Sign in to follow this  
Slave to the Grave

Hamed Karzai

Over-ruled on security grounds regarding his attempts to get the elections in springtime.

So he's in the firing line until August. I still think he'll survive, but an assassination wouldn't be a total surprise.

One of the main opposition candidates has now pulled out ahead of August, HK appears a shoo-in for another term.

One of the main opposition candidates has now pulled out ahead of August, HK appears a shoo-in for another term.

Are we talking about Jacob Zuma again? :)

Results questionable to say the least, instability rife. One thing keeping HK alive and the assassination attempts to a minimum was the fact few others wanted the job. Much real power in Afghanistan is local so being president isn't always being leader. But the current incendiary situation could yet prompt attempts on his life.

Incidentally, is it just me or does he sport his headwear in a manner suggestion he was a Thunderbirds fan in the past?

Quite surprising how little this thread has been used of late. Especially since lots of talk of late has been a claim of both major sides that each has "won" the most votes. Lots of factions get more than a bit rough and nasty out that way, and I for one can see it ending in tears all round. If things de-stabilise any further then I think Karzai should be in with a shot of entry to next years Deathlist.

Is it just me or is anybody else more than a little pissed off that the poll results of more than 400 places were summarily tossed out because of alleged voting irregularities and corruption. It probably means in those disticts Karzai was failing miserably and the various world leaders (U.S. most notably) can't allow that to happen. In any event, why aren't those places getting a chance at casting new votes and having the whole thing done under a scrutinous eye? And why is the U.S. and other places preaching about Democracy allowing a non-Democracy event-----throwing out ballots-----to take place without even blinking or saying anything about it?

In other news, I like that cap which Karzai wears.

Defending the dodgy election and shortening the odds on another assassination attempt.

Defending the dodgy election and shortening the odds on another assassination attempt.

A)It still strikes me as wrong

B)Assassination attempts are all the rage in Afghanistan it would seem accodring to news reels

C)Aphrodisiacs are rarely as good as they are alleged to be.

D)Our demented leader, Obama is being told that more foot soldiers/ground troops are needed to save the day. Even thoough McChrystal wants them, Obama is wavering [waiting to see what the public thinks].

E)Many Afghanis are now diappointed, disillusioned and disgruntled by the lack of clear and positive change brought by this insane war.

F)Many Afghanis are tired from not getting a full night of sleep in a long while as bombers strafe their villages at all hours, killing mostly civillians, rarely hitting their supposed targets or any of the enemy soldiers.

Other than that, I find Karzai to be incredibly cute.

One candidate left standing in the elections; odds lengthening on assassination IMHO. I'm guessing Karzai will stay in the capital, the war lords will run their own patches and everyone will tolerate each other.

Could easily be wrong, mind.

New book by Watergate scoop journo Bob Woodward concerns itself with 'Obama's Wars' and suggests the US intelligence services have known for some time that Karzai is a manic depressive.

Hadn't considered increased suicide risk as a significant factor in the likely causes of death for HK, until now.

Getting emotional during a speech. Given the recent death of a significant local politician in Afghanistan and Karzai lamenting that the country would have to change before the generation of his four year old son decided to stay in their own country, maybe this isn't evidence for the alleged bi-polar problems.

FFS, can't they even hold a funeral in peace?

On 07/07/2021 at 15:58, arghton said:

https://news.sky.com/story/afghanistan-end-this-failed-mission-says-former-afghan-president-hamid-karzai-as-he-blames-us-and-its-allies-for-rise-in-terrorism-12349017

He's still in Afghanistan in his "heavily-protected" home while Taliban seems to be taking control of the country.

Afghanistan's border guards and soldiers are fleeing to Tajikistan.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/taliban-seize-kandahar-prepare-to-march-on-kabul-11628846975

Taliban preparing to march to Kabul.

thinking about putting him in my AO list for next year in case the Taliban would… you know… kill him ? what do you think of his inclusion in any pool ? 

1 minute ago, Lafaucheuse said:

thinking about putting him in my AO list for next year in case the Taliban would… you know… kill him ? what do you think of his inclusion in any pool ? 

Hmmm thought about this one myself.

The Taliban want to cement their power and tighten their grasp on the country. Though they are killing ordinary civilians who collaborated or helped western forces, I imagine they won't want to rock the boat. There's a huge amount of resentment for the Taliban in the country and taking out a primary opponent whose power is now zilch would be a bit pointless. Plus Karzai is an ally of the western powers. It would be seen as an act of aggression with intimidation as its purpose. Strategically it wouldn't make sense.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Hmmm thought about this one myself.

The Taliban want to cement their power and tighten their grasp on the country. Though they are killing ordinary civilians who collaborated or helped western forces, I imagine they won't want to rock the boat. There's a huge amount of resentment for the Taliban in the country and taking out a primary opponent whose power is now zilch would be a bit pointless. Plus Karzai is an ally of the western powers. It would be seen as an act of aggression with intimidation as its purpose. Strategically it wouldn't make sense.

Yeah you’re probably right. However, is « sense » a word which fits with the talibans’ action ? :rip:

• Thanks 1

He seems to be collaborating with the Taliban currently but wouldn't be suprised if another group or an individual decided to kill him or if he died in some kind of a conflict..

Staying in Afghanistan was a mistake, lots of people and groups out there want him dead. It has happened to President Burhanuddin Rabbani, Prime Ministers Arsala Rahmani Daulat and Abdul Sabur Farid Kohistani, could happen to Karzai too. 

2 minutes ago, arghton said:

He seems to be collaborating with the Taliban currently but wouldn't be suprised if another group or an individual decided to kill him or if he died in some kind of a conflict..

Staying in Afghanistan was a mistake, lots of people and groups out there want him dead. It has happened to President Burhanuddin Rabbani, Prime Ministers Arsala Rahmani Daulat and Abdul Sabur Farid Kohistani, could happen to Karzai too. 

Al Qaida wants him dead for years, there were attacks against him already

Karzai's mother dead at 80.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drol said:

Karzai's mother dead at 80.

I always think of him when I go into a pub for the first time when I say ‘Where’s the Karzai?’.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1