90(5)

Willie Nelson

29 April 1933

90(5)

Glynis Johns

5 Oct 1923

100(4)

Analysis – as of 27 May 2023

These are the D40 picks that will cross a threshold in age that leads to a point loss by moving into a lower point bracket.  It is lower than the past two years (2022 had 6, 2021 had 9).  It is a tight race and anyone’s game now.  As every point counts, some players may regret their choices or pay attention to birth years in the future.

Of course, the points for being at D40 pick are not impacted, just the base points from the pick’s age.  They could still surprise with a party pooper bonus (cough, Kissinger, cough).  I started writing back in March, but that reminded me today to finish it up.

Spoiler

Yoko Ono

Known to be in poor health and using a wheelchair since 2017. Was active on Twitter in January.

Willie Nelson

Hadn’t realized he’d already dropped down in points last month. Has emphysema, and recently said he was making changes to improve his health.  Got over COVID in 2022, did not attend to pick up Grammy in February 2023. Scheduled to be on tour until October 2023. 

Henry Kissinger

Still active giving talks and attending meetings.  Celebrated with a 100th birthday lunch.  Constant reliable updates. 

Glynis Johns

Living in a retirement village in California.  Worth noting that it specializes in dementia care.  As she keeps a low profile, updates are non-existent.

Jonnie Irwin

Celebrated his 50th birthday early.  The biggest share of points and jokered extensively.  Said he was given 6 months when he went public in late 2022.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Yep, Hollywood's classic "found spelunking in a men's bathroom" case.

We've all done it, haven't we?

Secret is not to get caught. ;)

I wish people would stop saying "bathroom" when they mean toilet.  There are a zillion words for toilet that don't mean a room with a bath in it.

"caught sucking off a hairdresser called Perfecto Telles in a men's bathroom" is funnier than "caught sucking off a hairdresser called Perfecto Telles in a men's water closet".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Spade_Cooley said:

"caught sucking off a hairdresser called Perfecto Telles in a men's bathroom" is funnier than "caught sucking off a hairdresser called Perfecto Telles in a men's water closet".

Nobody says "water closet" though. 

"The bogs" is my favourite term. ;)

George Maharis.

George Michael.

Pattern....:P

Don't know how @Death Impends felt after writing the latest batch of obits for the DDP, I was a little shattered just reading them! Well done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Don't know how @Death Impends felt after writing the latest batch of obits for the DDP, I was a little shattered just reading them! Well done.

Knackered and bloody glad Monday's a holiday here to say the least :D Took most of the Saturday finishing up this batch and 3-4 hours of that for Tina alone!

Jim Brown was one of the weirdest rollercoaster writing processes tbh. Went in going "NFL obit FFS" to "ah, civil rights and film star so there's interesting stuff for me to grab on to" to "history of assault arrests so I have to carefully consider my words FFS"!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Knackered and bloody glad Monday's a holiday here to say the least :D Took most of the Saturday finishing up this batch and 3-4 hours of that for Tina alone!

Jim Brown was one of the weirdest rollercoaster writing processes tbh. Went in going "NFL obit FFS" to "ah, civil rights and film star so there's interesting stuff for me to grab on to" to "history of assault arrests so I have to carefully consider my words FFS"!

"prolonged exposure to Osmonds records.! :D

Top work as ever.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, wannamaker said:

John Morris QO

John Morris is under A for Aberavon. 

Some of these guys take a load of searching the way they are named! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

27 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Sure they're not the same person but with anagrammed names?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, YoungWillz said:

Gutted about this news, fantastic guitarist but I knew he was really ill and reluctantly picked him for my main team and I see he's a Unique pick for me.

• Like 1

On 01/03/2023 at 13:25, YoungWillz said:

I actually think this is 2016 all over again - I think the hit rate will rise rather than fall. 

The deaths/obits keep coming.

Start scribing those obits!

• Like 2