msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

38 minutes ago, Banana said:

How hard is it to distinguish “unexpected” from “unnatural”

If you die of exposure or falling on K2 in the depths of winter that's expected.

If you die of a plane crashing on your head on K2 in the depths of winter that's unexpected.

If you die being eaten by a lion on K2 in the depths of winter that's unexpected and unnatural.

If you die being murdered by the Spanish Inquisition on K2 in the depths of winter, well, nobody expects that.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, En Passant said:

If you die of exposure or falling on K2 in the depths of winter that's expected.

If you die of a plane crashing on your head on K2 in the depths of winter that's unexpected.

If you die being eaten by a lion on K2 in the depths of winter that's unexpected and unnatural.

If you die being murdered by the Spanish Inquisition on K2 in the depths of winter, well, nobody expects that.

An unnatural death means that it was caused by some external factor from the body.

19 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Yeah that one was utter shite.  
Speaking of falling, how about people falling who are climbing mountains?  

To me, a mountain climber falling to their death while climbing a mountain seems more a natural death than an elderly person dying from a basic fall around the house... but, hey, what do I know

8 hours ago, Banana said:

A natural death means that it was caused by some external factor from the body.

If you say so.

That would however mean that a heart attack, cancer, stroke etc. are somehow not natural deaths given that they are internal to the body.

I'm a bit lost as to the point of any of this and was throwing a few lines out for general amusement.

Incidentally, is 'external from the body' some sort of Americanism I'm unaware of? On this side of the pond we'd say 'external to the body'.

Is it similar to your use of 'bring this to there', which I've never understood because  we'd say 'bring it here' but 'take it there'?

Spent ages in Skyrim not having a clue what they meant by bring this to so and so, "bring"? I'm already here. It's already here. 

No, I don't have anything better to do right now, I've been locked within the same four walls for the better part of a year.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, En Passant said:

If you say so.

That would however mean that a heart attack, cancer, stroke etc. are somehow not natural deaths given that they are internal to the body.

I'm a bit lost as to the point of any of this and was throwing a few lines out for general amusement.

Incidentally, is 'external from the body' some sort of Americanism I'm unaware of? On this side of the pond we'd say 'external to the body'.

Is it similar to your use of 'bring this to there', which I've never understood because  we'd say 'bring it here' but 'take it there'?

Spent ages in Skyrim not having a clue what they meant by bring this to so and so, "bring"? I'm already here. It's already here. 

No, I don't have anything better to do right now, I've been locked within the same four walls for the better part of a year.

I meant unnatural...

On 07/02/2021 at 01:12, Banana said:

Just for some confirmation, does ANY UK Yahoo link count as a QO? Because the rules state uk.news.yahoo.com links count, not uk.*.yahoo.com. 

Because if it's the latter, that's a pretty bad catch-all ruling imo. Not a single one of the 3(!) uk.*.yahoo.com links that Josh Evans got were written by someone in the UK. Not to mention he got 3 from that catch-all, but nothing anywhere else. 

Okay, I had to check because of Jean-Claude Carriere, but you have a point. The rules only say that the news section of Yahoo counts, not the Eurosport and finance sites.

Irrelevant for Josh Evans, as mentioned.

... and now... okay, I thought Carriere only had a yahoo finance mention, but no, he already has this:

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/jean-claude-carriere-oscar-winning-234131804.html

And honestly, I think yahoo works in the way that once you see it on one of their sections, you see it on all of them. I mean, why should Carriere get a Sports or finance obit? And while I only saw the international link of that obit in Google news, I was able to just add the "uk." bit to the URL and voilà... 

So practically, once it's anywhere on Yahoo, it's everywhere.

Edit: Yeah, works just as well for Josh Evans: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/josh-evans-titans-tackle-2000-213627734.html

• Like 2

On 06/02/2021 at 23:56, Ulitzer95 said:

4/40 in the Drop40 gone.

Two in the last 24 hours alone. Beginners luck though I reckon.

Still, I can see there being another 10–12 from that list before the year is out.

Death of Dai Davies makes it 5/40.

The Drop 40 is very strong this year (minus a few silly picks like QEII). I can see up to 25 of them going before the year is over.

Anyone know what the Drop 40 hit record is and what year?

29 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

The Drop 40 is very strong this year (minus a few silly picks like QEII). I can see up to 25 of them going before the year is over.

Yes, the record was broken last year! 17/40.

There is a lot of potential still on the table.

• Thanks 1

Damn - I'm just an Ezra Nawi QO away from taking the lead for the first time ever. Not looking too good for that one though.

Fuck David Norris. There was a time that you couldn't shut the fucker up. Now when I need him to wax lyrical on every possible media outlet about how wonderful his former partner was, he goes quiet:angry:

Step up David - your country(man) needs you!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, An Fear Beag said:

Damn - I'm just an Ezra Nawi QO away from taking the lead for the first time ever. Not looking too good for that one though.

Fuck David Norris. There was a time that you couldn't shut the fucker up. Now when I need him to wax lyrical on every possible media outlet about how wonderful his former partner was, he goes quiet:angry:

Step up David - your country(man) needs you!

Still plenty of year left.

I swear there used to be a snooker themed team called Pot Black or Big Break but can't find it on the site, noticed it wasn't there this year but can't see it all the way back to 2016? Gave up?

Anyone able to clear up if this existed? 

And....Spade Cooley takes his first lead since 2017.

• Like 1

Barry Marshall, British dressage rider and judge, died January 14.  I'm sad about his death, but not as sad as it going unnoticed and him being on Cancel My Appointments.
So unless something happens -- List of the Lost candidate.
SC

• Sad 2

Already 31 points behind Spade in mid February, might as well concede now tbh...

On 10/02/2021 at 13:05, Ulitzer95 said:

*6/40

And more importantly... my first DDP hit this year. Finally! 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

*6/40

And more importantly... my first DDP hit this year. Finally! 

Well done.

Updated the "latest news" bit as everyone in the last one from 1st Feb was now dead! :o

Obits will update as and when. Usually more on ball but this has been a hell of a month. There's never so many DDP hits when we're all up to date!

3 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Already 31 points behind Spade in mid February, might as well concede now tbh...

Just wait until someone greenlights an Ezra Nawi biopic...

On 13/02/2021 at 20:41, WEP said:

Worse yet - she was on my Made In Detroit team I faultily failed to qualify - mailed to wrong email address.  

2 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

Worse yet - she was on my Made In Detroit team I faultily failed to qualify - mailed to wrong email address.  

Shame. Sorry for that!

By the way: She was male.

• Haha 2

Hello folks,

if you want to, have a look at the first new pictures of the 2021 DDP.

The letters A, J and R are done.

We are currently a team of three - and have quite a few letters in the alphabet left.

If you want to help the process, even just for one letter, message me, and I will invite you into our group.

Find a suitable image, crop it and cut it down to size, rename it, and mail it to me. It's actually quite fun, if you don't stress yourself.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Hello folks,

We are currently a team of three - and have quite a few letters in the alphabet left.

If you want to help the process, even just for one letter, message me, and I will invite you into our group.

Find a suitable image, crop it and cut it down to size, rename it, and mail it to me. It's actually quite fun, if you don't stress yourself.

Happy to do a letter tomorrow so feel free to add me mate :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gcreptile said:

Hello folks,

Would be happy to help.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dying Probably said:

Would be happy to help.

Great to hear! Let's talk tomorrow, it's getting late for me now, sadly.

• Like 1