Davey Jones' Locker

Olivia Hussey

Olivia Hussey has revealed she has been in remission from cancer for four years and has used the time to produce an autobiography before it is too late.

She has had a drama-filled life since R and J. Amongst other things, she was planning to move into her pal Sharon Tate's house when Shazza was murdered by Charlie. https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/olivia-hussey-recalls-controversial-romeo-and-juliet-role-at-16-reveals-personal-tragedies

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/aug/01/olivia-hussey-romeo-and-juliet-film-franco-zeffirelli#img-1

EDIT: It was stage 4 breast cancer, diagnosed in 2008, so she has been in remission for ten years now. Not an immediate DL prospect then. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6008257/Olivia-Hussey-reveals-wet-Queen-royal-family.html

• Like 3

I hope she’s got plenty of years left in her. I expect Leonard Whiting may depart before Olivia but who knows. 

Her husband is also David Glen Eisley, the singer who sang the song Sweet Victory on Spongebob.

Just a fun fact....

20 minutes ago, John Robinson said:

Her husband is also David Glen Eisley, the singer who sang the song Sweet Victory on Spongebob.

Just a fun fact....

Another fun fact is that Phil Collins auditioned for the role of Romeo before losing out to Whiting!

https://www.smoothradio.com/features/phil-collins-facts-age-daughter-wife-songs/

1 minute ago, Deathrace said:

Clearly Hussey and Whiting are looking to significantly top up their respective pensions https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64160726

I just read about that.  Bloody ridiculous.  "The suffering they say they have experienced" - my arse. 

Or rather, his arse.

23 minutes ago, Toast said:

I just read about that.  Bloody ridiculous.  "The suffering they say they have experienced" - my arse. 

Or rather, his arse.

They are like a superannuated Boomer version of Harry and Meghan. 

It is funny though how English literature lessons have for decades featured the teacher dragging out a VHS/DVD/streaming copy of a movie that literally features a naked child.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

Clearly Hussey and Whiting are looking to significantly top up their respective pensions https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64160726

It might wipe out their pensions if they aren't careful.

Reminds me of the case of the Nirvana baby.

20 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

It is funny though how English literature lessons have for decades featured the teacher dragging out a VHS/DVD/streaming copy of a movie that literally features a naked child.

Child?  They were 17 and 18. 

18 minutes ago, Toast said:

Child?  They were 17 and 18. 

Filmed in 1967 when she was 15/16 and the issue is they were misled so she didn't know her tits and he didn't know his arse were in the movie until they saw it. Still, one predictable outcome of this might be a renewed interest in the tits and arse scene to the exclusion of the rest. Actually, a really good adaptation, more so because the long speeches are cut to emphasise cinematic stuff like facial reactions and both the young leads act really well. Not that they're thanking the dead director or the studio for the massive boost their careers were given. 

It's interesting they waited until Franco Zeffirelli (who let's not forget lived to be 96) died until launching this legal action. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Deathrace said:

It's interesting they waited until Franco Zeffirelli (who let's not forget lived to be 96) died until launching this legal action. 

Aye, struck me as well. 

Liking your posting name btw, feel free to enter the Deathrace itself if we run it again next year. 

I might contact Paramount with my revolutionary idea to avoid lawsuits by insisting all young actors in explicit sex scenes have body doubles in possession of a legitimate UK bus pass!

• Like 1

No doubt that there's a Saul Goodman-type lawyer not too far away.

43 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

Filmed in 1967 when she was 15/16

Still not a child. Born 17 April 1951 so almost certainly over the age of consent.

Anyway this is pure greed.  It's over 50 years ago so if they had real issues with it they should have brought a case long ago.

• Like 1

Worth saying that in the BBC article it does mention examples where both plaintiffs have defended the film's nude scenes in recent years in interviews. Quite a volte face. Certainly feels like taking advantage of the current zeitgeist for personal gain. But, in all honesty, the first time I'd heard of this film was when I read the article this morning, so I have no dog in this fight, just my own observation.

• Like 1

Re my lawyer comment earlier, his name is Solomon Gresen. Even got the same initials. It's worth noting that he operates on a no-win no-fee basis, so Whiting & Hussey have nothing to lose, and he (Gresen) has potentially a fair bit to gain (the figure quoted is "believed to be in excess of $500 million"). If I had money I'd bet the last of it on it being the lawyerrthat instigated the law suit (See also the Nevermind kid, and quite likely the Tyler woman).

Jimmy Savile and Gary Glitter’s favorite film?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, OneManJury said:

Jimmy Savile and Gary Glitter’s favorite film?

To quote Ser Meryn Trant - "Too old."

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

I think schools use the 1990’s  version a lot now. That’s the one I saw at school anyway.

My partner's an English teacher, and apparently her classes prefer the 60s version... she thought it might be because the Baz L version is unnervingly 90s in its style, but maybe they just like tits.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

My partner's an English teacher, and apparently her classes prefer the 60s version... she thought it might be because the Baz L version is unnervingly 90s in its style, but maybe they just like tits.

Long time since I saw it but those tits are fleeting at best, right? Its main strength as a definitive Shakespeare movie (which the ratings on places like Rotten Tomatoes seem to support) is that it substitutes close ups and reaction shots for hefty chunks of the Bard's original - ermm - script. So, ironically, it's probably truer to his vision of the characters than some other versions precisely because it ditches words in favour of show and tell and - frankly - those two leads are both superb. Hussey snagged a Golden Globe for best newcomer. 

One of the dwindling cast members of Death on the Nile (1978), which was shown yet again at Christmas. Just her, Jane Birkin, Lois Chiles, Mia Farrow and Maggie Smith left.

• Like 1

So, heard a legal expert on The World Tonight discussing the fact that the case as presented by the pair has some strength.That said, Hussey's statements regarding the nudity being part of the role, made as recently as 2018 won't help. And she worked with Zeffirelli again in 1977, ironically playing the Virgin Mary in Jesus of Nazareth, so the defence are likely to ask her why she signed up with the same director a second time. 

• Like 1