Handrejka

Names we dislike

Noah.  Awful, isn't it?  Sounds like someone belching into a drainpipe.

I breezed through this and neither my first nor middle names are mentioned.

But the fact I use an "eeee" sounding nickname is.

A name I dislike is giving a child a title like, "King"... or like my avatar, although he seemed to suit it.

Craig. It sounds horrible. Three of the most collosal twats I have ever known have been called Craig. Never mind Craigslist, Craig should be ON a list.

10 hours ago, lilham said:

I breezed through this and neither my first nor middle names are mentioned.

But the fact I use an "eeee" sounding nickname is.

Are you looking at the complete list or just the top 100?

Complete lists are on Table 6 of the dataset.

• Like 1

Just had a look through the Top-100s. About 12 names in the girls list I'd happily give to my child. In the boys list? About 2.

37 minutes ago, Master Obit said:

Craig. It sounds horrible. Three of the most collosal twats I have ever known have been called Craig. Never mind Craigslist, Craig should be ON a list.

Are they actually called Krag? The Scottish pronunciation is much better. You roll the R and the "ai" sounds like the letter A. It sounds nice and sharp and not deflated. The majority of Craigs I've met have been solid. Charles/Charlie on the other hand, worstcunts.

8 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Are they actually called Krag? The Scottish pronunciation is much better. You roll the R and the "ai" sounds like the letter A. It sounds nice and sharp and not deflated. The majority of Craigs I've met have been solid. Charles/Charlie on the other hand, worstcunts.

David for me. Rarely met or seen a David I liked.

17 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

The majority of Craigs I've met have been solid. Charles/Charlie on the other hand, worstcunts.

So where does that leave the actor Craig Charles? :evil2:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

If we're talking about names of people who most often turn out to be awful, I don't think I've met a Patrick who isn't a dickhead. Grant, too.

• Haha 1

My current first name is outside the top 100 on that list, while my current middle is in the top 50. I admit, I deliberately picked a first name that was quite common for my birth year, while my middle name was more anything goes, so a bit funny to see it switch around (though the first still appears to be more popular than the second in the US, albeit neither overly high).

• Like 3

Also, I had such a bad experience with Stevens throughout school that on the first day of a new school, when it turned out one of the new classmates was a Steven, my mom joked to me that this was "the good Steven". It turned out he was an even bigger twat than the previous Stevens!

6 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Also, I had such a bad experience with Stevens throughout school that on the first day of a new school, when it turned out one of the new classmates was a Steven, my mom joked to me that this was "the good Steven". It turned out he was an even bigger twat than the previous Stevens!

I note a difference between Stevens and Stephens. The same with Shauns and Seans

12 minutes ago, En Passant said:

So where does that leave the actor Craig Charles? :evil2:

Charles is his surname so it's okay. I can't stand Firstname Middlename. No one thinks your surname's Zoë.

Maybe I am missing something. The last dataset is for 2022 as far as I can see. Where's the link to the most up to date one?

35 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Charles is his surname so it's okay. I can't stand Firstname Middlename. No one thinks your surname's Zoë.

You don't know some of my friends ......:rolleyes::D

Edit: And now whilst I think of it the only Craig I actually know is a player on my pool team. But I forgot that - because - he detests it so much himself that he goes by 'Sally'.

And no, I'm not making this up, it seems to amuse him (and other teams we play when we cheer him on).

9 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Maybe I am missing something. The last dataset is for 2022 as far as I can see. Where's the link to the most up to date one?

2022 has only just been released. 

They used to come out around September/October of the following year so it's late.  We probably won't get 2023 till next year now.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TQR said:

I note a difference between Stevens and Stephens. The same with Shauns and Seans

TBH I think it was mix of Stevens and Stephens I dealt with. But it's better for my sanity I don't dig too deep into school memories :D

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Toast said:

2022 has only just been released. 

They used to come out around September/October of the following year so it's late.  We probably won't get 2023 till next year now.

So there's a handful with my first name - which is actually quite sweet to see.

Surprising names to me - Marley and Atlas.

Does anyone know a Sheilah (or similar spelling) that is under 40? Every Sheila/Sheilah i've met in customer service is middle aged or older.

Something I disagree with in the official stats is counting hyphenated names as single names.  This skews the figures.  The hyphen is a fad, and should be ignored.

For example, there are 56 x Olivia-Rose.   I would count them as Olivia.  Many of the Olivias probably have Rose as a second name. It's the same thing.

I would only count dual names separately if they are spelled as one word, eg Annemarie, Pollyanna

2 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

And some Charleses want to be in the worst cunts (as a tampon).

35 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Does anyone know a Sheilah (or similar spelling) that is under 40? Every Sheila/Sheilah i've met in customer service is middle aged or older.

4 x Sheila.  No Sheilah, I think that's quite a rare spelling.

There was a Shelagh in my class at school - none of those either.

Yes, it will take a couple more generations for Sheila to come back into fashion.

3 hours ago, Toast said:

Are you looking at the complete list or just the top 100?

Complete lists are on Table 6 of the dataset.

Oh I was actually just talking about names people dislike based on the other pages of this thread.

Neither my first nor middle are in the top 100 on the dataset.

The computer I'm using is not letting me download the other datasets to check.

3 hours ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Bradley/Brad for me. It seems every Bradley or Brad I encountered is a cunt in some kind of way. One Bradley in particular I knew in university, who I not so fondly nicknamed "The Tormentor" as that's all he really seemed to do asides from behaving like a total prick. Fucking loathed that man.

3 hours ago, TQR said:

If we're talking about names of people who most often turn out to be awful, I don't think I've met a Patrick who isn't a dickhead. Grant, too.

Most Patricks I know have been ok. 

Zoe is the name I most associate with awful people.  There were about half a dozen of them in my year at school and can't think of anything to nice to say about any of them. Every female Robyn/Robin I have met has been a psycho too though I haven't met that many. 

I had a look at the 2022 list, 45 babies were given my name that year, the same amount as were Ayzel whatever that is. 24 were given my middle name.

Edit - 4 poor baby girls were given the name Sukhman! I'm never going to complain about my name again.

• Like 1