Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2023

It will start getting interesting when the old (90+) members of the Drop Forty start keeling over, like Carter and Rolf, preferably on the same day. That will reduce all the tied scores significantly.

Updates have to wait for 2 more days, but thanks nonetheless.

• Like 1

Just waiting for an obit for Kenneth McAlpine.

Edit - Got one

• Facepalm 1

On 10/03/2023 at 14:01, An Fear Beag said:
(THEME) Great-Dead Britons
First year in DDP.
(THEME) A-List british people
  1. Julie Andrews
  2. David Attenborough Drop Forty bonus
  3. David Beckham Unique pick
  4. Tim Berners-Lee Unique pick
  5. Tony Blair
  6. (singer) Bono Unique pick
  7. Richard Branson
  8. Michael Crawford Joker!
  9. Terry Deary Unique pick
  10. Bob Geldof
  11. Boy George
  12. Eric Idle
  13. Mark Labbett Unique pick
  14. John Lydon
  15. Harry Maguire Unique pick
  16. Paul McCartney
  17. Steve Redgrave Unique pick
  18. Cliff Richard
  19. J. K. Rowling
  20. Robbie Williams 

I finally got around to looking through some of the Theme Teams, and this one caught my eye. Leaving aside the question of whether "British people" is really a theme in a British Dead Pool, the real issue is what are Bob Geldof and Bono doing on it? Of course you are welcome to the two insufferable cunts, but I'm fairly sure that they still count as paddies.

I agree that ‘British People’ shouldn’t normally be allowed as a ‘theme’, but in this case they didn’t just grab the usual suspects you see on the ACTUAL DL, or even those who would be in the next 50 popular names imho (save a couple).  I would hope a discussion took place with the team owner and the people running DDP prior to accepting this team.  I presume it did, given the names, and I’d allow it.

This isn’t like the ‘theme’ team we had submitted and allowed a couple years back that was basically ‘Men Only’ and was basically the actual Deathlist (seeing as its 90% males).  That was absurd, and both the team and the Admin who allowed it are gone.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sir Creep said:

This isn’t like the ‘theme’ team we had submitted and allowed a couple years back that was basically ‘Men Only’ and was basically the actual Deathlist (seeing as its 90% males).  That was absurd, and both the team and the Admin who allowed it are gone.

That wasn't even the worst theme team allowed that year (2020). My Irish team finished second to a team whose "theme" was "most popular surviving picks from last year". That was it- dying people who hadn't died yet. Including Chris Doleman who had been picked on 2 teams the previous year! Ridiculous that it was allowed. 

(Not that I'm still bitter or anything :banghead:)

12 minutes ago, An Fear Beag said:

That wasn't even the worst theme team allowed that year (2020). My Irish team finished second to a team whose "theme" was "most popular surviving picks from last year". That was it- dying people who hadn't died yet. Including Chris Doleman who had been picked on 2 teams the previous year! Ridiculous that it was allowed. 

(Not that I'm still bitter or anything :banghead:)

That was the year that brought about the rule changes. The Cmme was more focused on the transfer of how the system works that the fact folk had been gaming the Theme Team League (which I never paid much attention to as a DDP thing) escaped until too late in the day. We were also distracted by the "why haven't you changed the FFBI loophole already?" complaints  when the answer was "because there's 2000 lines of corrupted code buggering up the website Reptile needs to fix first, plus a whole bunch of other gremlins". 

My proposal was to just axe the theme team league, as it was extra work for nowt but complaints, but Reptile and Grim outvoted that.

12 minutes ago, msc said:

That was the year that brought about the rule changes. The Cmme was more focused on the transfer of how the system works that the fact folk had been gaming the Theme Team League (which I never paid much attention to as a DDP thing) escaped until too late in the day. We were also distracted by the "why haven't you changed the FFBI loophole already?" complaints  when the answer was "because there's 2000 lines of corrupted code buggering up the website Reptile needs to fix first, plus a whole bunch of other gremlins". 

Yeah yeah - excuses, excuses excuses :angry:

To be fair, the committee that year did a huge amount of incredible work that year in upgrading the system, which I'm sure committees will get the benefit of for years to come. I can imagine that the Theme Team League was not a high priority that year.

It's never too late to do the right thing though. I might petition the current  committee to re-examine the league results for that year, and see if that travesty of justice can be overturned, and appropriate reparations made. I was robbed, robbed I tell ye!! :old:

Ahem, my PC broke down. So the next update might have to wait for a bit, let's see... the DDP files should be safe, I think it's either the video card or the motherboard. 

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, msc said:

My proposal was to just axe the theme team league, as it was extra work for nowt but complaints, but Reptile and Grim outvoted that.

I still think three teams is over-generous. One main team and one theme team per player would be more manageable.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Toast said:

I still think three teams is over-generous. One main team and one theme team per player would be more manageable.

The phrase "One for the List of the Missed" is already far too popular! 

:D

• Like 1

Ken Potts who was a unique pick just passed. Still waiting on a qualifying obit, but he may be heading to the list of the lost.

Just now, dimreaper said:

Ken Potts who was a unique pick just passed. Still waiting on a qualifying obit, but he may be heading to the list of the lost.

He has a Yahoo post.

(While I'm here, Rachel Pollack is one for LOTM. Was a pick in 2019.)

• Like 2

Ken Potts just got a BBC obit, if you want to look.

The final survivor then is Lou Conter, still looking quite well last year:

https://eu.redding.com/story/news/local/california/2022/12/07/california-pearl-harbor-uss-arizona-survivor-veteran-lou-conter-honor-those-killed-day-of-infamy/69705909007/