Dying Probably

Electoral Deadpool 2023

1 hour ago, wannamaker said:

Former Tory MP for Leicester Sir Derek Spencer is a hit for @Gooseberry Crumble, his death gives them their first 4 points (3 for position +1 for unique pick).

Cheers for the heads up .

• Like 1

Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi would've been a very popular pick in next year's Electoral Deadpool (if there is a 2024 edition), but alas, he died too soon. @diego was the only one to take a punt on the former A.C. Milan president, and he gets rewarded with his first 7 points (6 for position + 1 for unique pick).

• Like 2

Former MP, MSP, MEP, & president of the SNP Winnie Ewing got her E-Wings. Mrs Scotland died without seeing her dream of Scottish independence.

Winnie wanted to get out, and thanks to her death, @Bibliogryphon gets independence from the 0-points club, gaining 2 points (1 for position + 1 for unique pick).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Longtime Italian politician Arnaldo Forlani, who, among other things, served as Prime Minister, has died at age 97.

Forlani is not only the second Italian PM to be a hit in this game, but he's also the second hit that's shared between two users, @The Old Crem gets 1 point, and he's now tied for 3rd place, whilst @The Daredevil gains its first 4 points of the game.

• Like 3

Conservative New York senator, brother of the much more famous William, and (according to Wikipedia), one of the few people in modern times who served in the judicial, executive, & legislative branches of government, James L. Buckley, has kicked the bucket aged 100.

@DeathBecomesThem continues to extend the gap between first and second place, getting 3 points with the death of the senator (2 for position + 1 for a unique pick).

Longtime Italian politician Giorgio Napolitano is the next hit here. He practically did everything in Italian politics: Deputy, President of the Chamber of Deputies, MEP, Minister of the Interior, Senator for Life, and President. His death completes the trifecta of Italian electoral deadpool picks, following the deaths of Berlusconi & Forlani.

He is by far the most popular hit in the pool, giving points to 12 users. @theoldlady, @chilean way, @tracy, @P94, @Thatcher, and @Hell all get their first points of the game, leaving 2 users still at 0 points.

@diego is now in second place, while @MariNisia and @The Old Crem share the number 3 spot.

@DeathBecomesThem is still at the top, but only 1 point separates first from second place.

• Like 5

On 27/05/2023 at 18:04, Dying Probably said:

A majority of Californians say Sen. Dianne Feinstein is no longer fit to  serve, new poll finds

Feck, I might be getting lucky on this one

You did get lucky.

Dianne Feinstein was the longest serving female senator in US History, the longest serving senator from California (as well as being the state's first female senator) & at the time of her death, she was the oldest sitting member of the senate. She had previously been the mayor of San Francisco from 1978 to 1988. 

Feinstein's steadily declining health would've probably made her one of the more popular picks for next year's electoral deadpool, but just like Berlusconi, she didn't make the starting line.

@Dying Probably gets 3 points with her death (2 for position + 1 for a unique pick).

• Like 1

Martti Ahtisaari died over a week ago but I forgot to update this game. Oops.

He was a diplomat and peace negotiator who helped in the independence of Namibia. He became the president of Finland in 1994 and supported Finland's entry to the EU, and he won the Nobel peace prize for his efforts to resolve international conflicts.

He is a hit for 3 teams. @Hell reaches the 10 point mark while @Thatcher and @MariNisia share third place with 14 points each.

• Like 2

Henry Kissinger, a legend of diplomacy to some, a monstrous war criminal to others, is a surprising unique hit in this game.

Just like previous hit Ahtisaari, he was a Nobel peace prize winning diplomat. The thousands of deaths that were caused by the numerous dictatorships that he supported and the brutal bombing of Cambodia surely don't make him worthy of the accolade. But opening relations with China was good, I guess.

Former host @Dying Probably gets 4 points (3 for position + 1 for a unique pick) with the death of the realpolitik afficionado, and now sits in third place with 15 points. 

• Like 1

The first woman on the Supreme Court, Sandra Day O'Connor, is the next hit here.

O'Connor served as majority leader in the Arizona Senate, and was nominated to the Supreme Court by Ronald Reagan in 1981. During her tenure she was considered as a "swing vote", since she was able to side with both the liberal and conservative sides of the Supreme Court. 

O'Connor is a hit for @The Daredevil @Dying Probably and @DeathBecomesThem, DP is now at second place with 19 points, while DBT stays at first place with 25 points.

• Like 1

Jacques Delors, considered as the architect of the modern EU, has died.

I was never good at doing these "mini" obituaries, so I'll go straight to the points.

His death gives @Ulitzer95 his first points of the game with 4 days of the year remaining, better late than never!

He is also a hit for @theoldlady @The Daredevil & @Hell, Hell is now in third place with 18 points.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, wannamaker said:

Jacques Delors, considered as the architect of the modern EU, has died.

I was never good at doing these "mini" obituaries, so I'll go straight to the points.

His death gives @Ulitzer95 his first points of the game with 4 days of the year remaining, better late than never!

He is also a hit for @theoldlady @The Daredevil & @Hell, Hell is now in third place with 18 points.

I thought it was reasonable to assume at least 1/2 of the names on my list were guaranteed to die in 2023. How wrong I was!

1 Phillipe de Gaulle 
2 Sir Patrick Duffy
3 César Yanes Urías
4 Frank Field
5 Jimmy Carter
6 Ma Shitu
7 Jacques Delors
8 Miloš Zeman
9 Roland Dumas
10 Abdullah CD

• Like 1

On 31/12/2022 at 12:38, gcreptile said:

Alright, I'm pretty blank on names, but here we go:

1. Biren Sing Enghti (Indian MP)

2. George Mitchell (USA)

3. Jimmy Carter (USA)

4. Violetta Chamorro (Nicaragua)

5. Dennis Skinner (UK)

6. Yasuhiko Funago (Japan)

7. Raul Castro (Cuba)

8. Alberto Fujimori (Peru)

9. Mahmoud Abbas (Palestine)

10. Ion Iliescu (Romania)

Subs: Dianne Feinstein (USA), Manmohan SIngh (India)

Thank you!

Oh that was a complete dud, my worst deadpooling performance ever.

Eddie Bernice Johnson adds some late drama to this pool.

The Texas congresswoman is a hit for former host @Dying Probably, giving her 7 points (6 for position + 1 for a unique hit). DP is now in first place with only 1 point separating first and second, and with the year ending in a few hours, it seems unlikely that this is going to change.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHAT?!

I put her on because she was old and no other reason: crike.

@Dying Probably has won the 2023 edition of the Electoral Deadpool, congrats!!!!

Eddie Bernice Johnson's extra point was enough to give her the win.

FINAL SCOREBOARD:

Dying Probably- 26 :party:
DeathBecomesThem- 25
Hell- 18
diego- 17
Thatcher- 14
MariNisia- 14
The Old Crem- 12
The Daredevil-12
theoldlady- 11
arghton- 11
Bibliogryphon- 10
P94- 10
chilean way- 7
tracy- 5
Gooseberry Crumble- 4
Ulitzer95- 4
LizLemon- 2
gcreptile- 0

Now I'll begin to sort the teams for the 2024 edition...

• Like 6

Congratulations, Dying Probably!

• Like 1

Thanks all! Glad to have finally managed to win something: even if it was my (formerly) own pool!

• Like 2