The Old Crem

Who Should Make the Deathlist in 2022?

Hmm, well my reply (just take it as read the Cmme don't care, passing pedants! Unless you are in the Cmme in which case remember your mate Gorbachev :D)

Ulitzer's list

KEEPs

AGREED with Lansbury, White, Barker, Kissinger, June Brown, Jimmy Carter, Leslie Philips, Tony Bennett, Ros Carter, QE2, Belafonte, Benny, Nolan, Woodward, Poitier and Doherty out right. They are either old and frail, or old and ill, or just old and not striking you as being destined to be around in 2-3 years. The outlier to those is Queen Libby, but she is one of the very few people on the list I'd say you cannot miss and skipping now is just playing with sods law that one of her wee hospital stays next year turns out to be pneumonia or something else suddenly fatal to the very old.

DROPS

AGREED with Akihito (retirement seems to have given him extra time), Loretta Lynn (doing fine for a soon to be 90 year old stroke survivor), Alan Greenspan (healthy and very boring), the Ayatollah (too young and not dying), Dick Cheney (agreed he looks to have another year at least in him, if you remember Sam Galbraith there is a clear downturn in major transport folks frailty in the year or so before they snuff it), Betty Boothroyd (still active, despite her heart issues), Vanessa Redgrave (imo, she goes in her late 80s).

Which leaves us with 9 from 16.

Scales (could go tomorrow or 2024), Newhart (frail but seems better now than last year), Walters (MIA and ill), Baxter (still muggling along but a personal favourite), Shane MacGowan (looked fucked for centuries), Dick Van Dyke (healthiest man on planet?), Delors (clearly unwell), Crosby (boy who cried wolf?), Marcos (ill but dull), Yoko Ono (ill but not sure how quickly), Mel Brooks (legend but seems OK), Willie Nelson (performing but old and frail), Le Pen (seems to have a few years in him yet), Castro (I don't believe the rumours of ill health), Bacharach (frail but performing), and Cribbins (too sad to contemplate tbh)

Of those, Castro, Le Pen, Newhart and MacGowan seem easier drops. MacGowan could go at any time, but I'm long on the record of disliking these 50/60 year old alcoholic "gotta go one day" picks. 

Which leaves us with 3 more to drop. I'd drop one of Crosby or Nelson and Willie Nelson seems the better bet of the two. Yoko feels like a cert Cmme drop, though if she died tomorrow it wouldn't surprise me given events. And for a bit of realism (and to avoid jinxing someone else), let's get rid of Marcos here. 

So the 25 being kept are: Lansbury, White, Barker, Kissinger, Brown, J Carter, L Philips, Bennett, R Carter, QE2, Belafonte, Benny, Nolan, Woodward, Poitier, Doherty, Scales, Walters, Baxter, Van Dyke, Delors, Brooks, Nelson, Bacharach, Cribbins. (Yes, I kept the healthiest 96 year old ever. I was trying to be realistic!)

RETURNEES (Ulitzers)

Tom Smith, Gorbachev, Jerry Lee Lewis, ONJ, Liza Minelli - 5. 

Can't argue with Jerry Lee or GORBA-fucking-CHEV. The latter of which seems to have spent most of the last 3 years or so in hospital! Smith, I'm agnostic on - even though having that surgery in summer was probably a huge fucking alarm bell. This is why I never win the DDP. Olivia Newton-John isn't on my radar at the moment, though I am now listening to a low quality Oz radio interview she did a few weeks ago to see if there's any health clues! Liza a solid tip. 

Returnees I'd put my money behind Nigel Lawson (he has shown up on TV a fair bit lately and I haven't revised my opinion that a sneeze could finish him off), Desmond Tutu (considerably frailer than he was a few years ago), and, don't groan,  Attenborough (starting to show and sound his age imo, and I'm wary of a trend for DL missing out on 96 year old British legends who die suddenly). I'd also try and find some room for Ozzy, because I feel like he doesn't have much time left on the planet after, well, all the Ozzy stuff he did to himself. (This is not hypocritic after Shane, as Ozzy is now in the danger zone for men of his age with addictions. Ok, a wee bit hypocritical...)

NEW

AGREED - Tebbit, Whale (such a DL name),  Alagiah (sadly), Field (an open goal), Pele, Charlton. Glynis Johns would be a great pick too. I could see James Watson showing up too. 

DISAGREED - De Gaulle, Halvorsen, Parker, K Jackson don't feel front page famous. Tim Curry feels a DL pick but 2022 might be too early by a year or two. Superstar Billy Graham has exaggerated his health so often I wouldn't trust him dying if we were having his actual funeral. Bill Turnbull I feel he has longer to go than Alagiah, but will be on the DL.

The rest is a matter of subjectivity, so I'll end by adding, that, imo, Russell Bishop, Marianne Faithful, Tom Weiskopf, and Vic Elford are all ill folk famous enough for the front page. Or infamous in the Babes in the Wood child killers case. The Duke of Kent, I know someone he spoke to last month actually, and he's even frailer and iller looking in real life. Stroke suffering David Graham has gone downhill so fast, James Lovelock is of the moment (and would be doomed due to the whole oldest new pick sequence),  oh, and Mohammed Al-Fayed is meant to be dying. 

This leaves space for a few aging A listers (presumably one of Eastwood or Hackman gets a nod, or Eva Marie Saint), and the "Oh they actually picked this sick person" (maybe the Cmme love comic books and nab George Perez) picks.

9 hours ago, Ulitzer95 said:

(list was here)

• Like 7

That was a really well thought out post @msc. The only section I think you lost it on was this one:

Returnees I'd put my money behind Nigel Lawson (he has shown up on TV a fair bit lately and I haven't revised my opinion that a sneeze could finish him off), Desmond Tutu (considerably frailer than he was a few years ago), and, don't groan,  Attenborough (starting to show and sound his age imo, and I'm wary of a trend for DL missing out on 96 year old British legends who die suddenly). I'd also try and find some room for Ozzy, because I feel like he doesn't have much time left on the planet after, well, all the Ozzy stuff he did to himself. (This is not hypocritic after Shane, as Ozzy is now in the danger zone for men of his age with addictions. Ok, a wee bit hypocritical...)

Ozzy was on TV a few weeks ago with Sharon. He looked and sounded as per normal. Yes I know he keeps cancelling/rescheduling  gigs, but he’s been doing that for years. Often it’s back related etc. I just think his health is social media and tabloid based and he has a few years left yet.

Attenborough is just a wasted space IMO. Still very active for his age, gave a speech at COP last month. I don’t think he’s “too big to miss”. I think that title should be reserved for the biggest world leaders only ie Pope BXVI, the Queen, Gorbachev, Carter.

I agree Lawson could go any time but he just keeps springing up at events or on interviews every now and then. He’s pretty unpredictable.

Tutu looked frailer and yet not too bad at his 90th birthday event a few weeks ago. Could last another couple of years if he stays that way.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ulitzer95 said:

That was a really well thought out post @msc. The only section I think you lost it on was this one:

Returnees I'd put my money behind Nigel Lawson (he has shown up on TV a fair bit lately and I haven't revised my opinion that a sneeze could finish him off), Desmond Tutu (considerably frailer than he was a few years ago), and, don't groan,  Attenborough (starting to show and sound his age imo, and I'm wary of a trend for DL missing out on 96 year old British legends who die suddenly). I'd also try and find some room for Ozzy, because I feel like he doesn't have much time left on the planet after, well, all the Ozzy stuff he did to himself. (This is not hypocritic after Shane, as Ozzy is now in the danger zone for men of his age with addictions. Ok, a wee bit hypocritical...)

Ozzy was on TV a few weeks ago with Sharon. He looked and sounded as per normal. Yes I know he keeps cancelling/rescheduling  gigs, but he’s been doing that for years. Often it’s back related etc. I just think his health is social media and tabloid based and he has a few years left yet.

Attenborough is just a wasted space IMO. Still very active for his age, gave a speech at COP last month. I don’t think he’s “too big to miss”. I think that title should be reserved for the biggest world leaders only ie Pope BXVI, the Queen, Gorbachev, Carter.

I agree Lawson could go any time but he just keeps springing up at events or on interviews every now and then. He’s pretty unpredictable.

Tutu looked frailer and yet not too bad at his 90th birthday event a few weeks ago. Could last another couple of years if he stays that way.

Hopefully, in Ozzy's case. I am admittedly blinded by being a fan. (Although I do like the Pogues too, see, typical hypocrite. :lol:)

If its Tebbit or Lawson, Tebbit, but there feels like room for both. Though now I realise I forgot Douglas Hurd. They wont all be on the list! I do note Tebbit's frequent Lords speeches appear to have ceased? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, msc said:

Hopefully, in Ozzy's case. I am admittedly blinded by being a fan. (Although I do like the Pogues too, see, typical hypocrite. :lol:)

If its Tebbit or Lawson, Tebbit, but there feels like room for both. Though now I realise I forgot Douglas Hurd. They wont all be on the list! I do note Tebbit's frequent Lords speeches appear to have ceased? 

Yes, Hurd is definitely preferable IMO.

In order of likeliness to kick the bucket:

Norman Tebbit
Douglas Hurd
Nigel Lawson

Chris Patten (I know him, and he's had serious health issues on and off for years. He's 78 now so worth watching)
Michael Heseltine (Still making some appearances here and there but has been very absent from the Lords lately, rumours about his health have been swirling in WM)

All the other Thatcher cabinet secs are doing fine (Ken Clarke, Major, Lamont etc.), not notable enough for inclusion, or there just isn't recent enough info on them period.

• Like 1

I don't think you can really compare Shane MacGowan to anyone, his liver almost belongs to the list of immortals at this point. However in recent pictures...

He's never been as large as many heavy drinkers but look at his hands and his face, he looks like he's lost weight during the last years. 

Would Lucia Hiriart be notable enough for the list? Less famous than Imelda Marcos but much frailer and probably a 2022 dead cert.

Akihito looks great, could walk without a stick a couple of months ago. His 88th birthday will be in nine days and I expect we'll get new pictures of him.

5a96f414ef5e0802c02f80ebd0903697.thumb.jpg.e0d3619d50445c99ffaff842e2549b37.jpg

Jerry Lee Lewis is probably 20+ years past his expiration date, already on DL 1993 and this is very likely the last chance they'll get to put him back on the list. Impressive how he's lived to 86 with his lifestyle, a hellraiser addicted to drugs (amphetamines, desbutal, painkillers etc), alcohol and seems to have smoked for decades too and was already in poor health and corpse-like in the 80s. That picture above is from 35 years ago. 

• Like 2

A few names I wish would be taken into consideration :

Amadou Mahtar M’Bow (b. 1921) : former UNESCO director 

- Lee Grant (b.1925) : actress 

- Irene Papas (b. 1926) : actress and singer 

- Mitzi Gaynor (b.1931) : actress 
- Roger Corman (b.1925) : producer
- Isabel Peron (b.1931) : forme president of Argentina

- Gordon Moore (b.1929) : Intel creator 

- Benjamin Ferencz (b.1920) : lawyer in the Nuremberg trial 

and Lucia Hiriart

don’t know how many of them are famous enough to appear on the list though 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lafaucheuse said:

A few names I wish would be taken into consideration :

Amadou Mahtar M’Bow (b. 1921) : former UNESCO director 

- Lee Grant (b.1925) : actress 

- Irene Papas (b. 1926) : actress and singer 

- Mitzi Gaynor (b.1931) : actress 
- Roger Corman (b.1925) : producer
- Isabel Peron (b.1931) : forme president of Argentina

- Gordon Moore (b.1929) : Intel creator 

- Benjamin Ferencz (b.1920) : lawyer in the Nuremberg trial 

and Lucia Hiriart

don’t know how many of them are famous enough to appear on the list though 

Roger Corman maybe

1 minute ago, Bibliogryphon said:

Roger Corman maybe

Only him ? I thought Mitzi Gaynor, Lee Grant, Gordon Moore, Irene Papas and Peron were famous enough…

32 minutes ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Only him ? I thought Mitzi Gaynor, Lee Grant, Gordon Moore, Irene Papas and Peron were famous enough…

That was the name that stood out for me. Peron probably is but unless there is compelling evidence for the others then I think they might be lost in a sea of more familiar names

11 minutes ago, Bibliogryphon said:

That was the name that stood out for me. Peron probably is but unless there is compelling evidence for the others then I think they might be lost in a sea of more familiar names

I’d say Mitzi Gaynor is famous enough for the front page as she was the leading lady of a well known film seen by millions 

51 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I’d say Mitzi Gaynor is famous enough for the front page as she was the leading lady of a well known film seen by millions 

Did not make the connection with South Pacific

She needs to get more coverage in the forums for the point where she is a regular

Having said that there is normally at least one committee pick I need to look up

• Like 1

To be fair, after Bill Gate's Daddy, the definition of what is or isn't DLy is rather shaky!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

The two that really, for me, would be new lock-in additions are:

Vic Elford (advanced cancer)

Billy Bingham (in final stages of dementia)

Both will get obits with no trouble at all.

I'll also lob in

Duke of Kent (Has been surprisingly active, but looks like utter shite and has done for a while)

Nehemiah Persoff (Ancient, overweight and previous ill health)

Jimmy Calderwood (Advanced dementia) - but you could take your pick from him and Joe Kinnear, Alan Peacock, Dave Watson, Mike Bailey and Tony Parkes, all of whom are in latter stages of dementia. Parkes and Kinnear especially so.

Of the list:

I would actually keep Mel Brooks on. This is on a gut feel and nothing to do with his general health, which seems excellent. He does look a lot frailer than, say two years ago to me.

I agree with The Queen, Pope Benedict, Leslie Phillips, Jimmy Carter, Sidney Poitier being retained.

I also agree Jerry Lee Lewis and Desmond Tutu should return.

I'd also say cast-iron locks already mentioned (but in case anyone laughingly takes my opinion seriously); George Alagiah, Frank Field, Pele, Glynis Johns, James Watson

The lock-in in terms of chances of dying, but not of getting an obituary is John Wickham. Has advanced MND.

That is all.

• Like 1

Robert Solow, Joss Ackland, Una Kay, Michael Sinelnikoff, Norman Lear, Roger Corman, Tom Conti, Tom Skerritt, Red Robinson, Jimmy Pattison

• Like 1

Kim Woodburn maybe. Just can't see her lasting long into her 80s.

• Like 1

Shintaro Tsuji - The found of Hello Kitty. Stepped down a few years ago for health reasons,turns 95 in 2022

Robert Kuok-The Founder of Shangri-La Hotels turns 99

George Perez-  DC Comic Book Artist behind New Teen Titans has terminal Pancreatic Cancer. 100% lock he won't survive the year

• Like 1

I will be shocked if either Vic Elford or Billy Bingham make to the list. I can only see Bobby Charlton or Denis Law of the dementia suffering footballers being future front pagers to be honest. If Terry Venables dementia was ever confirmed in the press then he could be a list contender as well. 

Stan Bowles strikes me as a DL worthy.Diagnosed at 64 now nearly 73 has been in advanced stages dmfor several years and is in a care home.Guaranteed obit from all major sites in UK when he goes.

6 minutes ago, The Old Crem said:

I will be shocked if either Vic Elford or Billy Bingham make to the list. I can only see Bobby Charlton or Denis Law of the dementia suffering footballers being future front pagers to be honest. If Terry Venables dementia was ever confirmed in the press then he could be a list contender as well. 

Billy Bingham definitely has the pedigree for the list. I agree that Elford does not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Banana said:

Billy Bingham definitely has the pedigree for the list. I agree that Elford does not.

I agree about the Pedigree but I am not sure the deathlist committee will choose him. 

The people on my Deathlist Prediction team should all make the list for 2022.

Just saying...:lol:

Look, the Deathlist bods will decide themselves, and they won't need good pick bad pick or wtfs in January. It'll happen and we shall be astonished at their perspicacity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The DL should take a punt on those rumours from earlier this year that Terry Venables was basically a care home husk right now, imho.

12 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

The DL should take a punt on those rumours from earlier this year that Terry Venables was basically a care home husk right now, imho.

They should but when do the deathlist ever take online rumours that haven’t made the press into account.

We have lost two biggies in Prince Phillip and Bob Dole but I am not sure who are going to be the lingerers to replace them. If they stick with QEII it is possible she could still be here in five years time but I am not sure who is going to be the long term picks who are on almost everyone's lists. Jimmy Carter and Leslie Phillips seem likely

I wouldn’t be mad if they include Maggie Smith : 88yo next year and frail for years. I can’t see her reaching 90 

• Like 1