maryportfuncity

Deathrace 2018

1 minute ago, Phantom of the Midway said:

Congrats msc! :party:

As always, I end with only around 700 points and 2 hits. And as always, my joker survived. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, joint 3rd...

• Like 1

Congratuwelldone msc! Very impressive :champagne:

I also did brilliantly.

• Like 1

Congratulations!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Jessica Falkholt has died. Congratulations msc on your win. :party:

Aye, major congrats are due and the scoreboard will be tweaked (17 Jan death local time according to that report) once I've wandered down and bought my morning coffee. 

That'll also save me scouring online editions of papers in Hythe and Aberdeen in search of Ducat obits. 

• Like 2

Well done msc - 17 days is mighty impressive :bow: - only 11 people made the List of the Lost and you had 5 of them so you got nearly half of The Reaper's score!

Although you didn't know it you were more than halfway there before the game even started.

Good second place for The Dead Cow too - one death away from winning.

• Like 1

Congrats msc but once again had no time to get into this competition this year.

I liked the time it dragged on into summer.

I managed to get some hits that year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maryportfuncity said:

That'll also save me scouring online editions of papers in Hythe and Aberdeen in search of Ducat obits. 

If you are still looking (not a QO by the way).

Her funeral takes place in Saltwood, Hythe on 19th January.

I....err.... blimey! Didn't see that one coming, tbh.

I'll naturally continue the Deathrace tradition of charitable donation, and am consulting with Mrs msc over which of her favourite charities should be considered.  Only fair given two of my picks were her own suggestion!

Two of the picks that died or is she as rubbish as the rest of us?

Congrats msc, bleeding quick win. Seems like the days of this not finishing at all are long long gone.

• Like 1

Is this the first year where only two people broke the thousand point boundaries with a winner? That’s true domination right there imo...

Congratulations msc!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, msc said:

I....err.... blimey! Didn't see that one coming, tbh.

I'll naturally continue the Deathrace tradition of charitable donation, and am consulting with Mrs msc over which of her favourite charities should be considered.  Only fair given two of my picks were her own suggestion!

You should get your wife to set up an account, she seems gifted at this game.

3 minutes ago, Deathray said:

You should get your wife to set up an account, she seems gifted at this game.

:D She's not that keen on deadpooling, more of a casual "taking the piss out of how bad I tend to do at it" interest*. And she occasionally suggests picks (Falkholt for example) before the forum brings them up, but she got asked to join the uni one, she had an invite to play the Westminster/Holyrood one, and I have suggested a "combined theme team", but she's not interested, and fair's play.

*For example, now and again she'll go "Oh, (famous person here) has died, were they on your list?", I'd say no, and she'd reply akin to the snooker commentators on Mitchell and Webb: "oh, and that's a bad miss!" Anyhow, in 2017, after a few of these, she said with a sN-word: "Have you actually had any successes in that game this year?" :o:lol:

• Like 2

On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 15:46, maryportfuncity said:

Deathrace Form Guide #36

Peter_Wyngarde_Allan_Warren.jpg

Peter Wyngarde

DDP dispute in the making (since a range of biographies locate his birth year from 1924 to 1933). Either way, the aged thesp has had his fair share of Q/O making highs (like the heart-throb role of stylish detective Jason King that saw the image above become spread and self-satisfy fodder for a generation of British housewives). The wheels - and lust of many women - came off his career in the mid-seventies when tabloid coverage of what the Wikipedia now refers to as "an act of gross indecency" made it clear Wyngarde's tastes might not reciprocate those of his most ardent admirers (who had only months to wait for Martin Shaw to turn them on again - but we digress). Wyngarde himself claims not to know his date of birth and also made clear in an interview damn near a quarter of century ago that problems with alcohol made him amazed he'd lived as long as he had. That comment was years ago and he might at least content himself that public understanding of alcoholism has moved on, so too our tolerence for the urges that drove him to fall foul of the rozzers when in action with a rent boy (in the bogs at Gloucester Bus Station FFS!), but we digress again. As of today I'll out the man for continuing to live and having a life so colourful doubtless the highly memorable Telegraph obit is already written. 

I telt yers!

Obit: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2018/01/18/peter-wyngarde-jason-king-star-austin-powers-inspiration-dies/

Was scheduled to do some filming in Hastings today and that didn't go according to schedule. If it had I'd be blogging a picture of a tenner and a donation box at their lifeboat station here. That said - MSC requested that charity be the recipients of his prize and the following is from an email received a few minutes back:

Thank you for donating £10.00 to the RNLI - it's good to have you with us.

Because of you, the 23 people we rescue each day get to go home to their families. Your donation puts you right at the heart of our lifesaving work and will ensure we're always there.

So once again, on behalf of all our lifeboat crew and lifeguards who risk their lives to save others – thank you.

• Like 9

Thanks, MPFC!

Does the first post need to be updated now to show the 2018 winner? 

22 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Does the first post need to be updated now to show the 2018 winner? 

Aye, I suppose so though I usually only add the avatar once the next DR is underway

On 1/20/2018 at 19:56, maryportfuncity said:

Aye, I suppose so though I usually only add the avatar once the next DR is underway

I wasn't expecting to see it there, but it is nice to be official! :D

Right, as what shall surely be one of the last posts here, stunned to see my team has only 13 survivors after 22 days. Will be curious to see how many of the Pan Breed 2018 Deathrace team are still possible for contention in 2019: Latham Grant, Greg Gilbert, Stefan Karl Stefansson, David Cervinski, Peter Overton, Vanessa Goodwin, Kevin McAllister, Leah Brackers Bracknell, Mike Pintek, Bernie DeKoven, Satoru Anzaki, Philomena Lynott and Charlotte Rae.

5 hours ago, msc said:

I wasn't expecting to see it there, but it is nice to be official! :D

Right, as what shall surely be one of the last posts here, stunned to see my team has only 13 survivors after 22 days. Will be curious to see how many of the Pan Breed 2018 Deathrace team are still possible for contention in 2019: Latham Grant, Greg Gilbert, Stefan Karl Stefansson, David Cervinski, Peter Overton, Vanessa Goodwin, Kevin McAllister, Leah Brackers Bracknell, Mike Pintek, Bernie DeKoven, Satoru Anzaki, Philomena Lynott and Charlotte Rae.

Indeed

All being well we might do a midsummer madness pool - I'm guessing you might have a chance of entering one of them around then.

With the 28 January death of Sara Chivers, I surpass the total of 2018 points. Certainly my fastest time yet. 

But I'm pretty sure many others have also surpassed that total with the carnage of the past week or two.

I think I surpassed it as well if we’re just focusing on death, but one of mine didn’t obit, so I still have to wait before I can truly claim that I surpassed it...

I humbly apologise for being unexpectedly too good/lucky at the game this year for those hits to count. :D

• Thanks 1