Spade_Cooley

Deathlist Cup 2023

Okay, maybe another death after all, a Reddit thread says that my pick Mike Romans died on the 22nd:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, gcreptile said:

Mike Romans has a tribute from the funeral home, which doesnt count. The memorial is on August 4th. So it's possible he wont score here:

https://www.tributearchive.com/obituaries/28540963/michael-stephen-romans/milwaukee/wisconsin/prasser-kleczka-funeral-home

I’ve read the obit and fail to see how he passed the litmus test.  He owned a pub.  Anything else?

I am going out on a limb to be the first to congratulate gcreptile for his Deathlist Cup victory.

Great job for the whole tournament!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

D331LDrX4AEuwMF?format=jpg&name=large

gcreptile goes one better.

gcreptile 32 vs alt obits guy 0

• Like 4

On 19/01/2023 at 05:24, msc said:

It's a simple game. Random draw, teams of eleven and, at the end of the day, reptile beats msc alt obits guy.

Fixed that for you.

• Haha 2

7 out of 11 dead in a month - none of them picked by other team - amazing research work.

Well done reptile!

EDIT: And sort of 8 as one never made the start line.

• Like 3

@gcreptile The majority of your team dead in a month...nah, I don't buy it. You're definitely killing them. See you in a Netflix docudrama in a couple of years' time.

• Haha 1

Squonking to the title!  
You are the best, @gcreptile

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Grim Up North said:

7 out of 11 dead in a month - none of them picked by other team - amazing research work.

Well done reptile!

EDIT: And sort of 8 as one never made the start line.

Eight unique deaths would have made it 36-0, which of course is the biggest ever win in a competitive professional football match

The only silver lining for alt obits guy is that altobitsguy doesn't work as a verb nearly as well as squonk

• Haha 4

Astonishingly good performance but Reptile is the king of this Cup. I should know, having lost about fifty times to the guy.

• Like 1

@gcreptile, congratulations on an incredible win.

You're an exceptional player and our...

5m29as47t16er0.jpg.3fe6c1c7c08a429bec0347cf4ea37b9b.jpg

• Like 5

I don't know.. is it time to reply to the congratulations? I hope AltObitsGuy doesn't mind, as there are 10 hrs left... (to get 7-8 hits)

Anyway, thanks for the congratulations and the compliments. I don't know what happened to me this year that I just walked through this whole competition. I actually did a little less research than previously, and just focused on the core terms and, most importantly, only in the final days of the previous month. The rest was the forum (like Rachel Pollack, or Tom Sizemore) and "borrowing" (like wannamaker's Cheri Pies and Christopher Fowler, borrowed from Banana's B-team last year!). My best pick might have been Daniel Ellsberg, a universally known name (no research required!) who stuck precisely to the pancreatic cancer timeline. But it all worked out, and I'm super-glad to end on this high note. Maybe the secret was, as so often, the defense, i.e. not having missed a significant name, except for maybe Tongo and Rolf Harris. But the ratio of hits/misses was quite good. And well, I played the most Cup games of all, so the experience might matter.

As I said last year, I might be available for hosting next year. I think I won't participate then as a player. I can't imagine a better finish anyway.

Thanks to my opponents for the spirited games, and to Spade for hosting this tourney.

• Like 14

Congrats.

• Thanks 1

Congratulations!  Well done! 

• Thanks 1

We're all going to look foolishly premature when Allen gets a 37 point swing in the next, err, 4 hours.

@gcreptile You wanted to go out on top. I think you're actually leaver on a higher note than that. Congratulations on the most one-sided victory in the history of this pool. I suppose you'll keep your secret for success just that, a secret.

I will continue to check on the apparent list of immortals I selected this round. They are an assortment of deathbed, comatose, ventilator-aided, terminally ill souls. They may not have died this month, but I promise I will save face by year's end...and still not have enough points to have won.

Well done!

:clap:

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, alt obits guy said:

@gcreptile You wanted to go out on top. I think you're actually leaver on a higher note than that. Congratulations on the most one-sided victory in the history of this pool. I suppose you'll keep your secret for success just that, a secret.

I will continue to check on the apparent list of immortals I selected this round. They are an assortment of deathbed, comatose, ventilator-aided, terminally ill souls. They may not have died this month, but I promise I will save face by year's end...and still not have enough points to have won.

Well done!

:clap:

Walid Daqqa reminds me of last year's name Nasser Abu Hamid. He got quite a lot of obits when he eventually died in November. So Daqqa is a name to remember. Munawwar Rana could be a future Alt Obits pool hit. James Cathcart is going soon, just not THAT soon. The mayor from Grimsby was on my list, too, but you'd want more info on how he’s doing. 

• Like 1

Congrats Reptile, more hits in one match than I've managed in 4 years of cup competition.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, gcreptile said:

Walid Daqqa reminds me of last year's name Nasser Abu Hamid. He got quite a lot of obits when he eventually died in November. So Daqqa is a name to remember. Munawwar Rana could be a future Alt Obits pool hit. James Cathcart is going soon, just not THAT soon. The mayor from Grimsby was on my list, too, but you'd want more info on how he’s doing. 

The only misstep I truly made was having forgotten about Cheri Pies when making the list. Considering I'd had her in June, no excuses. Wouldn't have mattered in the grand scheme of things, anyway.

• Like 1