Gooseberry Crumble

I predict the grim reaper is going to confound sceptics and be its most powerful yet like a super strong enema in 2024 moreso than recent years equalling or even beating 2020

6 minutes ago, TQR said:

Hush your noise. Steve Wright is a huge loss here in the UK. Ian Lavender and Michael Jayston both recent prominent deaths too.

Who was it who always used to say “Ignorance is not a virtue”?

There hasn’t been a stable stream of deaths though. One or two notables isn’t really the same. I agree with drol, never known it to be this dry. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

There hasn’t been a stable stream of deaths though. One or two notables isn’t really the same. I agree with drol, never known it to be this dry. 

I dunno. Wasn't April and May 2022 a huge dry period for deaths as well?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charles De Gaulle said:

I dunno. Wasn't April and May 2022 a huge dry period for deaths as well?

Pfft maybe. Tbf my post is pure hyperbole. I can’t even remember what I had for dinner last night :P 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

Dunno about dry, it’s three “Oh fuck, x is dead!” names in the space of a week and a bit. That’s positively sodden in comparison to the times where the only action hereabouts is Drol reporting on the hospitalisation of V. S. K. U. N. T. Ragunamatafuckapan who was a former Indian minister for baskets in the 1970s or some shit.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Facepalm 1

We were spoiled in January with three quick hits.

We also had Johnnie Irwin from the crowdsourced list but not the ones we're are expecting. People like Steve Wright are huge but not in terms of game play

I remember the December avalanche from some years back when all looked bleak in terms of death at midwinter.

Frosty wind made moan and then they all died.

• Like 1

It's been undeniably dry in terms of deadpooling picks, A-listers, forum cult figures and, personally, immortals and state leaders.

Three people who were only famous in the UK is not high standard. This month is severely underperforming and I'll be the first to recognize when it stops.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, drol said:

immortals and state leaders

It feels personnal :D 

I’d say, Badinter and Malaurie were such big names out here that it makes february a « good » month overall, but I tend to agree that in terms of international fame, it’s quite dry… 

• Like 1

Feb 6th has been the last significant day for me:

Old geezers: Bensait Idder, Chike Edozien, Sir Tony Epstein, Jack Guttentag, Robert M. Young

A-lister and immortal: Seiji Ozawa

State leader: Sebastian Pinera, John Bruton

Plus Donald Kinsey. That is a decent day for sure.

Badinter, Malaurie and Dries van Agt are other notable deaths that spring to mind. But everything has been incredibly quiet.

• Like 2

I mean just the DDP it's been what, 6 days since we've had a hit?

Had Carl Weathers and Toby Keith over here in the US this month too. Seems like nobody in the past 10 days though

• Like 2

People who died in the last nine days I had heard of:

Feb 18: no one

Feb 17: Johann Galtung (because he was a Right Livelihood Award winner)

Feb 16: Ian McMillan, Jorge Toro, Alexey Navalny (very natural death)

Feb 15: no one

Feb 14: no one

Feb 13: no one

Feb 12: no one (I know UK would say Steve Wright)

Feb 11: Kelvin Kiptum (very natural death), Nerio Nesi (barely famous only in the North of Italy)

Feb 10: no one

Since I known a ridicolous amount of "notable" folks, and most of them are cranky old, critically ill or both, this just does not add up. I suspect some death has happened but has to be announced yet. Don't really remember a weaker month than this.

• Like 1

Its not quantity that matters, its quality, 2 huge names, world famous, gone in a week, Steve Wright and Navalny

• Like 1

Steve Wright is not fucking world famous at all.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Just now, drol said:

Steve Wright is not fucking world famous at all.

My big boss, American, and based in America, had straight away heard of him, I don’t know for fact but would guess R1/2 was available for streaming all over the world

The only deaths I've heard of this month have been world famous types like Texas real estate mogul Welcome W. Wilson Sr., Nigerian literary scholar Folake Onayemi, Moldovan television host Elena Strâmbeanu, Tanzanian diplomat Diodorus Kamala, and Croatian musicologist Nikša Gligo. Meanwhile, in fast-paced January, legends like former British Virgin Islands Minister for Health and Social Development Carvin Malone were biting the dust like it was nothing. WTF Happened?

• Haha 9

So far this year there have been 5 deaths that have a large significance to me (Glynis Johns, Carl Weathers, Michael Jayston, Steve Wright and Navalny), but because of the way they've happened it feels like a very dry year, a big spurt at the start of January and then nothing for the rest of the month and a big spurt at the start of February and then a couple of other deaths but nothing consistent. The main thing that I feel is missing are those C tier deaths (recognisable supporting actors, non-governing politicians or forgotten musicians) which usually occur every few days.

• Like 3

Yeah, when breaking news push notifications are Crazy Joe from Seinfeld and Toothless from Deliverance, it’s dry.

Can we please rename this thread to something along the lines of '2024: Predictions and Discussions', I almost have a stroke every-time I try to read its current title.

Can we start referring to it with the acronym IPTGRIGTCSABIMPYLASSEI2024MTRYEOEB2020?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I'm not even strict with criteria for a significant death. For example, Robert Badinter and Dries van Agt were very significant for me.

And aside from lack of A-listers death, we are on a forum where hundreds of the sickest, oldest or both, people get mentioned everyday, but there was basically no deaths among them in the last month. In other words, there isn't the usual background you expect for deaths.

To make an example if Zhang Lixiong finally copped it, it would not be significant per se, but is surely someone who has carved a niche of significance within this forum. And like him many many others. Who are not dying at all in this period.

Of course it will end, but for now 2024 has been the Merriam-Webster definition of "disappointing".

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Clorox Bleachman said:

Can we start referring to it with the acronym IPTGRIGTCSABIMPYLASSEI2024MTRYEOEB2020?

I like it! It keeps with the super-strong enema theme, given that's the sound I'd probably make while having it administered. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, drol said:

To make an example if Zhang Lixiong finally copped it, it would not be significant per se, but is surely someone who has carved a niche of significance within this forum. And like him many many others. Who are not dying at all in this period.

Zhang Lixiong and Steve McMichael both seem very good examples of how much a life can be prolonged because family can't let go.

Back in November Zhang's family thanked his medical team for "bringing him back multiple times during the last year"

For context he is 110 years old, has been in hospital nearly continuously for three years on oxygen and nasogastric tube. There's an 2017 video somewhere on Weibo where he says he's forgotten a massive portion of his life including the names of most of his friends and family and he's afraid of forgetting even more.

I can't decide which is worse, Mongo being lucid in his condition (that is only ever going to get worse) and undergoing surgeries, resuscitation or Zhang being an empty shell and having different tubes inserted into him. 

• Like 7