Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2023

There is a strain of annoyance unique to the DL Cup, when the clever, obscure pick you unearthed is picked by only one other person - and they're your opponent. Still, I don't fancy Casey Quinlan's chances of seeing Easter.

• Like 2

Ha, I see the same phenomenon with the Sir Creep/Banana name. That one I didn't know.

3 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Ha, I see the same phenomenon with the Sir Creep/Banana name. That one I didn't know.

MY pick. He STOLE it. (had them last month and no update)

• Haha 1

Good luck everyone involved.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What a pity that Sakamoto's death was only disclosed today, I would have at least won a few more points here, even not getting to my opponent

• Like 1

Congratulations Wannamaker! Good luck for the next round! Sakamoto was my ticket to pass this round but It took too long..and my joker had a rebound from death's door on the 5th of March so I'm disappointed but I know I lost to a strong competitor

• Like 3

The typo on the teams that had Sakamoto scared me; but it appears upon a second look that our match is Ryuichi-free!  Then again he died last month, so it was moot.  Does that mean subs come into play?

On 01/04/2023 at 16:44, gcreptile said:

How many times I’ve had that happen, my unique name is my opponent’s too lol.  Ah well, it’s a good name should he live.

• Like 1

Where would the DL Cup be without an endless parade of old-ass handegg types entering hospice on the 29th of the previous month? First up, who's causing mischief out there in the standings? It's just Gilliam. Frank Gilliam was one of the first Black scouts in the NFL, and was a cornerstone of the Minnesota Vikings' recruitment network for nearly four decades. gceptile gets a unique captain hit, and I'm in for a long, long month....

... as typified by our second hit, Butch Pedersen. Pedersen was the coach of West Branch High School's Bears, who took home state titles in 1989, 1991 and 1992, with Pedersen himself being name national high school coach of the year in 2017. He had been battling a rare blood cancer and entered hospice last week. alt obits guy, Grim Up North, Banana and DevonDeathTrip all get captain hits, and gceptile gets to heap indignity on me.

gcreptile 11 vs SpadeCooley 0
deadsox 0 vs MariNisia 0
Hell 0 vs alt obits guy 6
Grim Up North 6 vs CaptainChorizo 0
Banana 6 vs Sir Latte 0
msc 0 vs wannamaker 0
Annami 0 vs DevonDeathTrip 6
An Fear Baeg 0 vs Captain Hemlock 0

• Like 6

Martti J. Kari picked here is (suprisingly) now conscious and tweeting again, but nobody seems to know his current condition and he's still in hospital. I think there's still a strong chance he won't make it to May, but we'll see. 

• Like 2

Sudhir Naik, an opening batsman from the 1970s who made a handful of appearances for India at test level, was this round's reliable "get hospitalized at the end of the previous month" pick. Accordingly, a whole handful of teams score here, and deadsox/MariNisia is now our only bore draw.

gcreptile 14 vs SpadeCooley 3
deadsox 0 vs MariNisia 0
Hell 3 vs alt obits guy 9
Grim Up North 9 vs CaptainChorizo 0
Banana 9 vs Sir Latte 0
msc 0 vs wannamaker 3
 An Fear Baeg 3 vs Captain Hemlock 0

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Spade_Cooley said:

Banana 9 vs Sir Latte 0

This is gold. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Joey Russ said:

This is gold. :D 

Nescafe Gold. :lol:

undefined

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Shocked 1

The comic book writer Rachel Pollack, who helmed the Doom Patrol series after the departure of Grant Morrison, has died aged 77. Pollack was also an expert on the tarot and her Seventy-Eight Degrees of Wisdom: A Book of Tarot is apparently often described as the "Bible of Tarot". Still, looks like she drew Death (XIII) last month, and her entry into hospice care was eagerly noted down by some savvy Cup players. wannamaker gets a captain hit to inch further ahead of msc (who also scored), I become joint second-top scorer with my captain hit but still trail gcreptile (who also scored) by eight points, and Hell's captain hit sees them still trailing alt obits guy on average age.

gcreptile 17 vs SpadeCooley 9
deadsox 3 vs MariNisia 0
Hell 9 vs alt obits guy 9
Grim Up North 9 vs CaptainChorizo 0
Banana 9 vs Sir Macchiato 0
msc 3 vs wannamaker 9
An Fear Baeg 3 vs Captain Hemlock 0

• Like 4

Well Kenneth McAlpine was a hit here so there’s one missing hit. Not sure of anyone else though 

9 hours ago, Joey Russ said:

Well Kenneth McAlpine was a hit here so there’s one missing hit. Not sure of anyone else though 

This round?  Not according to the list on page 12 of this thread.

Strange how the hits have dried up after just a few days.

I've been expecting news on Casey "Mighty Casey" Quinlan from April 1st on, but she just keeps on hanging on.

https://www.caringbridge.org/public/caseyquinlan

I've never received 20 points in a Cup round, and now I am one Jimmy Carter and/or Mighty Casey away from that.

16 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Strange how the hits have dried up after just a few days.

Sums up the year tbh so far.

10 minutes ago, msc said:

Sums up the year tbh so far.

Teresa Taylor, the Kat Bjelland of 2023?

• Like 1