Angels with Dirty Faces

The Big Sleep

Casablanca

On 26/08/2019 at 00:27, bennib1 said:

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

Angels with Dirty Faces

The Big Sleep

Casablanca

I think all of them except maybe Casablanca have living cast members.

Anyone got time to look through Gene Reynolds' acting credits re this thread?

Because I'm getting on in years....:old::lol:

6 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Anyone got time to look through Gene Reynolds' acting credits re this thread?

Just a random click but it does mean a complete confirmed death sweep for the entire cast (both credited and known extras) of 1936's Thank You, Jeeves!

• Thanks 1

On 06/02/2018 at 13:12, Spade_Cooley said:

Here's one: Lady and the Tramp, 1955. Now, you'd assume skimming the cast list that, with the death of Stan Freberg in 2015, the cast is all gone. However, the "dogs at the pound" were played by the vocal group The Mellomen, who featured, among others, Thurl "Tony the Tiger" Ravenscroft.

Now assuming the Mellomen line-up in the film was the 1955 line-up, we know Max Smith died in 1999 and Ravenscroft in 2005. But Bob Hamlin vanishes after he left the Mellomen, and even the Disney fansites don't have a clue. Anyone got a lead?

Side note: The Mellomen were also the first act to release R&B records under the Columbia imprint, despite former Deathlist favourite Mitch Miller attempting to sabotage the project.

IMDB now has a death listed for Bob Hamlin (2010), so we can add Lady and the Tramp to the list. 

On ‎05‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 02:29, YoungWillz said:

Anyone got time to look through Gene Reynolds Kirk Douglas' acting credits re this thread?

:lol:

A few years later and Caren Marsh Doll is still with us.

Caren Marsh Doll turned 101 on April 6th. Certainly not a big name, but as Dorothy’s dance stand-in in The Wizard of Oz, not every single cast member for the film is dead. It may sound dumb to say this from a photo 6 years ago, but, I don’t think this will be her last birthday.

everyone in the 1960 magnificent seven is dead except danny bravo, who played one of the boys with o'reilly (i couldnt find any info on mario navarro)

With Irm Hermann's death, Fox and His Friends is down to only two living cast members,  Ingrid Caven and Harry Baer 

On 02/05/2019 at 17:29, Joey Russ said:

I discovered that the film Yellow Submarine is closer to all to its cast dying than I thought. Besides Paul and Ringo (who only appeared in live action at the end of the film), there’s two actors who deaths aren’t noted. One of them, Paul Angelis, is definitely still alive. The other, Peter Batten, is probably another one of those cases where we’ll never truly know if they had died or not due to him not being heard of again after he was arrested for desertion during the films production...

With Paul Angelis apparently dying all the back in 2009, I think that’s as close to saying the cast of Yellow Submarine is dead as we can be unless someone can find info on Peter Batten...

More of the main cast of patch adams (1998) is dead than alive which is surprising for a movie only 22 years old. A good chunk of the living main cast are in their 70s now aswell. The youngest of the main cast is Daniel London and Monica potter both in their late 40s.

Another interesting note I didn't know is that  the sick kids in the movie actually did have cancer. 

On 29/08/2019 at 16:57, Predictor said:

I think all of them except maybe Casablanca have living cast members.

Barrie Chase,  who plays the girl dancing with Dick Shawn's character in It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is still alive according to imdb (born 1933)

37 minutes ago, the_engineer said:

More of the main cast of patch adams (1998) is dead than alive which is surprising for a movie only 22 years old. A good chunk of the living main cast are in their 70s now aswell. The youngest of the main cast is Daniel London and Monica potter both in their late 40s.

Another interesting note I didn't know is that  the sick kids in the movie actually did have cancer. 

Monica Potter does have inflammatory bowel disease but I don't believe that's usually fatal.

On 31/05/2020 at 02:11, Joey Russ said:

With Paul Angelis apparently dying all the back in 2009, I think that’s as close to saying the cast of Yellow Submarine is dead as we can be unless someone can find info on Peter Batten...

Decided to spend some time seeing if we can track Batten down. The British Army of the Rhine doesn't have a record for him online, but then part of me wonders if it was the British Army of the Rhine he was deserting from, or even if he was a deserter at all. IMDB lists one other credit for him: a "documentary short" called Suddenly the Channel Is Half As Wide, a promotional film for the British Hovercraft Corporation. This and more credits are listed by the BFI under the name PD Batten, where you can see he worked almost entirely in naval or naval-affiliated documentaries and promotional footage. There's a photo taken by a PD Batten on the International War Museum's website, from the Korean War, of a naval inspection.  Which makes me wonder if this photo, of a young man called Pete Batten in naval gear taken in 1948, is also our man. That photo was taken in Yeovil, and this obituary for a Margaret Batten - "widow of Peter" - says she lived in Yeovil. How close am I to conclusively proving he's dead?

Updated: Royal Naval Photographers Association newsletter containing an obituary for Peter Batten, says he died 2nd March 2005.

Peter Batten died 2nd March 2005, according to the Probates Search.

Update - where did that edit come from? Hah. Oh well!

Have to wait for Paul and Ringo to go....

Most watched Finnish movie ever, Tuntematon Sotilas (1955) has two alive cast members. Anja Geissbühler will be 83 next february and isn't in a good condition and Taneli Rinne will be 87. Neither one had a big role though.

7 minutes ago, Handrejka said:

All the cast of  Crosstrap, a film thought to be lost but which now gets shown on Talking pictures TV, are dead. 

Crosstrap (1962) - Full Cast & Crew - IMDb 

Music by Steve Race - there's a blast from my youf!

Someone left from Ben-Hur? Not from the main cast, I think.

3 hours ago, drol said:

Someone left from Ben-Hur? Not from the main cast, I think.

Haven’t looked at all the names yet, but at least one uncredited person (Lando Buzzanca) is still alive.

On 05/02/2018 at 17:05, Spade_Cooley said:

We're waiting on George Segal to go before we can cross Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (1966) off the list: the other five castmembers (Taylor, Burton, Sandy Dennis and two extras) are all gone.

I've not seen Heaven Knows Mr Allison (1957)... has anyone watched it? It does only have two actors (Deborah Kerr and Robert Mitchum, both long gone), but apparently the movie ends with a military invasion? Does it count? 

And then, if that doesn't count, does the scene when they walk out of the courtroom right at the end of 12 Angry Men and some other people walk past mean that we're a lot further than one person away from crossing that film off?

Won't have to wait any longer. George Segal dead at 87.

On 05/02/2018 at 17:21, Death Impends said:

Revisiting that old post of Ulitzer's

I believe all of the following are down to a clean sweep now as far as IMDB listed casts go. FWIW Mary Stewart turned out to have died in the 90s and Josephine Joseph now has a 1960s death date on IMDB. Leon Holmes has no death date but the trivia section says he's believed to have died in the 50s.

Ulitzer's post also mentioned Citizen Kane survivors, at a glance two of the names there have no IMDB death date (Frances E. Neal and Edward Ryan) but I recall when Kathryn Trosper died the articles were adamant she was the last survivor of the Kane cast. So another toughie...

Just to clear this one up @Death Impends, posted some evidence that Edward Ryan died in 1998 in the Detective thread yesterday. So Trosper was indeed the last surviving cast member when she died in 2016.

• Like 1

Some interesting mentions:

A Letter for Evie (1946):

This comedy film directed by Jules Dassin (1911-2008) has two alive main actors and both are centenarians. Marsha Hunt (born 1917: 103 years old) is the main actor and Norman Lloyd (born 1914: 106 years old) also has a large role in the movie.

Who is Harry Kellerman and Why Is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me? (1971):

The only main actor alive mentioned on the wikipedia page is the main actor, Dustin Hoffman (born 1937)

Saboteur (1942):

The only alive main actor of this Hitchcock movie is the actor of the villain (Norman Lloyd as Frank Fry) and the villain dies in the movie.

Baby Brother (1927):

Cast member Lincoln Plumer died in 1928, while another cast member Mildred Kornman is still alive as of 2021.

Post-60s movies with dead/one left main casts? Can't name many but here:

Support Your Local Firefighter (1971):

Out of the 17 actors mentioned on the wikipedia page of this western film, only one is possibly alive: Dick Curtis was born in 1928, but not much is mentioned about him on the internet.

Executive Action (1973):

Out of the 5 cast members in this conspiracy thriller film all are dead.

And Then There Were None (1974):

Only cast member alive is Elke Sommer (born 1940)

Swimming to Cambodia (1987):

The only actor of this film, Spalding Gray (1941-2004) is long dead.

Krapp's Last Tape (2007):

Harold Pinter was the only cast member. He died a year after this film was released.