maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2018

47 minutes ago, msc said:

There's also a news article referring to the death of *another* of the early same sex marriage people from last month, and references Willow without saying she is dead.

Entire thing has an element of French farce about it now, can't help but laugh.

Aye, you and me both - was just on her FB page and there's an upcoming event for 23 Feb. Cas Willow RIP isn't available on FB. 

Granted the upcoming event is the kind of professional conference she may or may not attend (though at the moment she is listed as the "host"). Not quite as specific as Leah Bracknell's gig, but close. But not at all convinced she's dead on this evidence. 

FB: https://www.facebook.com/CasWillow.1/

I think she must have died.  But in this sort of case her death won't necessarily be newsworthy.  The wedding was the news story, and a key factor of the story was that she was dying, so the media interest will have moved on.  That's not to say it won't get a mention in connection with something further down the line though.

If she is not actually dead I think I might die laughing - if I did I would have an outside chance of a local QO or at least a report about how I died.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Toast said:

I think she must have died.  But in this sort of case her death won't necessarily be newsworthy.  The wedding was the news story, and a key factor of the story was that she was dying, so the media interest will have moved on.  That's not to say it won't get a mention in connection with something further down the line though.

Hmmm

High enough profile coverage that my guess is that the death would make a snippet fairly soon after her demise; maybe the friends and family are angling for not until after the funeral. Or maybe she ain't dead. Looking at the scale of the coverage and the fact she's at least a semi-public figure in her own right I thought her Deathrace points worthy as and when. Though - frankly - it will be hilarious if she's currently breathing!

6 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

If she is not actually dead I think I might die laughing - if I did I would have an outside chance of a local QO or at least a report about how I died.

Like the Goodies' "ecky thump" guy (though it was later discovered heart defects ran in the family and his death might not have been what it seemed.) Link: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/9344957/Man-who-died-laughing-at-Goodies-had-Long-QT-syndrome.html

2 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Hmmm

High enough profile coverage that my guess is that the death would make a snippet fairly soon after her demise; maybe the friends and family are angling for not until after the funeral. Or maybe she ain't dead. Looking at the scale of the coverage and the fact she's at least a semi-public figure in her own right I thought her Deathrace points worthy as and when. Though - frankly - it will be hilarious if she's currently breathing!

Is it possible at all that the Aussie media just don't know that she's died?

Because she is dead, 100%, her widow confirmed it.

5 minutes ago, The Dead Cow said:

Is it possible at all that the Aussie media just don't know that she's died?

Because she is dead, 100%, her widow confirmed it.

Doubtful then - they may be more respectful than ours would be and holding out coverage until after a funeral. 

Personally, I'd be surprised if her death gets no coverage at all

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

Doubtful then - they may be more respectful than ours would be and holding out coverage until after a funeral. 

Personally, I'd be surprised if her death gets no coverage at all

Digital version Cas Willow death notice from the Hatches/Matches/Dispatches section of Australian newspaper.

6 minutes ago, msc said:

Digital version Cas Willow death notice from the Hatches/Matches/Dispatches section of Australian newspaper.

This difficult case is testing the rules to destruction but let's be clear - the obit rule specifies a "news" report (i.e. it's a story). This obit is in the right place because it's a reputable paper - but it's a paid for announcement and therefore NOT a news report; and doesn't bring down the points deluge just yet. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Grim Up North said:

Wait a minute, what's this? Is Cas Willow dead?

Aw man - get yourself along to the next DLCon; I'm lovin' your northern humour. 

Notable fact in the notice linked earlier is the 9th Jan funeral. I'm thinking if the press want an easy story and to look respectful they mention that. Then again a deluge of big deaths ahead of that might end the Deathrace before anyone gets the chance in a week or so to count their Willow points. 

Incidentally, any search of that name + death throws this thread up - expect ranter fire imminently. 

That death notice though   smilie_krank_128.gif

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

That death notice though   smilie_krank_128.gif

If I die, and Mrs Msc's newspaper notice refers to me as a "beautiful angel", that'll be Exhibit A for the case that she has actually murdered me!

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

"You've got four words left"

"Hat for sale, £15"

An early post of the year contender - respect Spade

Jeez, I sure am glad I never heard of this Willow bird, can you imagine the kerfuffle if she was on my after-the-deadline team :D

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Lard Bazaar said:

Jeez, I sure am glad I never heard of this Willow bird, can you imagine the kerfuffle if she was on my after-the-deadline team :D

Aye, as of this morning top hits online are her paid obit and this thread

9th Jan funeral - I'm guessing the Melbourne locals, at least, will give that a mention

Rayya Elias dead. This is a People obit right now so there will probably be multiple Brit obits for her in a couple hours. Anyway, if she does get the requisite obit (if People and HuffPost aren't enough right now, anyway),  shes a hit for multiple teams including mine (and a joker on my team!)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FixedBusiness said:

Rayya Elias dead. This is a People obit right now so there will probably be multiple Brit obits for her in a couple hours. Anyway, if she does get the requisite obit (if People and HuffPost aren't enough right now, anyway),  shes a hit for multiple teams including mine (and a joker on my team!)

Scoreboard duly tweaked - lots of evidence of reporting online including stuff that earns the q/o - looks like a 4 Jan death and that's how the points - including Fixed Business's joker - have currently been allocated

Hello, @maryportfuncity, you've actually got me on the scoreboard twice, I should have 727 points instead of 2 360 pointers...

Hey, it'd be only my second lead in 8 years of the competition, the other being the very day I won it, so can't blame a guy for basking in the Indian summer!:D

17 minutes ago, msc said:

Hello, @maryportfuncity, you've actually got me on the scoreboard twice, I should have 727 points instead of 2 360 pointers...

Hey, it'd be only my second lead in 8 years of the competition, the other being the very day I won it, so can't blame a guy for basking in the Indian summer!:D

My bad - and sorted

Of course if the q/o for Ms Willow should ever appear - you're well on the way to 2019 pts

1 minute ago, maryportfuncity said:

My bad - and sorted

Of course if the q/o for Ms Willow should ever appear - you're well on the way to 2019 pts

Thanks!

Just submitted an entry for 2019 and a picks already died.

4 minutes ago, Deathray said:

Just submitted an entry for 2019 and a picks already died.

Obviously, I don't want to share the secrets here but...

I'll be amazed if half that team make the start line

11 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Obviously, I don't want to share the secrets here but...

I'll be amazed if half that team make the start line

No secrets here. Scrambled the really shameless ones.

Main Team

1. R@yya Elli@s
  2. Leah Bracknell
  3. Mark E Smith
  4. Linda Nolan
  5. Stuart Carrington
  6. Ronnie Wood
  7. Stefan Karl Stefanson
  8. June Brown
  9. S@r@ Ch1v3rs
  10. Clive James
  11. John McCain
  12. Neil Simon
  13. George Bush Sr
  14. Eileen Derbyshire
  15. Mary Carlisle
  16. David Attenborough
  17. Joni Mitchell
  18. Vera Lynn
  19. William Roache
  20. Prince Philip

Substitutes

1. Queen Elizabeth II
  2. Eileen Derbyshire
  3. Alberto Fujimori
  4. G@v1n B@1L3y
  5. Clint Eastwood
  6. Roberta McCain
  7. T0m Curr@n (right to die campaigner not the cricketer)
  8. P3t3r Cr0ss (terminally ill bloke)
  9. D@wn W1ls0n (terminally ill woman)
  10. M@r1@ P0w311 (terminally ill woman)