msc

Derby Dead Pool 2020

37 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

I have just noticed that M C Beaton is a pick in the DDP. However she died on 30 December 2019

Here is the Guardian Obituary

Team didn't provide subs, didn't reply to emails asking for subs, and the entire website crashed with 19 picks on the team. The system was VERY temperamental this time round and in the end Reptile sat in a darkened room for a week and fixed several hundred bugs single handed until the website worked!

• Thanks 1

"In Eternum's Wrinkly Dicks" apparently was the final submitted team before the new year. They didn't provide subs. I think I'll just adjust the celebrity info to mark the death.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, msc said:

Team didn't provide subs, didn't reply to emails asking for subs, and the entire website crashed with 19 picks on the team. The system was VERY temperamental this time round and in the end Reptile sat in a darkened room for a week and fixed several hundred bugs single handed until the website worked!

No criticism intended. She used so many pseudonyms. I actually thought she died this year and someone was missing out on points. You are all doing a great job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For the stats chasers among us, here's the Drop 40 record since 2004 (when there was enough teams for a Drop 40 to be relevant):

2004 (6/40) - Reagan, Alice, Wray, Arafat, Benkner, Lauder,
2005 -  (13/40)  Pope JP2, Mills, Heath, Best, Schmeling, Callaghan, Pryor, Eddie Albert, Doohan, Gretchen Franklin, Rehnquist, Wisenthal, Fahd)
2006  (7/40)-  Ford, Pinochet, Hussein, Barbera, Rawls, Al Lewis, Davidson
2007 -(10/40)  Astor, Lady Bird Johnson, Messner, Tomlinson, Al-Tikriti, Pavarotti, Al-Bandar, Mercado del Toro, Yeltsin, Manning)
2008 (5/40) - Heston, Pinter, Clarke, Christodoulos, Hofmann)
2009  (12/40)- Swayze, Robson, Richard, Ted Kennedy, Allingham, Goody, Fawcett, Tony Hart, Patch, Malden, Atkins, Jackson
2010 (6/40)  - Wisdom, Foot, Rubinstein, MacCorkindale, Hopper, Dio
2011 (6/40) - Jong-il, Taylor, Hitchens, Ballesteros, Ford, Falk
2012 (12/40)- Al-Megrahi, Gibb, Etta James, Patrick Moore, Geoffrey Hughes, Andy Williams, Niemeyer, Borgnine, Clive Dunn, Shamir, Sykes, Stynes
2013 (11/40) - Mandela, Thatcher, Chavez, Biggs, Winner, Nolan, Cecil, Wing, Franklin, Kimura, Cliburn
2014 -(11/40) -  Jaruzelski, Sharon, Wallach, Paisley, Rooney, Crowe, Attenborough, Farmiloe, Kasem, Dora Bryan, Jardine
2015 (4/40) - Sam Simon, Denis Healey, Christopher Lee, Leonard Nimoy
2016 (13/40) - Gabor, Crowe, Ali, Castro, Feek, Reagan, Granger, Angelil, Bhumibol, Marks, Ford, Aherne, Havelange
2017 - 15/40 - Forsyth, van der Westhuizen, Glen Campell, Downie, Christie, Sallis, Brady, Booth, Jerry Lewis, Snuka, King Michael, Skellern, Meads, MT Moore, Wetton
2018 - 14/40 - Bush Sr, McCain, Rev Graham, Stefansson, Cryne, Jowell, Elias, Lima, Miller, Nevin, Ricketts, Hawking, Stan Lee, Norden
2019 - 12/40 - Bracknell, Clive James, Mugabe, Ricksen, Doris Day, Harper, Blanco, McCririck, Vervoort, Conway, Clegg, Fairlie
2020 - currently 8/40 - Kirk Douglas, Terry Jones, Andretti, P-orridge, Doleman, Moss, Scruton, Gascoine)

Bold is the current record holder - fair bit to go to challenge that one!

• Like 2

This appears to be an obit for one of Deathray's questionable picks. Won't post name here but the sisters name and age match that person's fundraising articles. Only snag is she died in Nov 2019Here

4 minutes ago, Miracle Aligner said:

This appears to be an obit for one of Deathray's questionable picks. Won't post name here but the sisters name and age match that person's fundraising articles. Only snag is she died in Nov 2019Here

Yes, I think that's her. Poor woman.

She earns that team as many points now as she probably will in 2021 ie none. Not to give away likely Committee decisions ahead of their announcement, of course...

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, msc said:

Yes, I think that's her. Poor woman.

She earns that team as many points now as she probably will in 2021 ie none. Not to give away likely Committee decisions ahead of their announcement, of course...

There's issues with that approach (for example Peter Mccleave is now far more famous than he was when that team picked him and might get a QO) but I broadly buy into it. 

Big issue is what is fame - an activist for the poor allowed but ill and fighting for better treatment/better death (A Vicky Phelean/Noel Conway type) not being allowed discriminates the ill - especially if they then write a book or do a single or get a television documentary about them. Prehaps only eliminate those who simply do newspaper articles and non ill people doing those activities wouldn't obit.

Family of the famous are different as even a non ill sudden death would obit in most cases if the celeb paid tribute to them.

That’s I won’t die, it’s the world that will end up to 3rd now. Dark horse for the ddp title?

"I will not die... it's the world that will end" will probably end up having the most hits of the year. The player went for older people, especially Henry Gray and Daniel Arap Moi. They would lead if Tom Smith were the next one to die, but they might run out of gas if people like Yoo Sang-Chul or Steve Blackmore die.

Nice test for the "5 pts are better than zero" strategy.

Steve Blackmore's death puts Love Boat within 3 points of the top.

After years of discussing what Reptile needed to do to take that next step in the DDP, apparently the answer was "become a member of the Committee and put your team in a week earlier than everyone else instead of second guess it for a week"... :D

1 hour ago, msc said:

Steve Blackmore's death puts Love Boat within 3 points of the top.

After years of discussing what Reptile needed to do to take that next step in the DDP, apparently the answer was "become a member of the Committee and put your team in a week earlier than everyone else instead of second guess it for a week"... :D

Ha! Well...I was (and still am) one of the people most vulnerable to overthinking.

I could have had it even easier by doing what everyone does, and just pick John Andretti instead of Pete Felton.

Now, let's see where it goes. My other differentials have succeeded and to be honest, I would be very happy with a first Top Ten result in four years (or three if you count the B-team).

Edit: 2 pts behind Rad. It goes even after a potential David Hagen vs Susan Bayh (or Lars Hogh) match-up. But Rad has one more hit. We share Banali, Kerslake, Gulpilil, Sang-Chul, Trebek and Vialli.

Meaning the duel Rad vs me comes down to Hogh/Bayh, Supernaw, Tapie, Tobin vs. Barkan, Bilton, Smullen and..., Tom Smith? I hadn't realized that Rad doesn't have Tom Smith. I am pretty sure that Tobin will be a hit for Rad.... but Smith will also be a hit for me.

That said, I think Supernaw isn't a bad pick.

Will admit a big part of why I ended up picking Blackmore was due to my annoyance of subbing Paul Van Zandvliet a few years back, which costed me a top ten placement. So it’s nice to see that thinking pay off (even though he does seem to be a nice chap).

It’s going to be interesting to see how my team ends up doing, all I’m really hoping for is my best performance to date right now...

HI I’M MIKE MCCLURE, YOU MIGHT REMEMBER ME FROM SUCH DDP HITS AS THIS ONE

This is genius. :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks to ongoing help from Willz, Joey and DI... theme team standing, List of the Lost, List of the Missed all updated. The front page obits are up to date, and the trackers updated with Jill our new lead.

And Reptile fixed the annoying big white blank bit at the top of the page (a broken menu, basically) because he is great.

Last time I got up to date, the dam broke. What is that Gooseberry Reaper planning next...

13 hours ago, msc said:

Last time I got up to date, the dam broke. What is that Gooseberry Reaper planning next...

You killed Little Richard! You bastard...

• Shocked 1

Little Richard was in my 'Pop go the wurzels' theme team.

Was never in The Wurzels though (for the benefit of those who may have thought otherwise).

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Should Have Been Eurovision. Instead It Is Eurovirus And Death. Round Up #9

Hutton Gibson: Awaiting Obit.

Ronald J Shurer: Awaiting Obit.

Shurer (qualifying) obit is linked on 2020 deaths thread

Just now, maryportfuncity said:

Tbf, Willz might not have been online in a bit. I’m sure once he’s awake he’ll take care of it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maryportfuncity said:

4 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Tbf, Willz might not have been online in a bit. I’m sure once he’s awake he’ll take care of it.

Can't be here all the time! I am now!

Tun Tin is one for the List of the Lost.

• Confused 1