I was wondering if Ruby could be her own mother?

36 minutes ago, BuffaloPhil said:

And, with the greatest of respect, how the fuck would that work?! :huh: Clone?

15 minutes ago, RoverAndOut said:

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.

She has a baby, then goes back in the Tardis and drops it off.

1 hour ago, RoverAndOut said:

Wibbley wobbley timey wimey. Also seems to be alternate timelines going on and things are getting weird with snow.

3 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

I'm sure we got told she'd reappear at later points. We haven't yet gone back to Ruby's home though, so there's time. So we've got:

1. Who's Mrs Flood?

2. Who's Susan Twist?

3. Who's Ruby's mum?

4. Why does it snow everywhere she goes?

5. What is it about Ruby and babies/children?

Have I missed anything?

Various people have said "the one who waits" is coming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloPhil said:

Wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff.

She has a baby, then goes back in the Tardis and drops it off.

29 minutes ago, ladyfiona said:

Wibbley wobbley timey wimey. Also seems to be alternate timelines going on and things are getting weird with snow.

Look, I'm all for wibbley wobbley timey wimey stuff, but it's physically impossible for someone to give birth to themselves, even in a paradoxical sense I'd think. She can't have a baby that is herself. The fact we've got to such absurd suggestions means RTD has done his job, though!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RoverAndOut said:

Look, I'm all for wibbley wobbley timey wimey stuff, but it's physically impossible for someone to give birth to themselves, even in a paradoxical sense I'd think. She can't have a baby that is herself. The fact we've got to such absurd suggestions means RTD has done his job, though!

If you look at previous examples. Amy had a baby conceived in the Time Vortex that became River Song, Ace sent Kathleen to London to 'stay with her gran' not realising that she actually was her gran. 

I don't see from an SF point of view why Ruby can't have a baby and it has to be hidden so it is sent back to The Church on Ruby Road to live her life. 

However, I am hoping that is not the solution but it does not preclude the cloaked figure being Ruby.

42 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

If you look at previous examples. Amy had a baby conceived in the Time Vortex that became River Song, Ace sent Kathleen to London to 'stay with her gran' not realising that she actually was her gran. 

I don't see from an SF point of view why Ruby can't have a baby and it has to be hidden so it is sent back to The Church on Ruby Road to live her life. 

However, I am hoping that is not the solution but it does not preclude the cloaked figure being Ruby.

Those aren't the same scenario as here, though. River Song being Amy's child is perfectly plausible. Ace not realising Kathleen was her gran all along is also not an issue paradoxically.

If I understand you correctly, there is a feasibility that Ruby has a child that is somehow imprinted with her memories, so believes itself to be her in some weird cause-and-effect loop. (I know what I mean but explaining it is almost impossible for me).

If Ruby is the figure and the solution is not something similar to that (poorly) described above, then I'm not sure how she can be both the figure and the baby. But we'll see.

We know the figure has warned the Doctor off pursuing them - here's a curveball, the figure isn't Ruby's mother at all, it's the Doctor.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BuffaloPhil said:

Didn't Futurama sort of do that first?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Sod's Law said:

Didn't Futurama sort of do that first?

Possibly, I know Red Dwarf did (Lister is his own father, creating an infinite time loop so that the human race can never become extinct. Or something equally ridiculous :D)

• Like 2

Yesterday it was announced that the series finale is getting midnight screenings at some (although it seems to be most) cinemas, tickets are now on sale.

https://www.doctorwhoincinemas.co.uk/

I've booked as soon as it went live, normally screenings like this are inaccessible as there is no-where nearby showing them but my local cinema is doing it this time so I pounced on the chance, the only issue is getting back home at half one in the morning.

• Like 1

I am not dedicated enough to Doctor Who to watch a midnight showing in a cinema. Yes if I was able to drive, but I can't and the trains stop at like midnight, lol.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

Yesterday it was announced that the series finale is getting midnight screenings at some (although it seems to be most) cinemas, tickets are now on sale.

https://www.doctorwhoincinemas.co.uk/

I've booked as soon as it went live, normally screenings like this are inaccessible as there is no-where nearby showing them but my local cinema is doing it this time so I pounced on the chance, the only issue is getting back home at half one in the morning.

I'm not paying £20 to fall asleep watching it in a cinema when I can do that quite comfortably at home.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ladyfiona said:

For those who are Susan Twist watchers. She appears in episode 5.

I saw something on Facebook the other day that made me gasp: what was the song at the end of the Beatles episode...? :o;)

Well that episode got a bit Black Mirror and looks like it does next week as well.

I liked it, 8/10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ladyfiona said:

Well that episode got a bit Black Mirror and looks like it does next week as well.

I liked it, 8/10.

Ooh, sounds good. Looking forward to watching it tonight!

Felt very Years & Years to me. Really seemed like they tried to pack as much into 45 minutes as they could, but nonetheless this and Boom are definitely more the type of episodes that I like, a return to form in my opinion. 

• Like 1

I loved that, probably my favourite of the series so far, I agree with what others have said that it feels very Black Mirror or Inside No.9.

Spoiler

From what I'm seeing on my Twitter timeline it seems to be a very love it or hate it episode. I've seen a lot of people saying they didn't like it because it wasn't all explained but that's what I loved about it. We're not meant to know what the woman was saying to people, if she was even speaking at all. The horror comes from what could anyone possibly say to get a mother to do that to her child, or get a Prime Minister to resign, answering what it was grounds it in reality and makes it less scary. The woman being an older version of Ruby worked for me and whilst it could maybe have done with another couple of minutes tacked on at the end, again I don't want an explanation of why or how it happened, throughout the episode we're given different potential reasons from witchcraft or the increase in the supernatural since the salt incident, but again it's the not knowing which makes it scary.

On a separate note Ruby finally recognising Susan Twist's character was a surprise.

• Like 2

Just watched it live. Absolutely brilliant. First time in ages that I've had absolutely no option but to pay 100% attention to an episode of Who, I just couldn't look away. The woman gave me chills throughout. So clever (even though the solution crossed my mind quite early on) but still leads to many more questions in this curious series. Millie Gibson's brilliant. No more for now because...

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I came into this particular episode mostly blind and didn't know it would be the one with the rumoured 'charismatic fascist figure taking over Britain' subplot. I thought that plot would be in next week's episode instead (since it sounds deserving of a full episode all by itself and next week seems to be about the dangers of social media), I agree with the previous poster who said it seemed a little crammed in but I really loved the Inside No. 9 vibes overall.  

• Like 1

I can safely say that was one of my favourite episodes to air in a long time. Definitely better than most of the stuff they lumbered Jodie with (mind, Jodie was brill at what they gave her) and better than everything else thus far in RTD2.

• Like 1

Just watched Dot and Bubble in my lunch hour, mixed thoughts below.

Spoiler

I get what it was going for but it didn't work for me. I thought it was a great allegory for why diversity is needed in media to prevent bigotry but that mostly came in in the final 5 minutes, although I picked up on the fact that the Doctor seemed to be the only person of colour about half-way through and knowing Russell knew it had to be intentional. But it was also at a similar time in the episode I realised I wasn't enjoying it at all. The lack of the Doctor and Ruby for the majority of the episode really damaged it for me because I really really didn't like the central character. From the start I thought she was arrogant and irritating so the 'twist' didn't hit as hard for me. Speaking of twists I don't like how on the nose the Susan Twist appearance was, it just felt to me quite unnatural and was clearly trying to spell things out to the more casual audience ahead of the finale in 2 weeks time.

• Like 1

I would give this episode probably a 7.5 out of 10. I watched it at midnight and again about an hour ago and I picked up on some things that I missed on my first watch such as:

Spoiler

- Blocking The Doctor, talking down to him, acting agressive and even telling her other friends that "we shouldn't be talking to him, but at end of this he'll get punished" (or something like that). Then just no reaction to literally being a sociopath and killing the guy she likes. Woah.

As a Black Mirror fan I really liked it.

More mentions of that woman we keep seeing.

Johnathan Groff next week!!

Just watched it (slightly later than aired). Thoughts below.

Spoiler

Like Commtech, it wasn't my favourite episode, but it's interesting because I'm not sure we were meant to love it, if that makes sense. The lead character, Lindy, was a vile human being and didn't deserve saving. I'll be honest, I must have been half asleep because it never occurred to me that she hated the Doctor for being black, I thought she was just generally xenophobic to anyone not like her (rich and from her culture). But it makes sense. I'm not sure her sacrificing Ricky was because she's a sociopath as much as because she only cares about herself and it was advantageous to her at that moment to throw him under the bus. I'm glad the Doctor didn't get to save her, though, because she didn't deserve saving at all...but maybe that's the point they're making. Sometimes, you even have to save those who don't deserve it.

That's 3 episodes in a row that have been, in some way, Doctor-lite. He couldn't move in Boom, he vanished 2 minutes into 73 Yards and now he's appeared as a Zoom Call in Dot and Bubble. For someone with so much effervescence on screen, it seems odd that we're not using him (I am aware from catching last week's Doctor Who Unleashed that the reason we had to have the significantly Doctor-lite episode last week - a la Turn Left or Blink - is because Ncuti was still filming Sex Education and wasn't available).

I didn't mind the on-the-nose Susan Twist cameo. It is clear that we're supposed to be noticing her now (without you lot mentioning it, I probably wouldn't have noticed until this week). That's two weeks in a row that Ruby has recognised her and, this week, the Doctor realised she was the same as the Ambulance in Boom. When Ruby said she'd seen her other than as the Ambulance, was she referring to her earlier appearances or was she remembering the events of 73 Yards? Because, technically, her meeting with Susan Twist as the hiker happened in a now deleted timeline.

3 episodes to go - period drama next! And a whole catalogue of mysteries yet to be unravelled. Are we really going to fix them all this season? I think Ruby's parentage and Mrs Flood is going to run a bit longer. I think Susan Twist is this season's big reveal - There's always a Twist at the End...

• Like 2