Gooseberry Crumble

I predict the grim reaper is going to confound sceptics and be its most powerful yet like a super strong enema in 2024 moreso than recent years equalling or even beating 2020

5 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Derek Draper is hardly a household name.

But he was on celebrity Who Wants to be a Millionaire. Are you suggesting Chris Tarrant would dreg the barrels of the term celebrity for ratings?

I almost kept a straight face there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I’ve produced farts more deadly than the last 5 months.

Pity you haven't deployed them around Westminster more strategically.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Shirley Conran, Roger Corman, Gudrun Ure, Bernard Hill,  Ian Gelder,  John Savident, Alice Munro , Terry Medwin,  Frank Field, Duane Eddy

There are 4 people I haven't heard off, 2 I only know because of this site and of the remaining 4 Gelder is someone you might recognise but isn't particularly major, Savident isn't internationally known. Corman and Hill are the only 2 BIG names I'd say out of those you provied.

9 minutes ago, Steve said:

I am on the side of @Gooseberry Crumble as can also add Ian Lavender, Carl Weathers, M Emmet Walsh, Louis Gossett Jr, Don Murray, Joe Kinnear, Steve Wright, Annie Nightingale!!!

Another 4 I haven't heard of, then Walsh is one of those who you know the face but not necessarily the name, Wright and Lavender are pretty UK centric. Weathers is the only BIG death here.

That being said I don't think this year has been as bad as the actual list might suggest (it's still not good though). Other than the people already mentioned I'd say Alexei Navalny, Brian Mulroney, Beckenbauer and OJ Simpson are the bigger deaths so far.

• Like 1

Haven't heard of Louis Gossett Jr.? Gadzooks.

No sign of dead people in the deathlist

1 hour ago, Toast said:

But this isn't about the Deathlist. It's about deaths of notable people in general.  But the younger you are, the fewer you will know.

As for "household names", that's overrated as a criterion. I know who everyone is who was mentioned in Gooseberry's post. And Derek Draper.

Many actors are very recognisable by their faces or by the roles they have played, if not always by name.

There are definitely levels of fame and notability. Many of the names mentioned aren’t noteworthy enough to ever have made the Deathlist. Someone who is only “known” for a stint on a long forgotten short running 80s British children’s show and hasn’t acted since is clearly not on the same level as a Jimmy Carter or a David Attenborough :lol:

But frankly who gives a toss? Rad mentioned the death of a comedian the other week I'd never heard of before, but clearly he meant something to his fans.

It's a year not so much of headliners but "oh yeah, them" names. 

• Like 1

It's still the year the Shangri Las frontwoman died for me.

I march to the beat of my own drum but it's a very predictable beat :D

• Like 4

Loads of people who've dropped this year have had varying degrees of significance for me. Not for you, maybe, but that's fine. Everyone has their own individual enema plops. Steve Wright, Annie Nightingale, Ian Lavender, considerable splashes as far as I'm concerned.

As for the official DL, people just need a bit of patience. Sit on the bog and read an article and shut up. It'll make its way out soon.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

I’ve produced farts more deadly than the last 5 months. 

Where are the BIG names?

Deadly farts are  coming keep the faith!!

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TQR said:

Loads of people who've dropped this year have had varying degrees of significance for me. Not for you, maybe, but that's fine. Everyone has their own individual enema plops. Steve Wright, Annie Nightingale, Ian Lavender, considerable splashes as far as I'm concerned.

As for the official DL, people just need a bit of patience. Sit on the bog and read an article and shut up. It'll make its way out soon.

I too have found sitting on the toilet to be very therapeutic at times- some of my DDP picks were confirmed whilst sitting on the toilet!

1 minute ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

Deadly farts are  coming keep the faith!!

The only thing keeping me vaguely hopeful is that it’s a leap year, which have been fruitful in the past. 

• Like 1

The way I view it is this, there have many people I knew, but not many  the mass population knew, like in years gone past, over here in the US. As was said many I know the face, I know the song, I know the movie people. Still waiting for a big shockingly huge rocks the US media death.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Commtech Sio Bibble said:

There are 4 people I haven't heard off, 2 I only know because of this site and of the remaining 4 Gelder is someone you might recognise but isn't particularly major, Savident isn't internationally known. Corman and Hill are the only 2 BIG names I'd say out of those you provied.

Another 4 I haven't heard of, then Walsh is one of those who you know the face but not necessarily the name, Wright and Lavender are pretty UK centric. Weathers is the only BIG death here.

That being said I don't think this year has been as bad as the actual list might suggest (it's still not good though). Other than the people already mentioned I'd say Alexei Navalny, Brian Mulroney, Beckenbauer and OJ Simpson are the bigger deaths so far.

Being internationally known is  not an essential part of the criteria of this thread and never was but I echo  what others have said like  @TQR - patience is needed.  Multiple clusters or clusterfucks of big name deaths are still possible,  there is plenty of time.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RetroGamer47 said:

The way I view it is this, there have many people I knew, but not many  the mass population knew, like in years gone past, over here in the US. As was said many I know the face, I know the song, I know the movie people. Still waiting for a big shockingly huge rocks the US media death.

Britney?

2 hours ago, oldhollywood said:

There are definitely levels of fame and notability. Many of the names mentioned aren’t noteworthy enough to ever have made the Deathlist. Someone who is only “known” for a stint on a long forgotten short running 80s British children’s show and hasn’t acted since is clearly not on the same level as a Jimmy Carter or a David Attenborough :lol:

Again, you're bringing the Deathlist into this.  It doesn't matter whether they're Deathlisty or not, nor comparative levels of fame.  We're just counting notable people dying.

1 hour ago, TQR said:

Just think of it like the Hare's Deadpool, where we hope they all hang on till December. :D

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Toast said:

Just think of it like the Hare's Deadpool, where we hope they all hang on till December. :D

Moaning minnies here gonna look silly when December Durchfall arrives!

• Haha 1

I agree the year has been slower than average, but DLwise, I think it's primarily just bad luck, not that literally nobody is buying the farm. There hasn't been a hit from a single one of the Random Old People, whereas if they had gone for DLy guys like Peter Higgs or Roger Corman, we'd be at 5/50, which we were at this time last year. But it's not like those are inherently better picks than the guys they did choose, because, as stated, they are Random Old People. You'd just think some of the ones they DID choose would be dying by now.

But it wasn't really a strong field for potential picks anyway.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, oldhollywood said:

Gudrun Ure played Desdemona opposite Orsen Wells as Othello on Broadway which is a pretty big deal. Global notoriety should not be measured through the narrow prism of one person's interests or experiences

• Like 7