Spade_Cooley

Dying Off The Radar

2 hours ago, Gisooo said:

American jazz saxophone player Vi Redd (Wiki), dead last year at 91, sadly can't find any obituary

She was highly regarded as an accomplished veteran who has performed with Count Basie, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Linda Hopkins, Marian McPartland and Dizzy Gillespie.

image.png.cb8c9c4d4dc126e942e2a8b4a4b82570.png

IMG_20230805_152631_287.thumb.jpg.e6d226fa8c4c72ee95cce56604c0f6b4.jpg

Worth noting that Accurint is technically just another data scraping website. A lot of the info is computer generated and I don't think it's 100% reliable.

Vi Goldberg has a middle name, "Louise", and she's "too big" to die off radar for over a year. Pretty certain this is not her.

16 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Worth noting that Accurint is technically just another data scraping website. A lot of the info is computer generated and I don't think it's 100% reliable.

Vi Goldberg has a middle name, "Louise", and she's "too big" to die off radar for over a year. Pretty certain this is not her.

First of all Accurint is not a data scraping website, belive it or not I don't care

People in USA use this website for work and one of them is my relative, so enough. I'm trying to be helpful finding those people who are dead without a obit and the ones I've found so far where you think they found the data since it was "data scraping"

Where the hell do you base he is data scrapping? Am I solved a lot of names?

• Like 3

2088408744_OoohMatron.jpg.1e58021f95d667fadb83e8e6683e952d.jpg

• Haha 3

34 minutes ago, Gisooo said:

First of all Accurint is not a data scraping website, belive it or not I don't care

People in USA use this website for work and one of them is my relative, so enough. I'm trying to be helpful finding those people who are dead without a obit and the ones I've found so far where you think they found the data since it was "data scraping"

Where the hell do you base he is data scrapping? Am I solved a lot of names?

Because it's obvious a lot of it is not written by humans.

Case in point – a record you posted yourself on here recently:

IMG_20230717_154258_168.jpg.44f4258e340256d203fc5906715766eb.thumb.jpg.66964ea7b451d0145f0abfb354b01e71.jpg

Pretty obvious Major General Henry Simon's middle name was not "General". :rolleyes:

I have no doubt this corresponds to his death record. But the data on that page was scraped. It wasn't written by a person.

• Facepalm 1

@tracy please if you are seeing this message solve the birth name problem of both people, please!

Actually, Gisooo is 100% correct here. It's her. Looking at the associated records of this Vi Goldberg, there's no way it isn't the sax player (she lived in a Palmdale, CA house with an Alfred Avelino, and you can find plenty of sources saying she called herself Vi Avelino), but here's what cinches it:

Here's a few videos uploaded by a Jamal Meeks about his grandma, Vi Redd. And here's an Instagram tribute he posted about his grandma, which lines up perfectly with the date on the Accurint record:

Thank you Nana for all that you did for me and our family. You always taught us the importance of keeping GOD first. Yesterday you were called home. I know you are in a better place now. You were an amazing Musician and even greater Grandmother. Love you always. RIP Nana

So yeah, she's a goner. No such thing as being too big to die unnoticed :dead3:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Being too sassy will damage your health, Ulitzer.

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, drol said:

Being too sassy will damage your health, Ulitzer.

Well I'll take it like a man and offer @Gisooo an apology and admit that I was wrong.

• Like 2

Delete

• Like 1

How obscure can we go? The first 9 x 9 wordsquares were created by Palmer Peterson, who died in 1979 and - thanks to his contributions to the world of crosswording in the US - was widely obitted. However, the second person to discover a 9 x 9 wordsquare (where nine nine-letter words form a grid that spells each word across and down), and the only other person who'd discovered one at the time of Peterson's death, was Noble Holderread. Looks like he died in March 2017. Bonus trivia: his son, Noble Holderread Jr, was a child actor who played Natalie Wood and Robert Culp's son in Bob & Carol & Ted & Alice.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

How obscure can we go? The first 9 x 9 wordsquares were created by Palmer Peterson, who died in 1979 and - thanks to his contributions to the world of crosswording in the US - was widely obitted. .....

a 9 x 9 wordsquare (where nine nine-letter words form a grid that spells each word across and down)

I was impressed, but less so when I saw the words :unsure:

• Haha 1

Not entirely off the radar as there was some sort of paywalled obit on this guy.

Anyhow, recently published was this for Ronald Bond aka Ronnie Bond, prolific British TV ad jingle writer: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/4418450. Died January 2022.

Bran Flakes - They're tasty, tasty, very very tasty...

Coco-Pops - I'd rather have a bowl of Coco-Pops.

Cadbury's Flake - Only the crumbliest, flakiest chocolate, tastes like chocolate never tasted before.

Lee Cooper Jeans - Don't be a dummy. This one is interesting as it was sung by Gary Numan for the ad, but John Du Cann took it to #33 in the UK singles chart in October 1979.

Couldn't find a mention here.

• Like 3

That bran flakes song was an absolute classic. Gordon Kaye off Allo Allo acted as the waiter in the ad I think

• Like 2

Here's a death that I found out about today that honestly now that I think about it, is a bit surprising went almost completely under the radar even within the media. That of Italian car mechanic, engineer and businessman Claudio Zampolli, who died in 2021 at the age of 82. 

Zampolli is one of those people who themselves were rather obscure, but managed to find himself associated with multiple completely different notable people for different reasons. So he had formed a joint venture with Italian music composer Giorgio Moroder of all people to create the car company Cizeta-Moroder which created arguably one of the most outrageous products in sports car history, the Cizeta-Moroder V16T. However the company however quickly crashed and fell apart, primarily due to Moroder deciding to leave the company after a dispute on the car's production process.

And then there's the Van Halen story of how he ended up starting the Sammy Hagar era back in the 80s, after Eddie Van Halen had stopped by Zampolli's Los Angeles shop to admire a Ferrari that happened to be owned by Sammy Hagar, which lead to Zampolli recommending Van Halen that he should call Hagar and tell him to join the band.

• Like 4

On 06/08/2023 at 08:46, Ulitzer95 said:

Because it's obvious a lot of it is not written by humans.

Case in point – a record you posted yourself on here recently:

IMG_20230717_154258_168.jpg.44f4258e340256d203fc5906715766eb.thumb.jpg.66964ea7b451d0145f0abfb354b01e71.jpg

Pretty obvious Major General Henry Simon's middle name was not "General". :rolleyes:

I have no doubt this corresponds to his death record. But the data on that page was scraped. It wasn't written by a person.

The better question, I think, is where was the data scraped from? It is getting increasingly harder to find more recent death information now that the SSDI has stopped being updated, and people dying in states like California, New York and Florida often have no obituaries published. Not to mention that it seems that not publishing an obiatuary or announcement seems to be more common nowadays.

24 minutes ago, edm88 said:

The better question, I think, is where was the data scraped from? It is getting increasingly harder to find more recent death information now that the SSDI has stopped being updated, and people dying in states like California, New York and Florida often have no obituaries published. Not to mention that it seems that not publishing an obiatuary or announcement seems to be more common nowadays.

Must come from some kind of insurance records.

Any idea why they stopped updating the SSDI? I thought that decision was bizarre.

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Must come from some kind of insurance records.

Any idea why they stopped updating the SSDI? I thought that decision was bizarre.

My thoughts too, I wonder if those records are publically available somewhere?

Pretty sure there was some legislation put into place around 2014 that made them stop updating it.

• Like 1

Just now, edm88 said:

My thoughts too, I wonder if those records are publically available somewhere?

Pretty sure there was some legislation put into place around 2014 that made them stop updating it.

Sadly no, we cannot find anything. ForverMissed is the only site to updated the ones who have Wikipedia page.

Found some actors deaths there like Nancy Kilgas (born 1931), John Copage (born 1925),  and even Vi Redd. They didn't received any tribute!

• Confused 1

On 23/06/2023 at 18:58, Ulitzer95 said:

@Gisooo, maybe the film historian who has cracked all of the above would have answers on the Italian film personalities below? I believe they're all probably dead.

*Aldo Scavarda (wiki, b. 1923) Italian cinematographer.

Aldo Scavarda died "some years ago" according to Corriere delle Sera.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, drol said:

Aldo Scavarda died "some years ago" according to Corriere delle Sera.

Thanks for this drol. That’s what I expected. However, there was this “news” piece from a few days ago mentioning a 100th birthday. Is Roma Daily News unreliable? Never heard of them before today.

11 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Thanks for this drol. That’s what I expected. However, there was this “news” piece from a few days ago mentioning a 100th birthday. Is Roma Daily News unreliable? Never heard of them before today.

They scrap dates from Wiki without checking anything. Every year they celebrate Adriana Sivieri's birthday...

Corriere is the most important Italian journal OTOH.

EDIT: according to undourced edits on his Italian page, he died on May 6 2001.

• Thanks 1

Former Congolese FM Charles Assemekang (wikidied in 1991.

french archeologist and conservator Pierre Amiet (wiki in english) died in 2021, aged 98, nine days before his 99th birthday. He was in my long list of names since a few yers. As an art student at the Louvre, I red a book from him and knew him from my classes. He even got a proper Le Monde obit but just found out about his death now. 

On 24/08/2023 at 17:40, drol said:

Former Congolese FM Charles Assemekang (wikidied in 1991.

Error : he died in 1999, I found him on Matchid (reference French website for deaths in France). You have to know that a lot of African politicians go to France living as retiree or going there for medical treatment. 

Gilbert Harrison, a theatre manager who also had bit part roles in a couple of Brian Rix movies, died aged 72 in 2002. However, the reason people on the internet have trying to discover him for years is because he was the model on the cover Championship Manager 93.

F4X67l2WIAAoGnY.jpg?name=orig

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1