Spade_Cooley

Derby Dead Pool 2018

I wonder why Sir Creep keeps picking the twins in the first place?

1 hour ago, Joey Russ said:

I wonder why Sir Creep keeps picking the twins in the first place?

Because they are the ultimate outliers.  They are the Jeanne Calment(s) of the conjoined world!  Every day -- every breath -- is record-breaking.  
Sir Creep is more concerned about why he keeps picking those who don't obit.  That has to end somehow, but it's all in efforting separation from the pack.  That unique hit could be the key.  Oh well :(

With conjoined twins, it might be possible for one conjoined twin to survive, if the other were to be surgically removed after death. That probably depends on how conjoined they are though. Separation surgeries are usually complex and take a long time - the remaining twin would probably be dead from infection before they had time to separate them. Twins that can be easily separated (only slightly joined) were probably already separated as babies.

Sir Creep's twins share a set of organs, so I doubt they'd have time to do the delicate surgery. I'm not a doctor though.

I've just noticed that two teams have the Dalai Lama. If he dies, does it count?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, CharonsCrew said:

I've just noticed that two teams have the Dalai Lama. If he dies, does it count?

200w.gif

• Haha 1

Just to make sure I haven't missed anyone since the last update before I do the next one....

Ronnie Taylor

Chas Hodges

Denis Norden

David DiChiera

Dudley Sutton

Kulsoom Nawaz Sharif

Fenella Fielding

With Bunny Carr LOTLing, right?

• Like 1

On 20/01/2018 at 21:12, DevonDeathTrip said:

A lot of pressure on my two unique picks, Gerard Basset and Kalpana Lajmi, to score for the team this year.  Basset was the wildcard - I just thought the team needed a sommelier - so I'm pinning most of my hopes on Lajmi, as well as hoping the Guardian take an interest in deceased low budget, feminist Bollywood directors.

Sorry to see long term veterans Ali, Banshees and OoO bow out.  Hopefully at least one of them will be back in the future. Thanks to @Spade_Cooleyfor the hard work and a special thank you to @themaninblack for your years of toil.

Lajmi dead at 64.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, drol said:

Lajmi dead at 64.

I see she's getting lots of obit action in India, but nothing here yet.  I did think my run of unique picks was over, so would be really pleased if a QO source gave her a write up.   Alas, I fear the now ineligible Independent are probably most likely to do the honours.   We shall see.

^ Holding off congrates till any QO shows up.

• Like 1

Oh hell, it's a great pick DDT.  :skill2:  :salute:  Speaking as the captain of Lost picks, I hope you get your QO.  I'll keep an eye.
SC

• Like 1

Wishing you luck with the QO, DDT. The unique streak hitting a 10th year would be a helluva accomplishment if she gets her due somewhere.

• Like 1

Basset won a prize in Italy, but I did not understand if he attended the ceremony. Anyway articles say nothing about his illness, but I think he's still holding his own.

27 minutes ago, drol said:

Basset won a prize in Italy, but I did not understand if he attended the ceremony. Anyway articles say nothing about his illness, but I think he's still holdig his own.

I think he’s basically recovered from his illness iirc.

I'm vaguely friends with a vague friend of his, from what I can understand via social media stalking he ain't dying any time soon.

54 minutes ago, DevonDeathTrip said:

The Hindi section of the BBC site has covered Kalpana Lajmi's death.  

https://www.bbc.com/hindi/entertainment-45617155

Not much else so far, but I live in hope...

hoping that we move this group to India?  ;)

If I'm correct, it's been a month since we had a joker hit in the DDP (McCain).

• Like 1

Small thing. Is the Theme Team league not connected to the other scores in some way? I only ask as I notice that BBC Heaven are down for 31 points on the main scoreboard, but only 22 on the Theme Team league. I'm guessing the difference between the two is John Cunliffe, but the Theme Team league has been updated since his death.

1 minute ago, Heef said:

Small thing. Is the Theme Team league not connected to the other scores in some way? I only ask as I notice that BBC Heaven are down for 31 points on the main scoreboard, but only 22 on the Theme Team league. I'm guessing the difference between the two is John Cunliffe, but the Theme Team league has been updated since his death.

The scores should be the same at the end of the year. I’d guess that the theme team league doesn’t get updated as often as the main scoreboard, which is probably why the scores for the two are different. 

Theme team table doesn't update automatically and requires about 15 minutes extra work, which is why I only do it once a month or so. It's something I'm hoping to sort out with the upcoming redesign, although whether that's this year or next idk.

OK so I just caught up with this, so expect the full brunt of my anger at people who have zero common sense.  Is it too much to expect simple common sense?

How in the hell did William Dunlop, a motocross racer, receive bonus points for an 'unnatural death' when he crashed at a motocross event?  I want that stupidity to sink in.
SC

Speaking of TTL, just checked the table and noticed my space theme is on 0 points there despite having had a few hits.