msc

Derby Dead Pool 2021

3 hours ago, Elephant said:

image.png.e1018d1d7b9c51763cfaf006dec76946.png

All of these teams with a Cicely Tyson hit.

image.png.61ddcf6452a69d471a724227803a596f.png

All these teams are missing their Cloris Leachman hit too.

Seen as grim is being so fucking polite about this.

A quick glance on the front page would show you Gerry Marsden on the 3 January is the most recent hit to get an obit and the team are clearly working through the backlog - which appears to have been published last weekend.

Walter Bernstein being the most recent hit to be tallied on the deaths page died on the who's dead died on the 23 January - last Saturday?

It couldn't be that the committee are working on the site when they happen to have no work and family commitments, such as perhaps a Saturday or Sunday, could it? :P

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Resurrectionist said:

Seen as grim is being so fucking polite about this.

Ward 5 writes...

Hi Deathray.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yeah, the rest of January (after the site goes up) is usually a rush to complete real life work that was put to the side in the first half of the month.

Front page obits shall resume this weekend. I aimed to work on them last weekend but i felt horrendously unwell so watched The Wheel instead. Yes, Michael McIntyre, that's quite unwell! :lol:

• Haha 2

The fact that it would be possible to put the Queen on a  Video-Gamer theme team...

16 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/senator-david-norris-confirms-death-of-former-partner-ezra-nawi/ar-BB1deuky

This would be a QO for Ezra Nawi under current DDP rules? MSN UK as it's en-gb in the URL.

Nice idea, but the snag is that its UK Yahoo News we brought back, not MSN UK. Sorry.

• Facepalm 1

Good lord my Gooseberry Crumble team is in the top 20.First time any of my teams have ever been  that high! Number 18 courtesy of my unique pick Lewis Wolpert. 

Perhaps I'm a dark horse and one to watch in this years pool......

Quick question for the future - some of the picks I might steal in 2022 would probably only obit in their native country (e.g. Joyce Bamford-Addo).

Would an obit from the country they lived in count?

7 minutes ago, Elephant said:

Quick question for the future - some of the picks I might steal in 2022 would probably only obit in their native country (e.g. Joyce Bamford-Addo).

Quick answer - no.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Elephant said:

Quick question for the present - are you unable to read the fucking rules?

• Haha 1

Tom Moore is hit no. 1 for me

Quite a few of us i imagine 

Hmm, strange thing on the "Who's dead" page...it's now ordered exclusively by day, not by month also...I wonder why... Problem is, I might not be able to fix it for a few more days.... But the scores are correct. Prophet remains at fiirst place, because he also picked Captain Tom.

Edit: Okay, I can fix it temporarily, but the fundamental problem remains somewhere in the code. Well, later.

Surprised that "only" 25 teams had him. As such he wasn't in the drop 40 either.

25 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Surprised that "only" 25 teams had him. As such he wasn't in the drop 40 either.

Yes, he was one of the big underachievers of the DDP along with Derek Draper.

Whereas Rob Burrow, Willie Nelson, Bobby Charlton and Norman Lloyd (!) all came within 3-4 teams of Drop 40 status.

• Like 1

I’m bummed that 3 of my picks had only one other team pick then, 1 more had two teams.  I don’t expect a ton of unique selections but it would have been nice to get a couple in there somewhere.  Disappointing.

SC

From what I can gather from the K2 climb, Atanas Skatov is dead but lacks a QO, and at least one of the other picks is missing.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, msc said:

From what I can gather from the K2 climb, Atanas Skatov is dead but lacks a QO, and at least one of the other picks is missing.

I had no idea, this was such an epic undertaking. Anyway, there's potential for more:

https://explorersweb.com/2021/02/05/k2-many-sst-climbers-not-yet-in-base-camp/

Antonis Sykaris, for example, "exhausted and frostbitten" with 3rd degree burns.

Sadpara is a big name among mountaineers.

22 minutes ago, Grim Up North said:

Wonder if Susan Bayh’s death keeps me off a very temporary top spot?

Leon Spinks dead now. That must rattle the top of the pool.