or Helmut Kohl pops off and you all point and say ooh, look that's a big miss, followed by the inevitable soul searching about previous lists that the Committee compiled.

I do my usual gentle teasing in the annual (probably now bi-annual) poetry section, but you guys are taking all this way too seriously. Whilst it is all about life or death, it isn't actually life or death.

Wow.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

Yeah I mean I get why you would pick someone who was off their face but Oprah doesnt fit in that category.

Maybe a fan of Sally Jessy Raphael put her there...

3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Quite frankly and with the greatest of respect to fellows on here, this is all bollocks isn't it?

IIRC, the Committee were roundly applauded for their list this year, then someone like Roger Moore or Helmut Kohl pops off and you all point and say ooh, look that's a big miss, followed by the inevitable soul searching about previous lists that the Committee compiled.

I do my usual gentle teasing in the annual (probably now bi-annual) poetry section, but you guys are taking all this way too seriously. Whilst it is all about life or death, it isn't actually life or death.

Wow.

I'm pretty sure most people are still of the opinion that this year's list is great.

The committee isn't untouchable. They made some hilariously bad choices back in the day, like the Queen when she was in her 60s, Oprah when she was in her 30s, and "any one Beatle". It's interesting to point back at those choices. The committee has clearly improved a lot since then.

Just now, RadGuy said:

I'm pretty sure most people are still of the opinion that this year's list is great.

The committee isn't untouchable. They made some hilariously bad choices back in the day, like the Queen when she was in her 60s, Oprah when she was in her 30s, and "any one Beatle". It's interesting to point back at those choices. The committee has clearly improved a lot since then.

They are untouchable. I'm sure they don't care about this annual hand-wringing you all do on their behalf. It's their list, their rules, their forum.

As users of this forum however, what would be a more interesting exercise might be if we all published our annual shadowlists, complied with the same rules that the Committee set down for themselves, then we could all discuss each other's lists with the mahoosive benefit of hindsight in 5 years or so. But that might be unworkable. Maybe sometimes we all have picks we are not proud of or who might be laughable in others' eyes, safe in the knowledge that next year it will all be lost to history. That makes you guys untouchable...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RadGuy said:

Mike Ditka picked twice: 1989 and 1990, and he is still alive and doing well aged 77. Still in TV ads. But I can see how he was an okay pick at that time due to his heart attack in 1988.

Anyways, nothing will ever top "any one Beatle" in terms of shittyness.

cough...Ruby Muhammad...cough

3 minutes ago, drol said:

cough...Ruby Muhammad...cough

It wasn't even a person though, Muhammad was one...

13 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

They are untouchable. I'm sure they don't care about this annual hand-wringing you all do on their behalf. It's their list, their rules, their forum.

As users of this forum however, what would be a more interesting exercise might be if we all published our annual shadowlists, complied with the same rules that the Committee set down for themselves, then we could all discuss each other's lists with the mahoosive benefit of hindsight in 5 years or so. But that might be unworkable. Maybe sometimes we all have picks we are not proud of or who might be laughable in others' eyes, safe in the knowledge that next year it will all be lost to history. That makes you guys untouchable...

We're not trying to degrade them, downgrade them, or stage a fucking coup. 

All we're saying is a handful of picks have been bad. That's just the truth. You don't have to get offended on their behalf. Grim Reaper and Welshman ain't no special snowflakes.

I, for one, do publish my Shadow Lists. I think my 2015 and 2016 ones have been lost in the mists of time, as I only put them in my signature and not in a thread, but my 2017 one is in my signature now and in the Shadow Lists thread. I follow the same rules: only 25 can remain, no cancer mums, etc.

Sometimes I do better than them, such as having 13 to their 12 last year. Sometimes I do worse. My 2015 list was a disaster! 6 hits, and terrible choices like Richard Daley, Carol Burnett, Amanda Bynes, etc. In 2016, I had Helmut Kohl in #4, drop him for 2017, and he dies. How incredibly retarded of me!

There, as you can see, I am capable of criticizing myself.

We should all be allowed to criticize others, and we should all be capable of criticizing ourselves.

• Like 1

Yeah, for my DDP, jokering Suisala was a really bad choice...

I used to be so bad at deadpooling, that when Tony Benn took ill, I put him on my DDP team, in the hope it would jinx him alive.

He fucking died.

Bloody Grim Reaper, taking the piss out of me...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

We do have the Crowdsourced Deathlist.

• Like 3

Just now, Toast said:

We do have the Crowdsourced Deathlist.

B)

And the combined wisdom of the forum have missed some big names too this year: Sarstedt and Soares, for example, who have been moaned about as Deathlist misses...

So you know, that's life...

I think we can all come to the conclusion that the deathlist is not what it used to be, if it were more competitive and planned to reach a goal, they wouldn't have put Oprah, Any One Beatle, and the Queen in her sixties on the list. Recently however, they are starting to pick picks that are more ill and old, with slightly less fame. Of course we have the occasional Ruby and Fergie, but we all had to have made an embarrassing pick in at least one of our shadow lists... I picked Cher and Janet Jackson in 2016!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

B)

And the combined wisdom of the forum have missed some big names too this year: Sarstedt and Soares, for example, who have been moaned about as Deathlist misses...

So you know, that's life...

That, and the Crowdsourced list had Sinead O'Connor in 2016. What a terrible pick...

I think the committee are doing well and will break the record comfortably!

I come to not praise or bury the Committee. I'm not offended at all either by the posts above or on behalf of anyone, but I swear it is an annual thing where the same names, the same misses, "why did they pick them?" blah blah blah are trotted out year after year. Could all be settled by a one-off post in the Statistics section.

Yeah, maybe we should have Biggest Misses by the Crowdsourced Deathlist, etc etc. That is more fun and it certainly is more apt as users of the forum. And we could bewail our own picks (such as me dropping Noriega from 2016! Doh!). For we have much more diverse picks because of the spread of nationalities, interests etc. And it would be new and interesting imo.

Had to put my head above the parapet though....:tomatododge:

• Like 3

This thread is really for keeping track of how many deathlist candidates lifespans encompass QE2s reign.Can seeher lasting a few years so could get interesting.

5 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

I think the committee are doing well and will break the record comfortably!

I'm not sure if they'll break it comfortably, lots of picks who we think are good candidates always like to hang on. We should break it though.

24 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

I come to not praise or bury the Committee. I'm not offended at all either by the posts above or on behalf of anyone, but I swear it is an annual thing where the same names, the same misses, "why did they pick them?" blah blah blah are trotted out year after year. Could all be settled by a one-off post in the Statistics section.

Yeah, maybe we should have Biggest Misses by the Crowdsourced Deathlist, etc etc. That is more fun and it certainly is more apt as users of the forum. And we could bewail our own picks (such as me dropping Noriega from 2016! Doh!). For we have much more diverse picks because of the spread of nationalities, interests etc. And it would be new and interesting imo.

Had to put my head above the parapet though....:tomatododge:

I think for the 2018 Crowdsourced, along with some voting changes (to be revealed nearer the time, if I'm spared myself), I might nab the Form Guide thing Maryport does for the Midsummer, and let folk try and push contenders. I mean, it worked for June Foray and Glynis Johns to an extent this year.

And not for Robert Hardy.

Oh this reminds me, I'm to put up the "entire list by points".

• Like 1

Bets on the next on the list on page 1 to die next? I am going with Gord Downie.

4 minutes ago, Shaun of the Dead said:

Bets on the next on the list on page 1 to die next? I am going with Gord Downie.

Leah Bracknell

• Like 1

Thom Yorke

3 minutes ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Thom Yorke

Oh, so he was on the 1988 list that was lost in the mist of time. You're a genius...

6 hours ago, The Mad Hatter said:

Thom Yorke

If Thom Yorke ever has a life threatening illness and get a on the DL, his caption will read "Disappeared Completely"