Death Impends

Derby Dead Pool 2023

22 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

One we overlooked perhaps @gcreptile? No mention of him on the site but definitely picked.

David Brewer died on 28 May and received a QO: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/07/04/sir-david-brewer-obit-garter-knight-lord-mayor-insurance/

Also, looks like a birthday death!!!!

With Avant, Amirov, Bredin and Walser, it is another mega update. Pace is immense this year.

At least the bulk of these people are three-four sentence obits.

I've voodoo cursed Jimmy Carter now haven't I?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, YoungWillz said:

One we overlooked perhaps @gcreptile? No mention of him on the site but definitely picked.

David Brewer died on 28 May and received a QO: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/07/04/sir-david-brewer-obit-garter-knight-lord-mayor-insurance/

Also, looks like a birthday death!!!!

With Avant, Amirov, Bredin and Walser, it is another mega update. Pace is immense this year.

Good one. Yes, last year, there was a minor poet who slipped by (Guardian obit). I discovered it 4 months late or so, unmentioned on the forum, etc.... Sometimes these obits appear months late, you know how it goes. The Times/Telegraph deep state aristocrats are also a likely object of such a missed obit. I will, of course, check, for any missed hits before the year is up.

I think that I also have to write something else next weekend. Nothing dramatic, but you know, I didn't sign up for this job for life.

• Like 2

Jason Liversidge, world record holder for a couple of things while suffering from MND, reportedly dead: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-12409639/Man-scaled-Mount-Snowdon-world-record-holder-diagnosed-motor-neurone-disease-10-years-ago-dies-aged-47.html

Picked by D*thr*y in 2021. Leave it up to you @Death Impends as to whether he qualifies for the List of the Missed: https://www.derbydeadpool.co.uk/deadpool2021/celebs_L.html#liversj021

• Like 2

Okay, I'll score Renata Scotto and ISIS guy today (with 9+3 pts!). And Michael Parkinson is then the 200th hit of the year.

Do I hear...record?

• Like 2

On 17/08/2023 at 10:28, gcreptile said:

Do I hear...record?

It certainly seems that the DDP is on track for a record year.  

The revised estimate is now 292 as of the end of July.  It was 290 at the end of June. 

July had 22 hits, plus obits for the ISIS leader and Brewer, so a total of 24 added to the June total of 161.  

As of writing on 19 August, there are 200 hits total. A updated estimate from July is 207 by end of August, with the older June estimate at 204.

Currently, the monthly hit rate is still greater than 0.7 hits/day (21 hits/month), and the yearly rate is well above 0.8.  It is entirely possible that using these base rates that the final totals are being underestimated, but that error will be reduced with each monthly update.

Spoiler

July update

January February March April May June July August September October November December
2023 29 59 82 110 134 161 185 206.7 227.7 249.4 270.4 292.1
monthly rate 0.935 1.071 0.742 0.933 0.774 0.900 0.774 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7
yearly rate 0.935 1.000 0.911 0.917 0.887 0.890 0.873 0.851 0.834 0.820 0.810 0.800

June estimates

January February March April May June July August September October November December
2023 29 59 82 110 134 161 182.7 204.4 225.4 247.1 268.1 289.8
monthly rate 0.935 1.071 0.742 0.933 0.774 0.900 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7
yearly rate 0.935 1.000 0.911 0.917 0.887 0.890 0.862 0.841 0.826 0.813 0.803 0.794

• Like 2

Yeah, the thing is, it's not even close, and it's not like we've run out of gas by now - with about 10 likely names on the deathlist and the Drop 40 people who supposedly were a sure thing. 

• Like 3

Alright, I shouldn't delay it any longer...

I will be leaving the DDP committee after this year's competition.

It's been four intensive, record-breaking years and the time for turnover has come.

I have already said as much earlier this year, and received some interest in the position.

If you can imagine yourself being part of the committee, write me, or Death Impends or Banana. We will come back to you.

Earlier in the year, we asked so that you can express an interest. Now we're asking SERIOUSLY. 

You need to be able to handle Excel and a bit of Access. The requirements and tasks of the job haven't changed.

You should be able to handle the database, to import/export files from Excel to Access and vice versa.

A tiny bit of .html can't hurt.

I will not be gone and can provide help if needed. I ...might... however, not be around during the change of year, it's still an open question right now.

But if you write to us, we will reply. I will probably send some files in September so you can familiarize yourself with the structure of it all.

There is some effort involved in getting the game running at the beginning of the year. It depends on how clean the data is. Once everything is set up, updating the database is actually a little trivial because there's a little helper program for that.

Updating the scores only takes maybe 15 minutes every couple of days.

Keeping the database up-to-date during the change of year is a little more time-intensive. But I hope to transfer something usable so that this process only takes a few hours (each year).

I will leave for a week-long holiday on Tuesday. So please think about it and message me/us in the meantime.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 2

58 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Alright, I shouldn't delay it any longer...

I will be leaving the DDP committee after this year's competition.

Bad news, although expected, are still sad.

Thank you so much for your great work, @gcreptile.

It won't be the same without you. :(

Enjoy your week-long holiday.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 08/08/2023 at 22:23, An Fear Beag said:

Fuck it.

I was one of the 4 who had him last year. I dropped him this year because I didn't think he would score enough. Not Drop 40 obviously, and with 3 other teams picking him, he was never going to be a unique ...:facepalm:

On 09/08/2023 at 00:51, YoungWillz said:

Ach, I've been away all evening and to my knowledge he hasn't picked up a QO yet anyway. You can take solace in that. Until the QO does come in. 

Hitchon did QO at last, so now you can get angry @An Fear Beaghttps://www.telegraph.co.uk/obituaries/2023/08/22/nick-hitchon-nuclear-scientist-seven-up-granada-television/

• Haha 1

Any reason why Roy Swetman didn't get a write up in the last round of obits?

4 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

Any reason why Roy Swetman didn't get a write up in the last round of obits?

Bloody figures I'd forget about one of the hits when I had this much of an obit pile.

He'll be there next time.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Death Impends said:

Bloody figures I'd forget about one of the hits when I had this much of an obit pile.

He'll be there next time.

At least you know we are reading them. ;):reading-glasses:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, YoungWillz said:

At least you know we are reading them. ;):reading-glasses:

Oh the comparison of the ISIS guy's tenure in office to Liz Truss damn near killed me. 

• Haha 2

On 20/08/2023 at 21:58, Captain Hemlock said:

I think I may have mentioned this before but you have the wrong Joe Schmidt listed. I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be this guy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Schmidt_(American_football)

As the person who has Mr Schmidt on his team, I can confirm.

Just an FYI – Nick Hitchon has now secured obits from The Telegraph, The Times and The Guardian.