Jump to content
msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, maryportfuncity said:

 

 

First post on Noble on that thread was a Twitter obit

 

Mail should suffice for the points, mind - 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-9385769/Boxer-Lee-Noble-dies-age-33-following-long-battle-cancer.html

The link must've changed from when I saw it because it had been one for the Sun.
(This one, not that it matters: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14407464/lee-noble-dead-terminal-cancer-eddie-hearn/ )

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Browsing through, I notice you have the wrong year of birth for Lisa Marie Presley. It should be 1968, not 1958.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update will come later tonight. I think we had about 10 hits in 8 days while I was away, with Ute Ranke-Heinemann still waiting for a QO. So yeah, after that curious slump after Rush Limbaugh Mid-February/early March we are back on track.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/01/2021 at 12:18, gcreptile said:

Alright, that was my C-team "The House of Extravaganza", 2nd and probably last year in the competition.

 

The B-Team:

 

Prof. Paul Cosford - joker

 

 

 

Died this morning, I just heard.

 

EDIT - Jeremy Hunt confirms it on Twitter.

 

Jeremy Hunt on Twitter: "Another terrible sadness today: the loss of Dr Paul Cosford, emeritus medical director at Public Health England. A distinguished & inspiring leader who led with his humanity and compassion. He also fought his cancer with great courage and dignity. RIP Paul from your many friends" / Twitter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, he gave a timeline himself that put him close to reaching 2022, so I didn't dare to pick him in my main team.

Ah well, I think I'm back to my previous years of bungling up main team/B-team picks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My team's on 3 hits. That's not horrible, right?

 

Hold on, that's only 13 points. Never mind...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I believe that sends Haben die Spaten top?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Phil the Greek a hit for many people i reckon!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

And I believe that sends Haben die Spaten top?

Somehow. Absolutely no chance this holds. I’d be thrilled to end up in the Top 50. However, I’ll take a very small amount of satisfaction being number one at this point in the year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The competition has no favourite yet, in my opinion. Tom Parker is like Marieke Vervoort and Leah Bracknell, picked as a joker by lots of teams, and his survival or death would totally change the race.

I can't believe I have two non-obits which kill my advantage with a joker who is definitely on borrowed time.

Plus, many teams had interesting side hits, Julie Strain and the like.

There are still 20-30 teams with plausible ways to victory. Including HDS, or Expiry Date, Book, etc etc ...

And so far, we haven't had too many picks who are already a "bad" pick, Tracey Emin, now, maybe Derek Draper, who could be a new Michael Schumacher.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish I'd remembered the old Greek would be worth a drop 40 bonus and classed as a 60 year old. A miss that probably hammers the nail in the coffin on any march for the top 100 unless Tom Parker snuffs it of unnatural causes on the 4th August. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/04/2021 at 12:09, gcreptile said:

The competition has no favourite yet, in my opinion. Tom Parker is like Marieke Vervoort and Leah Bracknell, picked as a joker by lots of teams, and his survival or death would totally change the race.

I can't believe I have two non-obits which kill my advantage with a joker who is definitely on borrowed time.

Plus, many teams had interesting side hits, Julie Strain and the like.

There are still 20-30 teams with plausible ways to victory. Including HDS, or Expiry Date, Book, etc etc ...

And so far, we haven't had too many picks who are already a "bad" pick, Tracey Emin, now, maybe Derek Draper, who could be a new Michael Schumacher.


Im still annoyed Derek Draper didn’t even make Drop 40. Tracey Emin was always a bad pick. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/04/2021 at 01:29, Banana said:


Im still annoyed Derek Draper didn’t even make Drop 40. Tracey Emin was always a bad pick. 

 

Trace was on Newsnight last night. Always strikes me as someone with the weight of the world on her shoulders and could flip anytime.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Right at the beginning of the year I noticed that there were precisely 20 people that matched a certain criteria, and they would make an excellent theme team, as all are certainly able to produce a QO, and they're all getting on in years. Plus there's a few members who are likely to be unique picks should I chose them. If only I'd though of them a day or two before! Anyway one member of that group passed on recently, so I'm ruing that chance even more now.

 

I'm not saying what the criteria is, as I hope to submit the list next time, assuming that more people make the list before the end of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, Helen McCrory. In my team last year, left her out this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@msc

 

Robert Howarth's death (2 April) seems to be mentioned here: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/births-marriages-and-deaths-april-13-2021-jgtz56fbj

 

If you look at this on Google his death is deffo there, but I'm paywalled out. He's referred to as Bob Howarth. Apologies in advance if it's a death notice rather than a mention.

 

@gcreptile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

@msc

 

Robert Howarth's death (2 April) seems to be mentioned here: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/births-marriages-and-deaths-april-13-2021-jgtz56fbj

 

If you look at this on Google his death is deffo there, but I'm paywalled out. He's referred to as Bob Howarth. Apologies in advance if it's a death notice rather than a mention.

 

@gcreptile

 

Appears to be a scan up of names in the hatches/dispatches section (which are paid notices?).

 

He's an MP. When was the last MP not to get a QO? First of Never, 1820-something?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, msc said:

 

Appears to be a scan up of names in the hatches/dispatches section (which are paid notices?).

 

He's an MP. When was the last MP not to get a QO? First of Never, 1820-something?

There was one other who I can't remember...wasn't picked for anything so didn't pay much attention.

 

It's more of a mention looking at the google result, but if you have looked and it's a DN, thanks for checking.

 

Tory seat warmer Paul Marland mentioned everywhere...literally a "do nothing except vote with the Government" MP. Howarth on the other hand not only fought against the EFTA rules, as imports of textiles from Portugal were harming the last remaining successful mills in his constituency, but also championed British development of Airbus and Concord (while Britain lagged behind the super growth of US air travel in the 1960s). He then spent 24 years leading the local council (having been in local politics for 7 years prior to that) through the diminishing mills business, and through the Thatcher years when unemployment in the area was one of the worst in England, leading the reinvention of the area for tourism. I.e. he didn't take a cushy private sector job or rely on his parliamentary pension. A lifetime of public service, for which even the left leaning Guardian won't obit him.

 

Such an interesting character. But I guess we'll have to read about another privileged millionaire, some no mark organists and lawyers, etc etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, msc said:

 

Appears to be a scan up of names in the hatches/dispatches section (which are paid notices?).

 

He's an MP. When was the last MP not to get a QO? First of Never, 1820-something?


Off the top of my head, I recall two fairly recent instances.

Sheila Wright in 2013 and John Hollingworth in 2018.

Likely others but I can't recall. It does happen.

@YoungWillz I would be surprised if Howarth doesn't obit. Don't think you have much to worry about.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:


Off the top of my head, I recall two fairly recent instances.

Sheila Wright in 2013 and John Hollingworth in 2018.

Likely others but I can't recall. It does happen.

@YoungWillz I would be surprised if Howarth doesn't obit. Don't think you have much to worry about.

It's bloody Philip Latham all over again, ha!

 

Before Shirley Williams and Frank Judd copped it, I was fairly sure there'd be one coming. Given there has been a Times DN, you'd think they'd do a write up at least. I don't see the weeping and teeth gnashing of Keir Starmer or Chris Bryant anywhere - yes, when even the Labour Party can't be arsed tributing one of their own, why should anyone?

 

Is there a record for most hits without an obit? Because at this rate I'm on the starting line. Ocht, maybe just fed up with it all.

 

Who is taking over the DDP by the way for 2022? Asking for a friend who might not bother efforting teams...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

It's bloody Philip Latham all over again, ha!

 

Before Shirley Williams and Frank Judd copped it, I was fairly sure there'd be one coming. Given there has been a Times DN, you'd think they'd do a write up at least. I don't see the weeping and teeth gnashing of Keir Starmer or Chris Bryant anywhere - yes, when even the Labour Party can't be arsed tributing one of their own, why should anyone?

 

Is there a record for most hits without an obit? Because at this rate I'm on the starting line. Ocht, maybe just fed up with it all.

 

Who is taking over the DDP by the way for 2022? Asking for a friend who might not bother efforting teams...

 

Latham did get a QO in the end. And a lovely DDP obit too...

 

Most List of the Losts? Mercate's cardinals team or that South Korean theme team from a few years ago, off the top of my head.

 

My successor? Is chosen, and shall be revealed in the 3rd quarter of 2020 (ie circa July!) - they have unanimous backing from the Cmme, and will run this bit of the show better than I do.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, msc said:

 

 

My successor? Is chosen, and shall be revealed in the 3rd quarter of 2020 (ie circa July!) - they have unanimous backing from the Cmme, and will run this bit of the show better than I do.

C'est impossible! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

Your use of this forum is subject to our Terms of Use