Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2018

It's been a while, but here's an update. Bells and whistles (lists of lost, missed, news, theme team league) to be sorted out tomorrow.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

" Who doesn’t love Leeds United? Other than Brian Clough, Asian students, and literally everyone else on the planet. "

:clap::lol:

In fairness to Carrington, he did actually warn Thatcher about the Falklands, but she ignored it. War comes, he resigns, she gets re-elected. Jammy bloody sod.

Hey, as long as Northampton has Clarence the Dragon and Buddies, we'll be fine.

DQ8LW2aW4AED2t0.jpg

imagebuddies-northampton-iage2.jpg

• Haha 1

With 5 months left in the DDP, I think I’m finally am going guess on who I think is going to win the DDP this year, and I believe that it will be Ethnic Cleansing. Let’s have a look at his team. For one thing, he picked Leah Bracknell as his joker, and when she inevitably goes this year (she’s been completely silent since July 1st on all forms of communication), that’ll put them one point above me. While that might not seem much, he also has 3 picks that has potential to push them up much higher: Devin Lima, Simon Ricketts, and Nobby Stiles. Even one of them would push him up at least 11 points ahead of me, but I think I could see 2 or even all three of them going this year. Clegg is a gamble, but I could see him dying this year by canceling his final concert. 

As for me, I share Leah Bracknell, Greg Gilbert, Clive James, John McCain, and Linda Nolan with him (although I only think Bracknell and McCain will die this year), and as I said before, Bracknell would actually put them one point ahead for me, which leaves only 5 people that could push me ahead of him. I think I massively overestimated the obit chances of John Cocksy Cocks. He only got one Mail article on him after he was diagnosed with cancer, and that was largely focused on the wedding he was going to have. At a minimum, he’s going to live about 17 months after the article, and he’s likely going to live at least a few months more as I think he’s still doing immunotherapy. As for the other differentials on my squad, I’m pretty sure that Stuart Fraser will get the obit, but I have absolutely no idea on what his health is like right now. He could be on his way out or he could turn out to be better like Ian St John. Ricksen and Stefansson feels like 2019 deaths at this point and Vervoort, well, while a natural death is still plausible, I’m not getting my hopes up too much. 

Buckets of Blood has multiple people that I don’t think will die this year as they picked a fraudster (Ami Brown), gambled on unsuccessful unnatural points (Vervoort), but he also picked some oldies who I think will still hang on for a while like Dilip Kumar and Charlotte Rae and he picked a big drama queen as well (Jose Jose). 

Then there’s Thomas Jefferson Survives, who’s two nonobits will probably cost him the title, and while he does shares Stiles and Clegg with them, he doesn’t have Simon Ricketts or Devin Lima, and his other differentials don’t really look that strong at this point. 

So yeah, I think that Ethnic Cleansing will most likely win the DDP this year. The only way I think that they would lose is if Vervoort does goes naturally, but I’m not really holding my breath on that at this point...

• Like 1

I'm sure this has already been answered before, but what are the criteria short of being murdered, committing suicide or dying in a car crash constitutes as "unnatural causes"?

2 minutes ago, Phantom said:

I'm sure this has already been answered before, but what are the criteria short of being murdered, committing suicide or dying in a car crash constitutes as "unnatural causes"?

If you’re talking about Art Bell’s drug overdose, pretty sure that counts for unnatural bonus points...

3 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

If you’re talking about Art Bell’s drug overdose, pretty sure that counts for unnatural bonus points...

I was just asking in general. I'm sure this discussion has cropped up many times and I think I suggested that if you're a rapper and you get shot, then it's more of an occupational hazard rather than unnatural causes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

I think we need to examine and discuss what is meant by 'natural' in the term 'unnatural', as every time it is brought up I oppose it's usage to the fullest extent.
Is the idea that the death itself has to be 'natural' as in organ failure leading to a cessation of heart and brain function?  So then only old age and a heart attack qualify (throw in a few other medical presentations).
This interpretation I am at total odds with.
Or is the idea that the death is not a 'natural' result of something occurring to the person.  THIS interpretation is the one I champion.  
Art Bell overdosed on pain meds.  If one takes too many prescription meds, to the level of ODing and potentially death, and death occurs, it is  a completely NATURAL result of taking the pain meds to the extent ingested.  It is in no way UNNATURAL.

A pedestrian doesn't expect to die crossing the street, and if they do get struck and killed, that is a totally UNNATURAL result of perambulating a crosswalk.

**descends soap box**
SC

Was the I-news (which I'd never heard of before this year tbh) taken off the DDP QO list quietly? Sure it was there a few months ago, but is gone now.

40 minutes ago, msc said:

Was the I-news (which I'd never heard of before this year tbh) taken off the DDP QO list quietly? Sure it was there a few months ago, but is gone now.

That might be an administrative error. Technically it counts because the i is available across the country. 

With Charlotte Rae dead, that’s my time in the lead gone. Frankly I’m amazed that I’ve lasted as long at the top as I did tbh, I’ve felt for a while that I’ve lacked good remaining differentials to keep the lead by the end of 2018. Oh well, I’m pleased that it lasted as long as it did...

Ive been away for a while. Who are the next most likely ripe apples? Vervoort? McCain? Bracknell? Stefansson? Lima? Harper? Ricksen? Byrne? Newton-John? Nolan? James? Stiles? Hume? Fujimori? Jose Jose?

2 minutes ago, Eesti said:

Ive been away for a while. Who are the next most likely ripe apples? Vervoort? McCain? Bracknell? Stefansson? Lima? Harper? Ricksen? Byrne? Newton-John? Nolan? James? Stiles? Hume? Fujimori? Jose Jose?

I think Peter Falk is suffering from Alzheimer’s disease. Not sure though...

• Like 1

Just now, Joey Russ said:

I think Peter Falk is suffering from Alzheimer’s disease. Not sure though...

Funny. I read something similar somewhere. Can't remember where thou...

Out of these people I have heard literally nothing about Devin Lima, Clive James, Nobby Stiles and José José in the past months. 

Christ this thread makes me want to go to Buddies for the first time in about eight years. 

Just a quick question, do you have any idea when we will be able to read past updates from 2017 to February 2018? I’m just asking because I’m wanting to read them again, but you can take as long as you need...

On 08/08/2018 at 17:44, Spade_Cooley said:

Christ this thread makes me want to go to Buddies for the first time in about eight years. 

What place is Buddies and why you wanna go there?

On 09/08/2018 at 22:30, Eesti said:

What place is Buddies and why you wanna go there?

Northampton (and surrounding areas) chain of 80s-style American diner restaurants.