I was thinking last night but this is the 3rd time a companion's second adventure has featured them being covered in the bodily fluid of some alien, Rose gets spat on by the Moxx of Balhoon in The End of the World, Amy gets digested and thrown up by the space whale in The Beast Below and now Ruby has had snot splattered onto her head in Space Babies. You could even make a case for it being the fourth time, if you class Mickey as a proper companion as in his second appearance he gets covered in Slitheen guts in that two parter.

• Haha 1

Watched Space Babies this morning.  It felt like a whimsical short story and I am fine with that as long as the meatier stuff is to come. 

The two leads are excellent 

• Like 1

Spoiler

I'll still stick this in a spoiler even though we're 18 hours plus from transmission. Space Babies was an interesting, non-offensive run-of-the-mill story. The CGI of the babies speaking was a little bit clunky but I applaud the effort, it just about worked. Nice solution to the problem and as a first adventure for Ruby it did what it needed to, as well as foreshadowing whatever is coming for her: why does everything revolve around babies with her? And how did her memory affect the real world atmosphere so viscerally?

The Devil's Chord was a superb episode. Maestro was wonderfully malevolent and stole every scene they were in. Love the fact they're almost certain to return again at some point. The repeated musical sequences so far in the New New Who era are taking a bit of getting used to, but they're not unenjoyable. Ruby has all the real world charm needed for a great companion, and they seem like an excellent pairing. First time we've seen Ncuti bring the more serious menacing side to the Doctor and he can definitely do it. Charisma in spades, he's made a great start.

Really looking forward to Boom next week - a one word title and a claustrophobic premise usually means a cracking tale from Moffat, I hope I'm not disappointed.

• Like 2

Spoiler

Given that this was meant to be the introduction of a whole new audience to Doctor Who, I'm not sure that 'Space Babies' was the one they should have led with. Definitely more of a lighter mid-season episode rather than a full-fat intro to the world of Doctor Who. 'Rose' back in 2005 had its moments of whimsy and toilet humour with the burping bins but it did have a truly threatening villain and what felt like a more memorable high stakes plot. The chemistry between Ncuti and Millie is fantastic (it's already like they've known each other for a while), but I kind of have the same problem with Ruby that I had in the Christmas special in that she's a little too... um... 'accepting' of the weirdness going on around her compared with past companions. The arc going on with her character is interesting though. 

Not a musicals fan at all, but at least 'The Devil's Chord' was a million times more entertaining than any episode since Moffat left. Not having the rights to the Beatles music was a shame though. 

Really looking forward to what Moffat serves up in episode three. Matt Smith's era on the show was probably my favourite and I loved all the episodes Moffat did in RTD's first run.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sod's Law said:

I'm going to have unpack this slightly outside the spoilers (surely if you're looking in here now, you've watched them?!).

I agree that Space Babies is quite a low-key entry into the world of Who, but unlike 2005, we dropped 2 episodes back-to-back, and surely people will at least watch both before forming an opinion? And The Devil's Chord is a great episode of Who.

Get what you're saying about Ruby, but maybe the fact she isn't overawed has something to do with her mysterious parentage? Time will tell. But, equally, maybe its the classic companion taking everything in her stride. Didn't she already get over what life with the Doctor is like in the Christmas special? After all, she has made her choice and gone looking for him when we meet again in Episode 1, which is a re-run of the last minutes of the Christmas special.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

I'm going to have unpack this slightly outside the spoilers (surely if you're looking in here now, you've watched them?!).

I agree that Space Babies is quite a low-key entry into the world of Who, but unlike 2005, we dropped 2 episodes back-to-back, and surely people will at least watch both before forming an opinion? And The Devil's Chord is a great episode of Who.

Get what you're saying about Ruby, but maybe the fact she isn't overawed has something to do with her mysterious parentage? Time will tell. But, equally, maybe its the classic companion taking everything in her stride. Didn't she already get over what life with the Doctor is like in the Christmas special? After all, she has made her choice and gone looking for him when we meet again in Episode 1, which is a re-run of the last minutes of the Christmas special.

Agree on Devil's Chord which is why I sort of think it should have been the starting episode (when the Doctor is introducing Ruby to the idea of travelling anywhere in time and space and she picks the Beatles as her first choice). It had more of the kind of energy to it that would draw new viewers in. But I guess that wouldn't fit in with the RTD template of 'future episode first, historical second'. 

My only real niggle with Ruby in the Christmas special was how quickly she seemed to accept 'OK, goblins have stolen my foster sister' right before she was thrust into the heat of things. As I said, I love how she interacts with Ncuti and you're right that more about her will be unveiled as the season goes on, but I think she would have made more sense as a companion who had an Amy Pond kind of backstory with the Doctor (like him visiting her during childhood so she's already acquainted with who he is to some degree). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sod's Law said:

Agree on Devil's Chord which is why I sort of think it should have been the starting episode (when the Doctor is introducing Ruby to the idea of travelling anywhere in time and space and she picks the Beatles as her first choice). It had more of the kind of energy to it that would draw new viewers in. But I guess that wouldn't fit in with the RTD template of 'future episode first, historical second'. 

My only real niggle with Ruby in the Christmas special was how quickly she seemed to accept 'OK, goblins have stolen my foster sister' right before she was thrust into the heat of things. As I said, I love how she interacts with Ncuti and you're right that more about her will be unveiled as the season goes on, but I think she would have made more sense as a companion who had an Amy Pond kind of backstory with the Doctor (like him visiting her during childhood so she's already acquainted with who he is to some degree). 

Well it didn't take Jennifer Connelly long to accept the Goblin King had stolen her brother in Labyrinth and she didn't have the Doctor to help square the circle for her! :lol:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Well it didn't take Kirsten Dunst long to accept the Goblin King had stolen her brother in Labyrinth and she didn't have the Doctor to help square the circle for her! :lol:

Jennifer Connolley was in Labyrinth Kirsten Dunst was only four when it was released

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Jennifer Connolley was in Labyrinth Kirsten Dunst was only four when it was released

Amended, not sure where I pulled Kirsten Dunst from. :huh: Spelt it right too. ;)

• Like 1

Screenshot_20240513-193726_Facebook.thumb.jpg.3866a535cd0358273a3a4ec2ab16b8ed.jpg

This is an amazing fact! Nice on RTD! :clap:

• Like 2

Was going to say I thought the episodes were alright (fluff but harmless) but...

20 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I pulled Kirsten Dunst.

I'm more interested in this shock revelation. :lol:

• Haha 2

Just now, msc said:

I'm more interested in this shock revelation. :lol:

Spiderman Mary Jane GIF - Spiderman Mary Jane Romance GIFs

What can I say...with great power comes great responsibility. :lol:

• Haha 1

I like the new Dr.

I like his sidekick.

I did, however, sit there waiting for the script writers to shoe horn in something political/social so that they could educate working class knuckle draggers like me.

They didn't disappoint, did they.:rolleyes:

I watched episode 3 at midnight and thought it was amazing. Up there with one of Moffat's best written episodes.

9/10.

• Like 5

Best episode I've seen in a very long time. Superb.

• Like 5

I watched it last night to avoid spoilers, absolutely loved it, just watched it again now and it was possibly even better the second time round. Brilliant performances, tremendously beautiful dialogue that I expect from Moffatt and excellent (and very relevant) political commentary. Again continued the intrigue in both Ruby's mystery and Susan Twist's character, who had a surprisingly large role in this episode, and I'm assuming from the next-time trailer we're getting some answers next week on at least one of those. Varada Sethu was great, wonder if it will be that character who will be the new companion or if it will be another Freema Agyeman situation.

• Like 1

My favourite episode this year so far. I could tell this was a Moffat episode even if I'd never seen his name in the credits. Those darker themes and the to-and-fro wisecracking dialogue, and this was also Ncuti's time to shine showing off his 'serious Doctor' side. Felt like one of the greats all round. 

• Like 2

Nobody does bottle episodes like Moffat! Superb. A reminder that the Doctor didn't move for 95% of the episode. Didn't realise Mundy was our new companion, interesting that RTD has let Moffat introduce her, at least this iteration. Also, I've completely missed the Susan Twist connections: who has she played in the other episodes? :sherlock: I'll have to have a rewatch when I get some time...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Nobody does bottle episodes like Moffat! Superb. A reminder that the Doctor didn't move for 95% of the episode. Didn't realise Mundy was our new companion, interesting that RTD has let Moffat introduce her, at least this iteration. Also, I've completely missed the Susan Twist connections: who has she played in the other episodes? :sherlock: I'll have to have a rewatch when I get some time...

She was a tea lady for the Beatles iirc? But genuinely I thought Susan Twist was a character name and it's actually a veteran actress whose been on stage and in soaps!

Quite enjoyed that episode. Excited to discover that next week's episode apparently includes the bloody amazing Sian Philips!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, msc said:

She was a tea lady for the Beatles iirc? But genuinely I thought Susan Twist was a character name and it's actually a veteran actress whose been on stage and in soaps!

Quite enjoyed that episode. Excited to discover that next week's episode apparently includes the bloody amazing Sian Philips!

All scenes she has appeared in:

1. Wild Blue Yonder - Housekeeper for Isaac Newton when Mavity was thought up
  2. Christmas special - Was a hippie who heckles Ruby’s band at King’s Arms
  3. Space Babies - Pre-recorded video as Comms Officer Gina Scalzi, protesting the abandonment of the baby farm.
  4. The Devil’s Chord - Tea Lady
  5. Boom - Plays an AI ambulance
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

All scenes she has appeared in:

1. Wild Blue Yonder - Housekeeper for Isaac Newton when Mavity was thought up
  2. Christmas special - Was a hippie who heckles Ruby’s band at King’s Arms
  3. Space Babies - Pre-recorded video as Comms Officer Gina Scalzi, protesting the abandonment of the baby farm.
  4. The Devil’s Chord - Tea Lady
  5. Boom - Plays an AI ambulance

Jeez, talk about blink and you'll miss it! But we know how RTD likes an easter egg clue trail. #VoteSaxon

• Like 1

I'm still wondering who Anita Dobson is meant to be and if she has a part to play in all of this. I'm guessing the hooded figure at the church would be too obvious a guess though.

14 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

I'm still wondering who Anita Dobson is meant to be and if she has a part to play in all of this. I'm guessing the hooded figure at the church would be too obvious a guess though.

I'm sure we got told she'd reappear at later points. We haven't yet gone back to Ruby's home though, so there's time. So we've got:

1. Who's Mrs Flood?

2. Who's Susan Twist?

3. Who's Ruby's mum?

4. Why does it snow everywhere she goes?

5. What is it about Ruby and babies/children?

Have I missed anything?

1 minute ago, RoverAndOut said:

I'm sure we got told she'd reappear at later points. We haven't yet gone back to Ruby's home though, so there's time. So we've got:

1. Who's Mrs Flood?

2. Who's Susan Twist?

3. Who's Ruby's mum?

4. Why does it snow everywhere she goes?

5. What is it about Ruby and babies/children?

Have I missed anything?

Maybe she started out as a lab experiment herself which is why she has no next of kin, and Twist and Dobson are basically scientists monitoring her in the background. Or her whole life is part of some Truman Show-esque delusion with Twist and Dobson as the director and producer of a TV show about Ruby (her very first appearance in the show is her being filmed for a TV show with Davina McCall, after all). Or it could be both. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Sod's Law said:

Maybe she started out as a lab experiment herself which is why she has no next of kin, and Twist and Dobson are basically scientists monitoring her in the background. Or her whole life is part of some Truman Show-esque delusion with Twist and Dobson as the director and producer of a TV show about Ruby (her very first appearance in the show is her being filmed for a TV show with Davina McCall, after all). Or it could be both. 

Or neither. :lol: