Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2018

I think Anzaki is a 95%-List of the Lost-er now.

Shutts... well, Telegraph or bust.

But then, from DI's view it's probably best if all the misfortune of a "deadpooling career" is concentrated in one year, so that the others are untainted.

14 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

I think Anzaki is a 95%-List of the Lost-er now.

Shutts... well, Telegraph or bust.

But then, from DI's view it's probably best if all the misfortune of a "deadpooling career" is concentrated in one year, so that the others are untainted.

Yeah, Anzaki and Toothill have really blown my QO strategy out of the water. Would have been better going for cancer mums than former CEOS, or even Nobel Prize winners apparently...

Brokenshire took about three weeks from death to Telegraph obit. I'd guess if Shutts gets an obit, he'll get one before the time of his funeral at the end of the month.

And yet even if he doesn't obit, while that'd be quite a bit of bad luck, I could still very well make a top 20 finish just via the obvious "canon" names that every contender picks.

I’ll admit that Anzaki not obiting is one of the biggest disappointments in not obiting along with Cynthia Heimel. As a matter of fact, there’s a ton of people who I think should’ve obited but didn’t in the end...

1 minute ago, Joey Russ said:

I’ll admit that Anzaki not obiting is one of the biggest disappointments in not obiting along with Cynthia Heimel. As a matter of fact, there’s a ton of people who I think should’ve obited but didn’t in the end...

David Fisher

There's always the stunning "Who Died In..." lists at the end of the year.

Round Up #12 (How Many More Hospitalisations George HW Bush? Special)

Robert Mandan: Awaiting Obit.

Frank Carlucci: Mail Obit: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-5805327/Frank-Carlucci-dies-87-diplomat-Pentagon-chief.html

Georg von Tiesenhusen: Telegraph Obit: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2018/06/05/georg-von-tiesenhausen-rocket-scientist-obituary/

Dwight Clark: Mirror Obit: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/us-news/dwight-clark-dead-61-san-12647635

Paul D Boyer: Telegraph Obit: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2018/06/14/paul-boyer-nobel-chemistry-laureate-obituary/

Jalal Nuriddin: Guardian Obit: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/06/jalal-mansur-nuriddin-last-poets-obituary-grandfather-of-rap

Glynn Edwards: Telegraph Obit: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2018/06/05/glynn-edwards-played-dave-barman-minder-obituary/

Jerry Maren: Express Obit: https://www.express.co.uk/celebrity-news/970186/Jerry-Maren-dead-Wizard-Of-Oz-cause-of-death-munchkin-age-news-latest-pictures

Malcolm Morley: BBC Obit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44371397

Mary Wilson, Baroness Wilson of Rievaulx: Times Obit: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/lady-wilson-of-rievaulx-obituary-pb2wbzwpf

Red Schoendienst: Mail Obit: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5815009/Schoendienst-dies-95-oldest-living-Hall-Famer.html

Teddy Johnson: Guardian Obit: https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/jun/10/teddy-johnson-obituary

David Douglas Duncan: ITV Obit: http://www.itv.com/news/2018-06-08/second-world-war-photographer-david-douglas-duncan-dies-aged-102/

Eunice Gayson: Mirror Obit: https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/eunice-gayson-dead-first-ever-12672127

DJ Fontana: Star Obit: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/showbiz-tv/music/709592/dj-fontana-dead-elvis-legendary-drummer-died-at-87

Reinhard Hardegen: Awaiting Obit.

Jens C. Skou: Telegraph Obit (mention): https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2018/06/14/paul-boyer-nobel-chemistry-laureate-obituary/

Yvonne Gilan: Awaiting Obit.

Matt "Guitar" Murphy: Sun Obit: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/6546510/matt-guitar-murphy-dead-blues-brother/

As I mentioned in the thread for Marieke Vervoort, I did wonder that if she doesn't die this like many of us expected to, is there a way for those of us who jokered her to possibly win it? I think I found some ways that people could potentially win it without her. First, here's the scoreline for 15/16 teams (one would require a bunch of gambles to work to be a contender imo) I made for predictions for if we assume that she doesn't die with having my other assumptions remain the same (minus Satoru Anzaki, who I don't think will obit at this point):

Spoiler
  1. Pity Da Foolz - 167
  2. Deceased Hose - 156
  3. Ethnic Cleansing - 154
  4. Drollercoaster - 153
  5. This Mortal Coil - 152
  6. Day In The Death - 148
  7. The Living End - 144
  8. Carkers Convention - 144
  9. Pan Breed - 140
  10. To Kill A Gabor Sister - 137
  11. Bucket of Blood - 136
  12. Still Life - 134
  13. Poochie Died Back On The Way Back To His Home Planet - 134
  14. The Love Boat - 132
  15. Thomas Jefferson Survives - 132

I then did some other team analysis to show what might be the most practical route for any of these teams to win (though some routes are more likely than others imo). Almost all picks were fair game, though there were a few picks such as Colin Butts and Matt Cappotelli that I assume will die and obit regardless of these scenarios:

Spoiler
  • Pity Da Foolz just needs to have the hits with my original prediction (Bain, Brackers, Butts, Cappotelli, Cryne, Elias, Falkholt, Goodwin, McCain, Miller, Nevin, Ricketts, Stefansson (joker), and Stiles) and every other predicted hit with everyone else besides Vervoort to win this. I’d say that Ricketts and Stefansson are particularly crucial for him to win, since one is his joker and the other is a will he/won’t he see 2019 pick. If there’s one hit that may have to survive in order for this to be likely, it’s Fernando Ricksen. Maybe Greg Gilbert, but I think there’s a good chance of the latter seeing 2019. But then, if two of the likes of Hamilton/Frates/Lima/Willesee dies this year, then this team will be unstoppable if Vervoort survives imo.
  • Deceased Hose - Gilbert/Lima/Ricketts/Ricksen dies, Frates/Stiles/Tapie survives, Cocks survives or doesn’t obit
  • Ethnic Cleansing - Brackers joker dies, Clegg/Gilbert/James/Lima/Ricketts die, Frates/Jose/Ricksen survives, Cocks survives or doesn’t obit
  • Drollercoaster - Gilbert/Lima and two of Clegg/Heine/Jose/Tapie dies, James/Ricketts/Ricksen/Stefansson/Stiles survives, Cocks survives or doesn’t obit
  • This Mortal Coil - Gilbert joker dies, Heine/James/Ricketts/Ricksen/Tapie dies, Lima survives, Cocks survives or doesn’t obit
  • Day In The Death - Gilbert/James/Ricksen dies, Cocks/Fraser dies and obits, Lima/Ricketts/Stiles/Tapie survives
  • The Living End - Clegg/Gilbert/Lewis dies, Bassett/Lajmi dies and obits, Lima/Ricketts/Ricksen/Stiles survives, Cocks survives or doesn’t obit
  • Carkers Convention - Baddiel/Clegg/Herd dies, Gilbert/James/Lima/Ricketts/Ricksen survives
  • Pan Breed - Brackers joker dies, Frates/Gilbert/Lewis/Lima/Lynott dies, Piddington dies and obits, James/Ricketts/Ricksen/Stiles survives
  • To Kill A Gabor Sister - Gilbert joker dies, Kumar/Lima/Lynott/Ricksen dies, Clegg/James/Ricketts survives
  • Bucket of Blood - Kumar/Lima/Ricksen dies, Gilbert/James/Ricketts/Stefansson survives
  • Still Life - Gilbert/James/Ricksen/Tapie/Willesee dies, Cocks dies and obits, Lima/Ricketts/Stefansson
  • Poochie - Casper/Gilbert/Heine/Lima dies, James/Ricketts/Ricksen survives
  • Love Boat - Lima/Maroney/Redstone/Ricksen/Truong/Timerman dies, Gilbert/James/Ricketts/Stefansson survives
  • Thomas Jefferson Survives - Shutts obits (I think he still has a chance), Clegg/Gilbert dies, Barry dies and obits, James/Jose/Lima/Ricksen/Ricketts/Tapie survives

Maybe I'm overanalyzing a bit, but I mainly did this to show you that Marieke Vervoort may not be as crucial as you think she is. So don't give up hope if you think you're out of the running because she's not going to die this year...

• Like 2

@Spade_Cooley When I look at the T page (I was trying to look at Toothill in particular today), it would only allow me to go as far down as Taviani. Guessing it’s a similar issue to when the D page only allowed you to go so fara few weeks back...

Nothing comes up when I click on Theme Team League.  Is it me or is that part of the competition kaput?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, deadsox said:

Nothing comes up when I click on Theme Team League.  Is it me or is that part of the competition kaput?

OK, so the story here is that I put the TTL on the backburner while I was getting the site set up. And by the time I had everything working, and I looked at the databases, I realised that TMIB had sent the 2017 system not the 2018 one. And by that point, TMIB had vanished off the site. 

So... I may need to spend a day or so investigating how to create a new system for it to get it running/generating automatically.

• Like 1

But I do see you've fixed the History section. Did anyone mention that? Good stuff anyhow!

EDIT - Or I thought it had - 2017 links to 2016. March and April up there though!

4 minutes ago, msc said:

But I do see you've fixed the History section. Did anyone mention that? Good stuff anyhow!

He kind of did. February’s page leads to a bit of a scrambled first March update while January leads me to nothing. And the 2017 tab leads to the 2016 page. The May tab is also missing at the moment, though I assume he’s working on all of it. 

I have to laugh at the first sentence of the most recent update now:

Are things slowing down on the DDP?

Three days later, there's been 8 new hits since then. :D 

8 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

OK, so the story here is that I put the TTL on the backburner while I was getting the site set up. And by the time I had everything working, and I looked at the databases, I realised that TMIB had sent the 2017 system not the 2018 one. And by that point, TMIB had vanished off the site. 

So... I may need to spend a day or so investigating how to create a new system for it to get it running/generating automatically.

giphy.gif

9 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I have to laugh at the first sentence of the most recent update now:

Three days later, there's been 8 new hits since then. :D 

Nine, DailyMail obitted Red Schoendienst. Another weekend at the lappy.

• Like 1

Missed this at the end of January, but cancer mum Sara Chivers was Drunkasaskunk's 100th DDP hit, making him only the third team to achieve that milestone. Deceased Hose look next in line, currently sitting on 97.

• Like 5

Whilst distinctly less impressive, Liam Miller was apparently my 50th DDP hit, and am now at 53.  DI is of course around 65-70 range and has played one year less...  A quick tot up of her scores has Toast on 72*, so likely to join the All Time list by end of the year.

*Because she's a long standing player and still playing, but wasn't on the Stats list.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really?  :)  That's more than I realised.  I've been playing for about ten years, but only scored two in my debut year if memory serves.

Wait though - I have had one change of team name, so it may not count?

14 minutes ago, Toast said:

Really?  :)  That's more than I realised.  I've been playing for about ten years, but only scored two in my debut year if memory serves.

You did. But then you got 12 in 2017! Full list below...

Toast’s Hit List

1.       Hugh Lloyd

2.       Sydney Pollack

3.       Farrah Fawcett

4.       Sir Dai Llewellyn

5.       Patrick McGoohan

6.       John Mortimer

7.       Wendy Richard

8.       Sir Bobby Robson

9.       Mollie Sugden

10.   Patrick Swayze

11.   Winston Churcill

12.   Ronnie Dio

13.   Laurent Fignn

14.   Dick Francis

15.   Rose Gray

16.   Dennis Hopper

17.   Simon MacCorkindale

18.   Zelda Rubinstein

19.   Jeff Conaway

20.   Christopher Hitchens

21.   Mick Karn

22.   Donald Neilsen

23.   Diana Wynne Jones

24.   Al-Megrahi

25.   Max Bygraves

26.   Robin Gibb

27.   Geoffrey Hughes

28.   Etta James

29.   Winnie Johnson

30.   Stefano Borgonovo

31.   Henry Cecil

32.   Hugo Chavez

33.   Roger Ebert

34.   Annette funicello

35.   Nelson Mandela

36.   John Nkom

37.   Bernie Nolan

38.   Reg Presley

39.   Michael Winner

40.   Tony Benn

41.   Sally Farmiloe

42.   Jeremy Thorpe

43.   Jules Bianchi

44.   Colin Bloomfield

45.   Leon Brittan

46.   Sam Simon

47.   Percy Sledge

48.   Caroline Aherne

49.   Muhammad Ali

50.   Rene Angelil

51.   Martin Crowe

52.   Peter Maxwell Davis

53.   Jenny Diski

54.   Peter Esterhazy

55.   Dale Griffin

56.   Eric Lubbock

57.   Howard Marks

58.   Geoffrey Bayldon

59.   Tony Booth

60.   Glen Campbell

61.   Errol Christie

62.   Sara Cowrd

63.   Gord Downie

64.   Bruce Forsyth

65.   King Michael

66.   Peter Sarstedt

67.   Peter Skellern

68.   Joost van der Westhuizen

69.   John Wetton

70.   Rayya Elias

71.   Tessa Jowell

72.   Liam Miller

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, msc said:

You did. But then you got 12 in 2017! Full list below...

Reveal hidden contents

Toast’s Hit List

1.       Hugh Lloyd

2.       Sydney Pollack

3.       Farrah Fawcett

4.       Sir Dai Llewellyn

5.       Patrick McGoohan

6.       John Mortimer

7.       Wendy Richard

8.       Sir Bobby Robson

9.       Mollie Sugden

10.   Patrick Swayze

11.   Winston Churcill

12.   Ronnie Dio

13.   Laurent Fignn

14.   Dick Francis

15.   Rose Gray

16.   Dennis Hopper

17.   Simon MacCorkindale

18.   Zelda Rubinstein

19.   Jeff Conaway

20.   Christopher Hitchens

21.   Mick Karn

22.   Donald Neilsen

23.   Diana Wynne Jones

24.   Al-Megrahi

25.   Max Bygraves

26.   Robin Gibb

27.   Geoffrey Hughes

28.   Etta James

29.   Winnie Johnson

30.   Stefano Borgonovo

31.   Henry Cecil

32.   Hugo Chavez

33.   Roger Ebert

34.   Annette funicello

35.   Nelson Mandela

36.   John Nkom

37.   Bernie Nolan

38.   Reg Presley

39.   Michael Winner

40.   Tony Benn

41.   Sally Farmiloe

42.   Jeremy Thorpe

43.   Jules Bianchi

44.   Colin Bloomfield

45.   Leon Brittan

46.   Sam Simon

47.   Percy Sledge

48.   Caroline Aherne

49.   Muhammad Ali

50.   Rene Angelil

51.   Martin Crowe

52.   Peter Maxwell Davis

53.   Jenny Diski

54.   Peter Esterhazy

55.   Dale Griffin

56.   Eric Lubbock

57.   Howard Marks

58.   Geoffrey Bayldon

59.   Tony Booth

60.   Glen Campbell

61.   Errol Christie

62.   Sara Cowrd

63.   Gord Downie

64.   Bruce Forsyth

65.   King Michael

66.   Peter Sarstedt

67.   Peter Skellern

68.   Joost van der Westhuizen

69.   John Wetton

70.   Rayya Elias

71.   Tessa Jowell

72.   Liam Miller

I take pride that they are all genuinely well-known people, although a few may be slightly niche.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Toast said:

Wait though - I have had one change of team name, so it may not count?

Banshees went through umpteen team name changes while a DDP competitor, and he's still on the all-time lists (under his last team name, New Years And Drinks All Night!).

• Thanks 1