The Old Crem

Who Should Make the Deathlist in 2022?

On 06/12/2021 at 18:52, ladyfiona said:

Those i've mentioned in ideas and possibilities recently/somewhere down the line:

• Janey Godley - Ovarian Cancer
  • Tom Parker - Cancer
  • June Spencer - Is 102 and a voice actress in The Archers
  • James Lovelock - 102
  • Baronees Pamela Sharples - 98
  • Baroness Jill Knight - 98
  • Eva Marie Saint - 97
  • Mike Nussbaum - 97
  • Baron Henry Plumb - 96
  • Baron John Eden - 96
  • Robert Lindsay, 29th Earl of Crawford - 94
  • Viscount William Lloyd George - 94
  • Baroness Betty Boothroyd - 92
  • Gene Hackman - 91
  • Katherine Jackson - 91
  • Warren Buffett - 91
  • Clint Eastwood - 91
  • Rolf Harris - 91
  • Barbara Eden - 90

• Shirley MacLaine - 87
  • Jean Marsh - 87
  • Dame Maggie Smith - 86
  • Christina Pickles - 86
  • Barry Cryer - 86
  • Ursula Andress - 85
  • Lord John Prescott - 83
  • Wally Funk - 82 (oldest person in space)
  • Paul Simon - 80 (recently sold all his music)
  • Milos Zeman - 77 (Czech president who recently left hospital after being elected around October)
  • Aung San Suu Kyi - 76
  • Ashraf Ghani - 72 (former Aghan president who fled from Taliban)
  • Martin Bashir - 58 (ongoing health issues)
  • Derek Draper - 54 (Kate Garraway's husband who seems to give daily upates on his health. Currently "in a terrible state")
  • Eugenia Cooney - 27 (anorexic)

Wally Funk was the oldest woman in space but William Shatner would be the oldest person in space.

9 hours ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Three names I'd not be at all surprised to see make DL debuts next year on the "feels DL-y and old enough" protocol: Rupert Murdoch, Don King, Hans Blix.

Hans Blix would be a boring pick. He is one of those people of who won’t get much coverage when they die - former international officials tend to fall into that category. 

My suggestion for the 2022 DeathList:

Keep

Dick Van Dyke

Betty White

Angela Lansbury

Bob Barker

Alan Greenspan

Henry Kissinger

Pope Benedict

Leslie Philips

Tony Bennett

Harry Belafonte

Prunella Scales

Willie Nelson

Joanne Woodward

Emperor Akihito

Jimmy Carter

Jean-Marie Le Pen

Jacques Delors

Imelda Marcos

Mel Brooks

Stanley Baxter

Sidney Poitier

June Brown

Queen Elizabeth

Linda Nolan

Shannen Doherty

Return

Buzz Aldrin

Cleo Laine

Lester Pigott

Desmond Tutu

David Attenborough

Tom Smith

Louis Farrakhan

Mikhail Gorbachev

Olivia Newton John

Pervez Musharraf

Jerry Lee Lewis

Nigel Lawson

New

Ryan O`Neal

Rupert Murdoch

Jean-Louis Trintingnant

Rolf Harris

James Earl Jones

Billy Connolly

Doddie Weir

Pele

Ethel Kennedy

Glynis Johns

Nichelle Nichols

June Lockhart

Eva-Marie Saint

• Like 6

3 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

Return

Buzz Aldrin

Aldrin has never been on the list.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TomTomTelekom said:

New

Rupert Murdoch

Yes not just because of his age but because we need at least one name on the list that we can cheer the demise of, now Limbaugh's gone.

I also think George Alagiah should be considered, who unfortunately isn't very lucky with cancer and had to start another break from the News last October:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/oct/18/bbcs-george-alagiah-to-take-break-from-tv-after-cancer-spread

• Like 3

Lots of good ideas and suggestions! If you want to predict what the DL will look like, please take part in the DL Prediction Game:

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Book said:

Lots of good ideas and suggestions! If you want to predict what the DL will look like, please take part in the DL Prediction Game:

And of course, they can PM them to me to be included in the Crowdsourced Deathlist. Cheap plug!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, msc said:

And of course, they can PM them to me to be included in the Crowdsourced Deathlist. Cheap plug!

I know you can't say WHAT or rather who they are but are there plenty of surprise names gaining traction in the crowdsourced deathlist or is it proving to be in line with your expectations and quite predictable?

Just now, Gooseberry Crumble said:

I know you can't say WHAT or rather who they are but are there plenty of surprise names gaining traction in the crowdsourced deathlist or is it proving to be in line with your expectations and quite predictable?

We've only got 7 lists in (I'm out of practice here but iirc 90% of lists come in after the 20th!) so right SHITLOADS. An aging novelist, a somewhat forgotten sports star, there seems early consensus around an oft-mentioned DL forum name yet to make their DL debut, some of the A list are now clearly on the radar for some due to age, and around 5 or 6 of the survivors from the current list have no points whatsoever right now. It's complete tactical anarchy but it will merge into more of a shape when more folk get involved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, msc said:

We've only got 7 lists in (I'm out of practice here but iirc 90% of lists come in after the 20th!) so right SHITLOADS. An aging novelist, a somewhat forgotten sports star, there seems early consensus around an oft-mentioned DL forum name yet to make their DL debut, some of the A list are now clearly on the radar for some due to age, and around 5 or 6 of the survivors from the current list have no points whatsoever right now. It's complete tactical anarchy but it will merge into more of a shape when more folk get involved.

Thanks. I will gift you a list in the next week to keep you on your toes before the mad rush!!

• Like 1

Keep:

Emperor Akihito

Bob Barker

Stanley Baxter

Harry Belafonte

Pope Benedict XVI

Tony Bennett

Jimmy Carter

Dick Cheney

Bernard Cribbins

Jacques Delors

Shannen Doherty

Dick Van Dyke

Queen Elizabeth II

Henry Kissinger

Angela Lansbury

Willie Nelson

Bob Newhart

Linda Nolan

Yoko Ono

Leslie Phillips

Sidney Poitier

Prunella Scales

Barbara Walters

Betty White

Joanne Woodward

Return:

Mikhail Gorbachev

Olivia Newton-John

Desmond Tutu

New:

George Alagiah

Buzz Aldrin

Kenneth Anger

Giorgio Armani

Carroll Baker

Miguel Bezos

Bobby Charlton

Petula Clark

Bill Cosby

Bernie Ecclestone

Frank Field

Brian Glanville

Jean-Luc Godard

Glynis Johns

Quincy Jones

Rupert Murdoch

Pele

Roman Polanski

Patricia Routledge

Eva Marie Saint

Ted Turner

Ady Zivelonghi

Leave:

Betty Boothroyd

Mel Brooks

June Brown

Burt Bacharach

Rosalynn Carter

Raul Castro

David Crosby

Alan Greenspan

Ali Khamenei

Shane MacGowan

Imelda Marcos

Loretta Lynn

Jean-Marie Le Pen

Vanessa Redgrave

• Like 1

Am I the only one to think that Sandy Gall, Cleo Laine and Farrakhan should make their return ? I don't see any of them living another 1 or 2 years

My opinions currently:

Keep:

1-Betty White (100 next month, hasn't left her house much this year and overall very quiet nowadays)

2-Angela Lansbury (96, given up on autographs/fan mail)

3-Bob Barker (Stroke and cancer survivor, 98, frequently hospitalised and hasn't seen anywhere for ages AFAIK.)

4-Henry Kissinger (Not really in bad health as he can stand and walk but he's also 98, obese and sounds frailish)

5-June Brown (94, has smoked a pack of cigarettes a day for seven decades)

6-Jimmy Carter (Ton of health issues in the past, somehow still going)

7-Leslie Phillips (See Carter)

8-Jacques Delors (Poor health, 96)

9-David Crosby (Alcohol, heroin and cocaine use, smoker with diabetes, a liver transplant and his heart is running out of time)

10-Tony Bennett (Alzheimer's)

11-Rosalynn Carter (Frail)

12-Dick Cheney (CVD, five heart attacks, chain smoker, looks frail and heart transplant could be running out of time)

13-Queen Elizabeth II (96 next year and recently hospitalised, not frail but she isn't going to live forever and shouldn't be dropped at this point, would be one hell of a miss if she died off the list)

14-Harry Belafonte (Sounds and looks very frail)

15-Pope Benedict XVI (Health issues for decades, frail)

16-Imelda Marcos (Wheelchair-bound and pale)

17-Yoko Ono (Wheelchair-bound, frail, apparently has an undisclosed illness and requires round-the-clock care)

18-Joanne Woodward (Alzheimer's? Not seen in public for a long time)

19-Willie Nelson (Lung collapse in 1981, has had multiple bouts of pneumonia and emphysema and a history of drinking and smoking. Seems great currently but feels like it's a miracle he's gotten to 88)

20-Betty Boothroyd (Open heart surgeries in 2009 and 2020, smoker)

21-Jean-Marie Le Pen (Looks frail)

22-Sidney Poitier (Very quiet nowadays)

23-Burt Bacharach (Frailish?)

24-Shane MacGowan ("Young" but sounds frail, looks frail, in a wheelchair for ages and with a very long history of binge drinking and has also used hard drugs, even though he now looks slightly better than a couple of years ago his organs probably aren't in the best condition)

25-Shannen Doherty (Stage IV breast cancer)

Others seem too damn stable.

Return:

Jerry Lee Lewis (Serious stroke in 2019, ancient for a hellraiser and frail)

Desmond Tutu (Cancer, in a wheelchair and very frail)

Mikhail Gorbachev (Frail)

Liza Minnelli (Ill)

Jake "the Snake" Roberts (COPD)

Ozzy Osbourne (Parkinson's for 18 years, failed back surgery, bouts of pneumonia and "countless ailments" according to himself)

New:

Jiang Zemin (95, frail, not seen anywhere in years)

Norman Tebbit (Frail, recently widowed)

Frank Field (Cancer)
Marianne Faithfull (Emphysema, covid last year and uses an oxygen machine)

Giorgio Napolitano (Aortic dissection, frail)

Milos Zeman (Cirrhosis and liver encephalothy with diabetes, also had covid)

Monica Vitti (Alzheimer's)

Pele (Cancer)

George Alagiah (Cancer)

Norman Lear (100 next year, looks frailish)

Kris Kristofferson (Frail with lyme disease and recently retired)

James Lovelock (Ancient)

Jean-Louis Trintignant (Cancer, refuses treatment)

Rose West (Obese, frail)

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, arghton said:

13-Queen Elizabeth II (96 next year and recently hospitalised, not frail but he isn't going to live forever and shouldn't be dropped at this point, would be one hell of a miss if he died off the list)

are you suggesting QEII is a man ? Long Live King Elizabeth II then !

Here's my two cents for next year's list:

Drop

Akihito

Loretta Lynn

Alan Greenspan

Ali Khamenei

David Crosby

Prunella Scales

Imelda Marcos

Linda Nolan

Willie Nelson

Betty Boothroyd

Burt Bacharach

Vanessa Redgrave

Shane MacGowan

Shannen Doherty

Return

Ozzy Osbourne

Rex Williams

Jerry Lee Lewis

Desmond Tutu

Sandy Gall

Cleo Laine

Mikhail Gorbachev 

David Attenborough 

New

Frank Field

Pele

Glynis Johns

Marion Ross

Phil Collins

Gene Hackman

Tom Lehrer

Nichelle Nichols

Noam Chomsky

Sandra Day O'Connor

James Earl Jones

Norman Lear

Doddie Weir

Eva Marie Saint

Joan Plowright

Buzz Aldrin

Bobby Charlton

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Predictor said:

New:

Giorgio Armani

he is probably the healthiest 87 year old and is showing no signs of slowing down; suffice to say, it wouldn't surprise me if he was picked at #6 on the list next year.

• Haha 1

I think dropping Linda Nolan would be a big mistake tbh, not sure why multiple people think she should be dropped. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Lafaucheuse said:

Am I the only one to think that Sandy Gall, Cleo Laine and Farrakhan should make their return ? I don't see any of them living another 1 or 2 years

Farrakhan is still giving sermons to his church.He might live another few years

21 hours ago, wildstorm said:

he is probably the healthiest 87 year old and is showing no signs of slowing down; suffice to say, it wouldn't surprise me if he was picked at #6 on the list next year.

If he is so healthy, then how come he is in your Fifty Nifty? :P I think Cardin was around the same age when he made his debut as Armani is today, so I agree that it seems like the kind of inclusion the committee would have for 2022.

As for healthiest 87-year-old, I think George Chakiris is up there too. Maybe it's the hair dye, but he could honestly pass for a guy in his 60s. :o

4 minutes ago, Predictor said:

As for healthiest 87-year-old, I think George Chakiris is up there too. Maybe it's the hair dye, but he could honestly pass for a guy in his 60s. :o

Sophia Loren, Judi Dench and Shirley MacLaine would also be up there for the healthiest 87-year-old. 

6 minutes ago, The Daredevil said:

Sophia Loren, Judi Dench and Shirley MacLaine would also be up there for the healthiest 87-year-old. 

Donald Duck too. It's astonishing how little he has aged over the years. All that rage must be good for his health. ^_^

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Predictor said:

If he is so healthy, then how come he is in your Fifty Nifty? :P I think Cardin was around the same age when he made his debut as Armani is today, so I agree that it seems like the kind of inclusion the committee would have for 2022.

he was on my list before i was updated on his good health, diet, and daily workout regimen over the summer. i would say to learn from my mistakes, but then again there has been a tendency of seemingly healthy (albeit old) people dying the year I drop them from my list :dead3:

• Like 1

Alright, my thoughts (not that anybody cares... particularly not the "committee")

KEEP (21)
Angela Lansbury (frail, seldom seen now and 97 next year)
Betty White (frail, 100 in January)
Bob Barker (99 next year, frail, seldom heard from now, numerous hospitalisations)
Henry Kissinger (loose keep... he's still active, though frail(ish). Could go on for another 2 years or could go in 2 months)
June Brown (95 next year, lifelong smoker, now retired and gone quiet as of recent)
Jimmy Carter (frail, occasional hospitalisations, imagine he will go next year)
Leslie Phillips (strong keep... how is he still alive?!)
Prunella Scales (had dementia for years now and the most recent update suggests she has max 1-2 years left)
Tony Bennett (strong keep... Alzheimer's + looked fucked in that August appearance, I think he'll just pass in his sleep soon enough)
Rosalynn Carter (looks frail enough and health issues like her husband)
Queen Elizabeth II (loose keep, in an ideal world we'd know exactly what's going on, I still think it's nothing serious but too big to drop)
Harry Belafonte (loose keep, still in the public eye but noticeably very frail now)
Bob Newhart (ditto the Belafonte comment, still alive but looks frail, I think he may do an Ed Asner and just go suddenly)
Barbara Walters (seriously ill for years, now totally out of public view)
Pope Benedict XVI (frail, seldom seen in public and 95 next year, the only other "way too big to drop" name other than Carter and QEII)
Linda Nolan (terminal cancer, recent reports suggest she's nearing the end now)
Joanne Woodward (Alzheimer's for years and not seen in the public eye in a long time)
Sidney Poitier (no longer seen in public, we're led to believe he's very frail and he's 95 next year)
Stanley Baxter (turning 96, seldom seen nowadays, noticeably frail in the last few pics of him)
Shane MacGowan (loose keep, he just looks so fucked, like a small cold could finish him off)
Shannen Doherty (terminal cancer, now well surpassed her expectancy, I think it will catch up with her soon enough)

DROP (18)
Dick Van Dyke (still doing sit ups and running at 96, there are stronger nonagenarian options)
Akihito (looks fine in recent pics, still working)
Loretta Lynn (going on that recent video, looks ok, seems to have recovered the best one can from a big stroke)
Alan Greenspan (looks ok, not much change in that recent video I posted, again there are stronger nonagenarian options)
Jacques Delors (loose drop, cancelled an event recently due to health but looks ok in a recent vid... too unpredictable)
Ayatollah Ali Khamenei (gave a recent public address, looked ok)
David Crosby (if you just Google him you can find loads of recent interviews, inc. videos, he looks ok)
Dick Cheney (appeared in the recent 9/11 doc in the BBC and at Dole's funeral, looked fine)
Imelda Marcos (loose drop, looks ok in recent public pic despite being in a wheelchair, we just don't know enough)
Yoko Ono (loose drop, looks ok, definitely slowing and getting frail but could go on for a few years yet)
Mel Brooks (loose drop, still active and working and giving interviews, there are stronger nonagenarian options)
Willie Nelson (loose drop, performing the other week and looks ok)
Betty Boothroyd (I just watched a video of her from her office the other week, looks ok and still working)
Jean-Marie Le Pen (loose drop, seems to still be active and doing video interviews despite the health fears several years ago)
Raul Castro (loose drop, still making the odd public appearance and looks ok)
Burt Bacharach (frail(ish) and seldom seen but we just don't know enough to give him a place)
Bernard Cribbins (we're told he's doing "fine", ditto the above reason – we don't know enough)
Vanessa Redgrave (loose drop, some whispers about her health but not enough concrete info to go on)

ADD (29)
Frank Williams (91, obese, wheelchair bound and looks frail)
Sidney Cooke (95, strokes and heart attacks galore, another "how is he still alive?" name)
Katharine Jackson (wheelchair bound, serious stroke, frail and hospitalisations, ditto how is she still alive?)
Tim Curry (probably my most controversial pick but hear me out – totally fucked from that major stroke and still indulging in his vices that likely caused it e.g. smoking, his physical and mental state is so bad I would expect him to have a recurring stroke to finish him off)
Lord Norman Tebbit (from seeing him in the flesh myself this summer I can tell you he won't see 2023)
Philippe de Gaulle (100 in 2 weeks time, we're told too ill to make public appearances, an easy hit)
Winnie Ewing (Alzheimer's for years, ppl are shocked she's still alive)
Monica Vitti (Alzheimer's for decades, surely can't see through another year)
Gail Halvorsen (102 next year, frail and miraculously survived a COVID infection by the sounds)
Tom Smith (terminal cancer that's spread all over his body)
Tom Parker (terminal brain cancer, good news recently but like Doherty, I think it will catch up quite quickly)
Mikhail Gorbachev (frail, seldom seen in public, add him to the small "too big to miss" club)
Jerry Lee Lewis (very frail, can barely string a sentence together)
Olivia Newton-John (terminal cancer, quieter as of recent...)
James Whale (terminal cancer, looks like a burnt lasagne, he's now outlived his prognosis, can't see him getting to 2023)
George Alagiah (terminal cancer, seems close to the end now)
Bill Turnbull (ditto Alagiah)
Jean-Louis Trintignant (turning 92, still has cancer)
Jimmy Millar (dementia for years, death hoax this year which was very believable at the time as he's been expected to go for a while now)
Frank Field (terminal cancer and in hospice care)
Sandra Day O'Connor (Alzheimer's for years, never seen in public)
Superstar Billy Graham (yet more recent hospitalisations, years of ill health, another how is he still alive type)
Pele (cancer, very frail, inconsistent statements from family suggest they downplayed it when the truth seems that he's dying)
Liza Minnelli (recently disappeared from public eye, rumours she's near the end)
Sir Bobby Charlton (dementia, didn't attend his own brother's funeral last year due to ill health)
James Watson (very frail, already looks like a corpse)
Sir Michael Gambon (noticeably absent from public eye recently, rumours of ill health, not attending the Harry Potter cast reunion)
Larry Storch (99 next year, has looked very frail for years, another how is he still alive type)
Glynis Johns (99 next year, been in a care home for years)

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Gooseberry Crumble said:

@Ulitzer95

Decent  thoughtful  post. 

May I be nosey please and ask under what circumstances you came so close to Norman  Tebbit this year?

On 08/09/2021 at 20:04, Ulitzer95 said:

Met Lord Tebbit yesterday at an event. Looked very pale, frail, walking stick and shuffled slowly. He was also noticeably hunched. His hearing was poor but he spoke with ease. Marbles are still there, but his body is noticeably deserting him. Get him on the list for next year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1